"normal" 4yo behavior...

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
What do you consider normal 4yo behavior? Lieing, regressing, hitting animals, using mean words (hate, idioit, and cuss words), taking a really long time to do most things (getting dressed, eating, washing hands), and just a general negative attitude. I'm at a loss.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
1dayatatime said:
What do you consider normal 4yo behavior? Lieing, regressing, hitting animals, using mean words (hate, idioit, and cuss words), taking a really long time to do most things (getting dressed, eating, washing hands), and just a general negative attitude. I'm at a loss.

lol....yeah that's not normal unless it's Jeffery Dahmer's kid.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
on some level, some of those things are normal (lying, taking a long time to do things can be normal, and sometimes an attitude) but the rest I agree with Fooser

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I feel like a crazy person. Have I ever mentioned being a step parent sucks? If I make it till 18 I'M gonna need theraphy. Thats not funny about Dahmers kid. I'm working on it though. I've made an appointment for a professional. I just want the most "normal", healthy blended family we can have. Thats for the response.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
honestly the hitting and language issues would be of the biggest concern to me. lying is her way of testing her limits, regressing I would say comes from having a little brother and wanting the attention he's getting (we go through it there too) and taking a long time to do things and bad attitude are totally her age. Aggression and language like that however shouldn't be ignored. Good for you for stepping up and wanting to get her help. Where is her mother in all of this? She has to see too right...is she going to support finding out what is causing your little girl to acted out like that? Something is making her feel awful and I think she is lucky to have a mom like you who is willing to go the extra mile to find out what it is.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Sounds like she has ODD. I would for sure get her in to be diagnosed. There are medications if it is in fact ODD. It does not "cure" her but it can help her to behave a bit better. I would not allow this child to be around my other children or to be alone.
Yea, the Jeffrey Dahmer joke wasn't funny at all. This is a serious issue and a very sad one. Keep us posted.
http://aol.mediresource.com/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=1489&channel_id=9&relation_id=25326[/URL]
Please read. The only reason I know this is because a friend of mine has a son with this as well. Please read the bottom of the article. Your child has all the same symptoms.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Thanks MusicMom. I have never heard of ODD. Thats really awful. The scary part is Mom has alot of the symptoms of conduct disorder. This information is really good to have but at the same time terrifying.

Fallon- Mom thinks DD issues are our fault. She will often believe DD over my DH and bad mouth us to her. It sounds like this when repeated by a 4yo,"shell is a jerk. Daddy is a jerk" The whole situation is terrible for DD.

I'm really hoping a professional evaluation can help. Mom sorta agrees but just because I'm the root of all evil.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
1dayatatime said:
Thanks MusicMom. I have never heard of ODD. Thats really awful. The scary part is Mom has alot of the symptoms of conduct disorder. This information is really good to have but at the same time terrifying.

Fallon- Mom thinks DD issues are our fault. She will often believe DD over my DH and bad mouth us to her. It sounds like this when repeated by a 4yo,"shell is a jerk. Daddy is a jerk" The whole situation is terrible for DD.

I'm really hoping a professional evaluation can help. Mom sorta agrees but just because I'm the root of all evil.
I don't know much about the dissorder, but it sounds like learned behaviour from the mother in my opinion not some affliction teh child has

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
>>>Thats not funny about Dahmers kid.

lol....well it was just to let you know hurting animals is NOT normal unless you're evil. That's just sick...and the kid is either messed up in the head, or the parents are not doing their job. Pick one.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well we already know the mother of htis child is not doing a good job so the child is not evil Fooser. Show a little respect to the parent that is trying to make a difference in this child's life

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
1dayatatime said:

I just don't get parents that bad mouth the other infront of the children...it is so sick, and harmful in ways they don't understand...Good luck to you and DH. I hope your dd gets help she needs