rare looking rash question....

3timesmommie

Jan 18, 2008
Hamilton,Ontario
I know by describing it no one will know exactly what it is but my daughter is 4 and going to Junior kindergarten, well two nights ago she had some mild looking red blotches on her legs chest and arms, and tonight after bath I was drying her and it has gotten much worse and it;s in the crease of her arms and behind the knees, anyone experience this before I am going straight to the doctor tomorrow morning but any info would be helpful.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It could be a few things. Does the behind the knees look dry? and the crease of her arms? If so she could have excema. Only one of my daughters gets this. The best things so far has been aquafor. I load her up with it for a few days and it goes away. I only use caress soap with her since it's gentle and none drying. I put baby oil on her or the aquafor after a bath.
I have to be careful with her after a day at the pool because clorinated water gives her flare ups.
The Dr has recommended different creams and lotions that were prescription but aquafor by far has been the best.
The rash could be from that or she could have a virus that's just starting or going away. I've seen this with my daughter as well. Never a fever or any other symptoms. Sometimes she'll be a bit tired. The inside of her elbows will itch her. The aquafor helps with that and makes her feel better.
I hope this helps. It will probably come and go. You just have to be careful with things that dry out their skin. :)

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
If anyone is an expert on rashes, it's MusicMom. I feel like I'm going to catch something just by being on the same thread with her!

:yikes:

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I use to use Aquaphor all the time as well! Good stuff there! Still use it on chapped cheeks.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
I use to use Aquaphor all the time as well! Good stuff there! Still use it on chapped cheeks.
we call it magic cream around here...my dad started that when I was little cause the name was hard for me to say:)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
wow I didn't know it had been around that long. When we started using it (free sample in the mail) no one I knew had even heard of it. It really is magic cream. It was the only thing that helped Nichole's bad diaper rashes. Of course that stopped working as well and then we switched to the cloth

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
wow I didn't know it had been around that long. When we started using it (free sample in the mail) no one I knew had even heard of it. It really is magic cream. It was the only thing that helped Nichole's bad diaper rashes. Of course that stopped working as well and then we switched to the cloth
the doc always gave me samples at his office and I would chuckle cause my grandparents had reccommended it to me also. we love it...seems they have jacked the price up a bit over the yrs but it's worth it to have around

3timesmommie

Jan 18, 2008
Hamilton,Ontario
I am back from the doctor and he said it was exema, he said I needed to play detective to find the cause, either a soap or a detergent, so when he had said mabey an allergic reation to something she ate well now I can't even recall what it was so I got a perscription for this cream and I hope it works, thanks for your replies.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Both my kids have eczema. Different people have different triggers. Since I switched over to perfume and dye free soaps and detergents my kids haven't had any flares. Yeah! Both kids also have food allergies, but for them, their reactions typically don't involve eczema.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
After she takes a bath rub her down with aquafor. If you can try and give her a bath every other night. That'll help the oils in her skin to do their job. After their baths I'll tell them to come and get their baby massage (in their jammie shorts). I put angel harp music on and they lay on my bed and I massage their little feet and they giggle, I do their hands and their faces (that's their favorite) I gently do their backs. This gets the aquafor all over and relaxes them at the same time and then they are ready for bed and they get a great night sleep.
I switched all our things over to no scent, hypo allergenic everything and nothing changed so I went back to all the things we used to use. They use my caress soap and rarely get bubble baths (it's drying) I'm glad you found out and it eased your mind. :)

3timesmommie

Jan 18, 2008
Hamilton,Ontario
Caress soap is good, I use it myself, this Aquafor cream, is it available here in Canada, I live in Ontario and I'm out shopping tomorrow i'll look for it.I love to massage my baby and my oldest it seems like a good way at the end of a busy day to connect with your kids.

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
To add to the already great advice you have received, I have a daughter that had terrible excema from allergies. For her it was a food allergy. I found most creams limited in their effectiveness, including the prescription ones my doctor prescribed. I had better success when I put a thin layer of zinc ointment on top of the prescription cream. It seemed to seal off the area and protect it as it healed. Also, she was less inclined to scratch it with the zinc on.

I also used fish oil from the health food store, but while it really did help, the smell was undesirable and we could only use it on the weekends as sending her to school smelling "fishy" was sure to lead to teasing.