Puppies/Dogs around babies...

Art40

May 31, 2011
Any dog owners with advice on training for being around babies?

My wife is pregnant and due in 4 months and we have a puppy who's nearly 5 months old. A couple of days ago my wife took the dog when visiting her friend who has a newborn baby and although she was generally well behaved there were times when my wife was concerned that the dog will need some extra training. Things like wanting attention when my wife was holding the baby, jumping up, grabbing things etc.

The dog training has gone quite well so far so i expect her to carry on progressing as she matures over the next few months until our baby comes along but we are thinking about what else we may need to do.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Yesterday i met someone who had a friend who got a child's baby doll and used that before the birth to help with training the dog, like training the dog to not interfere when she was holding the baby doll. Not sure if that's something to consider.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
A lot of what you are talking about is something that just progresses as the baby enters the home and the dog matures. You will have to be watchful in the beginning because puppies love babies (says the woman who has had 4 puppies in the last year and a half) good luck these things really do work themselves out, just remember the pup is for all intents and purposes a baby itself.

Step23

PF Regular
May 16, 2011
You have to think when your baby is born, the puppy will be about 10 months old. Dogs can do a lot of maturing in a short amount of time. With continued work on behavior - as appropriate to the puppy/dog's age - your family should be fine.

You don't mention what breed your puppy is. It always seems to me the medium to large breed dogs become very protective of young children in their families - more so even than the adult members of their family. I shouldn't be surprised if your young dog bonds very strongly with your new arrival!

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
The only thing I can think to add is that I've always heard to try to introduce them to each other in a neutral area (not a place the dog might consider their own territory).

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I always thought it would be too stressful to have a puppy at the same time as little ones, which is one of the main reasons why I decided a long time ago I wouldn't get a dog at least until my kids are quite a bit older and I am done having them. That's just me though.

Aside from that, I highly recommend getting some kind of professional training, for any dog! You don't have to have a problem dog for training to be beneficial to you. You'd be amazed at how much easier handling your dog can be if you just take a short professional training class of some sort. And really they're not THAT expensive. I worked at PetSmart and their program is EXCELLENT in my opinion and I think its like $120 these days for the whole course. Its really worth it, I see huge differences in the dogs and their owners after taking those classes.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero - how long is that course? We're thinking about getting a dog in the near future and one of the things I think is most needed is training. I think people who don't know how to handle their dogs and have untrained dogs have very stressful environments. If I'm going to have a dog I don't want a bunch of stress with it.

When I was growing up we had an "outside dog" but that was on the farm, there was always plenty of shelter for him and he roamed free. Even though I have 6 acres, you can't exactly let a dog run free these days, and while I'd probably build a nice kennel and have an outside dog, because that's what I'm used to, DW wants the dog to be able to come inside, and she was saying well, maybe it could be outside and just come in part of the time (like when I'm out of town and she wants more feeling of security..) but I don't think that's fair to a dog, to keep changing the rules...Seems like that'd be impossible to train appropriately. So, I'm going down the route of an inside dog well trained to stay off the furniture etc....

The kind of dog to get is also a struggle (sorry to hijack the thread, but it's related) We want a kind of "protector dog" one who'll be a good companion for the boys and a protector of them/us, we prefer a larger dog, sorry, if we're gonna have a cute little thing, we might as well get a cat. We have a fair amount of weed growth around the proerty and I'm assuming he'd get to run "free" in fields and such part of the time (while accompanied but not on leash) so we hant something that it isn't too bad to clean burrs and such out of fur....We're tending toward wanting a mix over a purebred to avoid a lot of purebred health issues and having papers isn't important to us. DW wants an Akita or Shepard, I'm thinking about seeing if we could find one of those breeds mixed with maybe lab or retriever...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
http://training.petsmart.com/classes_puppy_ed.shtml[/URL]

http://training.petsmart.com/classes_beginner.shtml[/URL]

The classes are six weeks long, one day per week and I think its like 2 hours per day. Its always the same day a week, whichever day and time you sign up for to begin with. The links give you a pretty good idea of what they cover, but trust me there's even more involved.

I think aside from training, the second most important thing is socialization. Take the dog around people as much as possible right from the beginning and keep up with that, it can mean the difference between a friendly dog and a skittish dog. Socialization really matters more than people realize!! I agree that proper training and whatnot can really lower the potential stress of being a dog owner. :)

As for a good breed, I personally (this is just me) would avoid the lab/retriever breeds just because they are more difficult to train, high energy dogs. They are beautiful and sweet and loyal and have great fun loving personalities, but unfortunately like I said they are a little harder to train and their high energy levels can be difficult to keep up with (they're jumpers and chewers and have a hard time focusing etc). Of course this doesn't speak for every lab/retriever out there by any means, but the statistics are up there so I just wouldn't take the chance if I were getting a dog. Akita's are sweet but they are very high maintenance to keep groomed. You HAVE to either learn how to groom them properly yourself and purchase the tools to do so or you have to cough up the money regularly to have it done by professionals. Sure you could just neglect to get it done, but your dog is going to get pretty nasty looking and he will be really uncomfortable if you do. I would keep that in mind with any long hair breed you might be thinking of.

German shephards are great, very loyal and intelligent, they CAN be a little on the high energy side but they are at the same time pretty easy to train, plus their fur is short enough that you can just give him a bath and run a brush over him every now and again and he'll be good to go. :) Great Dane's and Mastiffs are gentle giants, big sweethearts in most cases that I have seen, BUT they also eat enough to break your wallet and they tend to slobber lolol. A couple breeds I am particularly fond of myself, and that have been known to be good family pets, are Newfoundlands and Bernese Mountain Dogs. They are known for their sweet and calm nature and great with kids, and usually easy to train too. They are both long haired and would require grooming though, and the Newfies are droolers, but the Bernese Mountain dogs actually do NOT drool much! I always thought that was pretty cool.

Its so hard to pick lol. There are a lot of great breeds out there and you just have to remember that no matter what breed you're looking at, it really is just the luck of the draw. Every dog is different just like every person is different. So when you go to see a batch of puppies or something, take your time and get to know them and really figure out which one seems like the right puppy for you. :)

Step23

PF Regular
May 16, 2011
IADad ~ PetSmart does have an excellent program for dog training. You might also be able to find something through your local community, if they offer classes. The dog obedience classes that I've gone through were about 8 - 10 weeks, meeting once a week. The important part is the work you do with the dog at home. It is so worth it, though.

I have had dogs throughout my life (I'm currently 51), including purebreds and "mutts." I love them all. Personally, I think for a family with kids I would take a serious look at Boxers. They are about the size of a Shepherd, extremely loyal and very protective (especially of children!). They have a "mean look" that intimidates those who have no business being in their territory. (They have a "smushed-in" snout, and many people think they are a tall bulldog) They are very smart, not known for health problems, and are a short-haired dog, which requires very little maintenance.

mjgates

PF Regular
Jun 29, 2011
It seems many people fear the introduction of the dog and newborn baby, and rightfully so, particularly for the first child as the parental protective instincts are new and very high. The biggest part of the introduction is knowing your dog, and making the dog feel comfortable. First thing I did was take a couple of blankets he was wrapped in at the hospital, and put them in my dogs beds so they would get used to his scent before he came home. I did that both nights we were at the hospital. Not sure if it actually helps, but certainly doesn't hurt if the hospital is close to home. I wasted no time with the introduction. I did not leash either dog as they are more likely to feel protective when in any type of constraint. I did, however, have my arm on the dogs chest so if either decided to jump, I could easily push them back to a standing position. I introduced each dog separately so I could control them if needed. They will sniff, eyes will get wide. They are getting to know the newest member of the family. Introducing the baby is the easy part. It's the toddler stage that takes a little more work to make sure the child knows how they are allowed to treat the dog. I have been places before and watched toddlers abuse their dogs, and just like a human, every dog has a point to where it will defend itself. It drives me crazy to watch parents allow this to go on. Then they will be the first to blame the dog if it bites or even gives a growl as a warning. This is the stage that most unfortunate incidents happen, and 9 times out of 10, it's on the owners. Having the kids feed the dogs, give basic commands, and teaching them how to treat the dogs with respect will not only teach the dog that the kid is above them as part of the pack, but keep almost all accidents from happening.

I worked with a Rescue group for some time before I had kids, and one of the biggest reasons incidents with kids happened and we ended up with the dogs was owner neglect. Then once we had them, we found out, more often than not, that the dogs weren't bad with kids, but the kids were mistreating the dogs.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I would also suggest a boxer and if could get my hands on one I would. Akita's I never suggest...8 stitches later on my oldest was all it took to stay away from that breed and that wasn't the first incident. Same for a few friends. Short hair is not necessarily easier either, it has a lot of draw backs especially if you have a good amount of fox tails around the property. Up until recently I have always had outside dogs and only recently have had inside dogs and the inside dogs spend a lot more time outside then you would think. I like the balance and don't have to worry about them getting cold in the winter. Labs are good but I learned when having Marley that they take a LOT of training and as hard as I tried Marley still had a side of him that was hard to control...we know how that ended :(.

I also agree with mjgates about the dogs getting snappy when little ones are left unchecked with dogs. Dogs should be patient but what the owner asks of them needs to be realistic. Dog training is great but the children need to be taught also.

Zero~ puppies and babies really isn't that hard. But I am a sucker for a cute dog puppy.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
My experiences will be different because I have two outside dogs. They are both pretty big dogs as well. Charlie is 100lbs and Alakay is about 70lbs. Alakay is a nut, Charlie is a good boy :) Part of that has to do with age, the rest is just temperament. Anyhow... when I brought Ilo home, I would let the two of them sniff the car seat after Ilo was out of it. They became familiar with his scent. They would also see me walking with him, and could see how careful I was with the baby. They got the picture pretty quick. Even Alakay! Then I would let the two of them sniff Ilo's rear. I held his hands and feet in (so they didn't have anything to nip at) and they smelled him. I just did this for many days until they could get to the point were they weren't so excited about it. Now that Ilo is bigger, and they know each other better, they get to sniff him all over. Ilo thinks it hilarious!

I would do it differently for an inside dog. Training is a good idea. Baby or not! And congrats on the baby!!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
It is true that certain breeds are better around children than others, and I'd definitely suggest training. There's some excellent advice on here so far. But in most cases, animals sense that babies are to be protected. Even my parent's feral kitten that they found abandoned and that still draws blood from my mom when he plays with her never once attacked my nephew who was a baby at the same time the cat was a kitten and who "played" very roughly with him. I've seen dogs that bark, growl, and snap at strangers (such as me) as they enter the house, but who allow a toddler in the family to sit on them, tug at their ears, hit them with toys, etc., and not even run away.

On the other hand, animals are animals. You can never predict what will happen, no matter what training they've had. I know I'm going to draw a lot of heat here, but you have to be ready to give the animal up if it does not do well with the child. I'm sure you already know to keep a close eye on the pet whenever it is in the presence of the child for months and years, even if it seems to be great with the child. Personally, I would consider a nip or minor scratch here and there with a toddler a learning experience and a tiny bit of character building. But infants are a whole other thing.

I had a cat when my child was born. He'd been with me for 8 years. He'd traveled with me from Greece, to the US, and then to China. I was very, very attached to him. It would have killed me to give him up, but I was prepared to do so if I'd caught him lurking around my daughter after she was born. He sniffed her a few times, and then avoided her.

Also be prepared. No matter how much importance you put on your animal now, it will lessen significantly after your child arrives.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
as everybody else said -- professional training + supervision, and you'll be allright. no animal is as perfect for a young child than a BIG dog.

a lot of people make this mistake that they treat a dog like a baby, but when a real baby arrives, they "forget" the dog. then a dog gets really jealous.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Step23 - The PetSmart classes used to be 8 weeks long, its a bummer they shortened them. They still seem to be doing a good job though, thankfully.

I agree boxers are AWESOME dogs!! So funny and they have awesome personalities, great with kids etc. Great dogs, and short hair too which is nice. They are super high energy though, a little harder to train kinda like labs, but still very smart.

M2M - I am a sucker for a cute puppy too! And kitten lol. Mostly its just me trying to make life as easy as possible on myself, because really I could make it happen if I really wanted it. Know what I mean?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
thanks everyone for the breed advice. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on that adventure yet. A slobbery dog is definitely out. And I think we'd try to find maybe a 2-3 yo rescue dog, so we know something about temperment and don't have to go through the puppy phase..plus there are dogs that need homes....I'm not sure what training is like on a little older dog like that, I'mguessing it's possible but harder work.

Thanks again.

Oh and M2m not so much foxtail, although some, and it's not as problematic as the problem weeds we have a ton of: Sand burr and Cockle burr....I remember trying to get cockle burr out of my collie's fur when I was growing up,. scissors is about the only way.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Choose the adoption option! For sure. :) There are so many great pets out there that need homes, that's awesome that you would go for that before shelling out all the rediculous cash people want for purebred puppies. When I have had pets in the past, I have only ever adopted. And yes, older dogs can still be trained - you'd be surprised at how easy it can actually be!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Xero said:
S M2M - I am a sucker for a cute puppy too! And kitten lol. Mostly its just me trying to make life as easy as possible on myself, because really I could make it happen if I really wanted it. Know what I mean?

We've had the "I'm pregnant" post so I am just waiting for the "we have a new pup post" LOL

IADad said:
thanks everyone for the breed advice. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on that adventure yet. A slobbery dog is definitely out. And I think we'd try to find maybe a 2-3 yo rescue dog, so we know something about temperment and don't have to go through the puppy phase..plus there are dogs that need homes....I'm not sure what training is like on a little older dog like that, I'mguessing it's possible but harder work.

Thanks again.

Oh and M2m not so much foxtail, although some, and it's not as problematic as the problem weeds we have a ton of: Sand burr and Cockle burr....I remember trying to get cockle burr out of my collie's fur when I was growing up,. scissors is about the only way.

Ugh, we have cockle burrs also and Fatso's coat would drive me crazy with them! So far those are ok with the short coat but the foxtails are slowly becoming the bane of my existence, right along with goatheads.

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
Chiming in a bit late, but it's been my experience that most dogs will be more curious than anything else about the baby, then ignore it once they figure out what it is. They will (in most cases) become protective and put up with all kinds of torture from pulled ears to being crawled all over from the little one. I think they kind of see the baby as the newest member of the pack and it's their job to look out for them.

We have two dogs, a Lab/Great Dane mix named Harley at 72 lbs and a Vizsla named Pete at 61 lbs. That 72 lb dog has taken to my daughter and is almost inseparable from her. Where he could easily pull her off of her feet while on the leash, he will be right beside her at all times, a courtesy I assure you he does not extend to the rest of the family. When we are wrestling around or tickling and such he runs in barking and has to have his nose right in the middle, barking all the while, making sure she is ok and he gets his share of attention. He is the first to hop on her bed in the morning and the last out of her room at night. She feels the same way about him. They are a pair, those two. I have no doubts in my mind that if it came to it, he would give his life to protect her.

Dogs and kids go together...

By the way, both dogs are adopted. Harley as a puppy from a woman who was splitting with her boyfriend and Pete from a local animal rescue.

Big slobbery dogs are awesome... :)

Last edited:

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
kdryan, my big guy is a dane/lab mix too. Well, he probably is since we don't know for sure since he is a rescue dog. He was about 8 months old when we got him and he was severely beaten and nearly starved to death by the time the shelter found him tied to their door. Somebody tried to make him a fighting dog. Thank goodness it didn't work. It took two months for anyone to be able to touch him. My son was 2.5 years old when I got him. Charlie has been pretty much the best dog ever...except separation anxiety. We would have to tie him outside when we left because he knew how to get to where I worked and he would follow, or he would destroy the house trying to get out. Luca and Charlie have always gotten along very well and Charlie will let Luca do anything to him without even yelping. He is 100lbs, and can easily knock a little one over, but he is a gentle giant.

Alakay, the younger crazier dog, is also awesome with Luca. He is pretty much a lunatic, but will just love on Luca all day long. We got him as a puppy. But I didn't train him well. He also got a terrible case of ticks which he infected the house with. Now both of my guys are outside dogs :( But they don't seem to mind as much as I do.

You just have to watch dogs with kids. It should be pretty easy to tell if the dog feels that he has a higher place in the 'pack' than any of the other members of the family. At the first sign of that, the dog has to go. I had a friend who had an Akita who was great with 3 of the kids, but felt like he held a greater spot in the pack than one of the kids. About a year after they had the dog, it attacked the one child, nearly ripping his face off. Can't risk something like that happening. They put the dog down and later got a boxer who was a great dog.