Puppies/Dogs around babies...

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
One thing about 'rescues.' We went through the local SPCA, but a lot of the rescues for pure breed animals are nothing but scams. We had experience with those too. There are people who scour Craigslist flagging every ad for a dog that asks any kind of re-homing fee, pick up any free animal, then adopt it out for a large sum. It's called 'Flipping' and it's very common.

One rescue we looked at wanted the person dropping off the animal to pay for all food, medical care, and boarding while waiting to be adopted. Fair enough until you realize they were also asking the same thing from the person wanting to adopt the pet on top of a hefty adoption fee on both ends. Then they had the nerve to call themselves 'not for profit.'

Scams are everywhere and if you doubt it, try putting an ad on C/L and ask a re-homing fee or flat out money for a dog.

Last edited:

Art40

May 31, 2011
Thanks for all the great replies and advice, it's really interesting to read about other people's experiences:).

<I>A lot of what you are talking about is something that just progresses as the baby enters the home and the dog matures.

You have to think when your baby is born, the puppy will be about 10 months old. Dogs can do a lot of maturing in a short amount of time. With continued work on behavior - as appropriate to the puppy/dog's age - your family should be fine.
</I>
From our experiences so far i can see how this is so, things just happen naturally. I remember in the first month we had her how she would just wee and poop on the floor in the house even though we let her out every hour, it was a bit frustrating. Without us doing anything different she never does it indoors now and often waits till she's off the path in the grass on her walk.

We've been training her ourselves and she's been to lots of puppy socialization classes. We have her booked in for some training classes in december.

We've just got a pram/pushchair/car seat combination thing. I'm going to take her for a walk with that to get her used to walking behind it. Will be funny if we meet anyone who wants to look at the baby but finds it empty!

She's a miniature schnauzer. We picked the breed as i'm allergic to dogs, they've always set off my asthma. However it's amazing with her, i never thought i'd be able to live in the same house as a dog but i don't have any trouble at all.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Art40 said:
We've just got a pram/pushchair/car seat combination thing. I'm going to take her for a walk with that to get her used to walking behind it. Will be funny if we meet anyone who wants to look at the baby but finds it empty!
Well, you could always borrow a baby to take for a stroll. I don't know any parent that would fight you for a half hour of freedom.

and as for the combination rig, be sure when you put it in the car that the base is fastened properly AND that you ALWAYS put the handle down when the carrier's inthe base. It won't work properly and can be very dangerous with the handles up. I see people driving around with the handle up and I want to stop them and explain the danger, but of course, I don't, so you get my lecture here...;)

sirbeigealot

Jul 4, 2011
We have a Pitbull and a Miniature Dachshund.
When babies and young children have come to the home, the Pitbull is excellent and loving towards the children. The Dachshund is a little more suspicious and cautious, but also does well. We just show love to our dogs which may seem obvious, but especially in regards to the Pitbull...he is just a big ball of love, which is attributed to the love we give him, IMO.
So my advice is to just be loving to your dog, play with him, hug him, pull his ears and tail playfully (this gets them used to kids doing that) and in turn I think the dog will have that kind of disposition.

alwayssmile2

Jul 9, 2011
I would be protective at first till i knew the dog wasnt going to snap at the child. just to be on the safe side. shouldnt be an issue though