"The Question"...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Don't worry, it was just a spammer. That post was deleted along with all the rest of them. :p

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Well, honestly my husband was thinking about asking me before my brother interfered and told me he was going to ask me and then my brother asked if I would say yes and I said and I would and so my brother went back to my now-husband and told him I said yes... so basically in a nutshell we had an indirect proposal. XD Stupid brothers.
Anyway, I guess if you don't want to ask him then you could always suggest just getting a regular legal marriage without the dress and everything so then you guys being together will be on paper. And then he can take his time with wanting the actual ceremony. Its what my brother and his wife are doing. But theres is not so much because one is dragging their feet, it has more to do with finances. She wants a big wedding that he can't afford (her parents won't pay for it).
So that is one option. Or, so it doesn't feel so bad waiting, you could talk about exchanging something that I ironically like to call "promise" rings. Not the sort with promising to keep your virginity, but the sort where you promise to be together forever. Not EXACTLY like getting engaged but about a step down. You could also tell him, if he is a big commitment freak, that an engagement is not necessarily a commitment. Because it can be broken off at any time and the wedding could be set for YEARS in advance. I had a friend who was engaged for THREE years before they set the date to September of this year. Can you imagine that?

howquaint

Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA/Sun Valley, ID
My best friend talked her guy into proposing before he was ready. It resulted in a nothing-special proposal (she didn't give him time to plan anything sweet) and her feeling insecure about whether or not he'd have done it without her pushing... If it's going to happen, it will happen!