"The Question"...

macoops

PF Regular
Jan 4, 2011
Wisconsin
urgh. How can I get my boyfriend to pop the question already! lol. we talk about it a lot and I know he's been talking about it with his family and other people. But then when he sees me looking at dresses and stuff online he gets all weird. Men. Anyway. know anyways I can trick him into asking soon rather then later (he's the type to drag his feet) lol. I wanna be made an honest woman. haha

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
macoops said:
urgh. How can I get my boyfriend to pop the question already! lol. we talk about it a lot and I know he's been talking about it with his family and other people. But then when he sees me looking at dresses and stuff online he gets all weird. Men. Anyway. know anyways I can trick him into asking soon rather then later (he's the type to drag his feet) lol. I wanna be made an honest woman. haha
You can't. ;)

Why is it so important anyway?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
If he's talking to you, his friends, and his family its probably a lot closer than you think.

As for the being weirded out when he sees you looking at dresses. Its probably because he thinks your moving to fast...not that he's not going to ask you soon, and not that he's not read. Jet that be hasn't even asked you and you're already planning.

BTW. Amber (my wife) apparently had a dress, photographer, and caterer all in mind before I even asked her. That's what freaked me out.lol

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Tell him you are a born again virgin and you are saving yourself for your wedding night.

Just kidding!!

I can't help you with this one. I ask my husband to marry me :D

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well, when he sees you looking at dresses he's probably going, "Holy crap, there's no way we can afford all this...."

I was thinking the same as Julie, why not propose to him?

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Guys are often slow to pull the trigger. If I read your profile, you already have three children, and certainly that's an added factor to an already-huge commitment.

I know this seems radical, but have you talked to him about it? I mean, it's such a ridiculous taboo in our society. I'm divorced now, but 8 years into my marriage, in therapy, it came out that she had always been angry with me because I'd "taken too long to propose." Really? Why didn't she say anything at the time?

Anyway, just find a quiet time, sit him down, and tell him you'd really like to get married. You don't have to "propose" to him, but you could certainly get a sense of where he stands on it, maybe set some general timelines.

Isn't that sort of communication about difficult topics the hallmark of a truly good relationship? Why not start now?

~S

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
sbattisti - the little baby they have together is the only child involved, I think actually.

And you know macoops, all you can do is wait! lol and throw some hints! My husband and I didn't get married until after we were together for like four years. It doesn't change anything really lol, just a pretty ring and a piece of paper, and of course the title. Everything else, still the same. :) Don't worry, he will ask in his own time. I bet he wants to have the ring and stuff all prepared first. And if it takes too long, then you could always ask! :p

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Xero said:
sbattisti - the little baby they have together is the only child involved, I think actually.
Oh, duh. I saw the "8-10-12" in her sig and immediately thought "kids who are 8, 10, and 12." Mah bad!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
sbattisti said:
Oh, duh. I saw the "8-10-12" in her sig and immediately thought "kids who are 8, 10, and 12." Mah bad!

:wink: now that is something i would do!

Ask him or wait. He knows it's what you want so unless you take the first step you are gonna just have to hang on.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Would you marry me?
Now have him read the top part out load and scream Yes before he has a chance to realize what he just asked :)

Satori

PF Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010
Australia
Maybe his taste in clothes is different from yours :)
Seriously though I think if he gets the feeling he is being hounded, he might start to panic and dig in.I can understand your need to be a proper family and I figure that's what little Jackson needs more than anything else and I hope it works out for you.

macoops

PF Regular
Jan 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Satori said:
Maybe his taste in clothes is different from yours :)
lol! I really don't hound him. I don't bring it up first. Anyway. I guess I'll just wait. :rolleyes: Doesn't mean I'm going to stop looking at dresses though. I'm the "like the be prepared" type. haha.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
macoops said:
You guys are no help. lol
Sorry :eek:

You know - if he has discussed it with his family, I think you can be pretty sure that he will ask at some point. Perhaps he's planning something grand, or to do it on some special day, or perhaps he's just searching for the perfect ring before he does. There's a lot of pressure on a guy to get the proposal "right", you know :p

If it is really that important to you, then talk to him. Its way better than resenting him for years like sbattisti's wife (WTF?), but if you think you can without it becoming a problem, perhaps be patient for a bit longer? It doesn't sound like you will have to wait too long...

Oh, and look at dresses all you want, but don't let him catch you. ;) If it was me and I caught my GF looking at wedding dresses before I'd even asked her, it would freak me out a little too - like, wow, do you have a date already? Am I on a deadline here that I don't know about?

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
macoops said:
Id rather wait then ask him. lol. Plus, I don't think he would take me seriously if I did ask him
Well, then wait! :D But, if you reach a point where waiting is hurting your relationship with him. (i.e. you're getting angrier and angrier about it), then you HAVE to say something.

mumdevoted

Banned
Jan 15, 2011
london
would you really wanna get married to someone who was forced into it!!! I no I wouldn't...

Either you bite the bullet and ask him @ the perfect moment or take a chill pill... if the marriage and proposal aren't genuine then whats the point?

good luck ma...x