Rash - HELP!...

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
So I took my daughter to her 9 month visit. As I'm getting her ready for the doctor I notice a rash. Its all over her back and stomach. When the Dr. comes in I ask her about it and she tells me it's from the weather and to bathe her in different soap and not every day. So I go out buy new lotions and soap with no perfumes and make sure there's no alcohol and all that jazz.

Well, over the past week or so it's still there. We happened to go to the Dr. today because of an ear infection/URI and I asked about it again. It was the CNP and not our normal Dr. and she said the same thing. She also thought that my little monkey could have been working on the ear infection and URI then.

I just wanted to know if I should be more persistent or let it ride out. I have done everything they have told me. I even started using my humidifier all day trying to keep the house more moist.

I'm a first time mom so that's why it may sound weird to some that I'm worrying so much. I'm really trying not to make a mountain out of a mole hill but I don't want to be one of those stories where it was worse than what the Dr.'s thought.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance!!!

jrrsmom

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I am thinking that it's probably due to the infection. What soap were you using and what soap ar you using. Natalia had really dry sensitive skin so we use Gerber Grins and Giggles in Oatmeal, Lavendar, or Sweet Pea and always use the corresponding lotion scent. It works really well and they smell really good.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my dd breaks out in a rash everytime the weather changes, she's been ill, I buy a cheaper soap, or whatever...she has her whole life. when she was a baby, and sometimes now if it gets bad, I would give her an oatmeal bath. Aveno makes a nice one for babies, I use it whenever Logan has a rash also. I would give it about a wk to clear up before I worried to much

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I was using Johnson and Johnson head to toe and the lotion too. I also was using the Johnson and Johnson moisturizing wash. I switched to Aveeno baby wash and lotion. I have used the Grins and Giggles before. I think I might worry too much. :p

The only reason why I'm worrying so much is because its been since 11/27/2007.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Well Johnson and Johnson is notorious for bad products. Many babies have bad reactions to that!

But if you are concerned, what does the rash look like? Fifth disease is a rash (not as serious as it sounds) also german measles is a rash and also not that serious of a problem. I would say that if you are that concerned, you should go to another doc. I have been pushed off when I insist something is wrong with my baby and no one believed me, it always turned out I was right and they were wrong.
Has she ran any fevers? diarrhea? anything like that

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
She hasn't had a problem with Johnson and Johnson before.

The rash looks like clusters of little red dots on the belly and back. In some places they are raised. She has had a fever and diarrhea but they said that was from the ear infection and URI.

I would take a picture but she's taking a nap.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
heres hand foot and mouth disease
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:tDYggW3sWlmiAM:http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/DSCF3371.JPG[/url]
its not the best pic but the rest are like crazy severe!

It sounds more like hives to me from what you describe though and that can be from any detergents, soaps, new perfumes that you are wearing to something new at church or daycare if she goes.

Has she had any vaccinations recently, that can cause hives as well

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
She's on amoxicillan (sp) for the infection. She had a flu shot on the 27th but I noticed the rash before. I haven't changed anything as far as perfume (don't wear any) or detergents. My Child Care Provider hasn't changed anything either. That was the first thing I asked.

EDIT: I just read about hand foot and mouth disease. She hasn't lost her appetite and she doesn't have anything in her mouth or on her hands and feet. That seemed to be the most noticeable things.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My daughter would ALWAYS get this right before or right after a virus. Once the virus is over it goes away. She's six now and doesn't get it so often. Give her benedryl. (of course ask your dr for the dosage) but it will help it go away.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I might have to call Monday and ask about the Benedryl. It seems to be more on her back now than anything. Could it be from being too hot? I put her in those fleece sleepers. Maybe I'm roasting her!!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it could be heat rash, absolutly! Try putting her in a light sleeper for a few nights and see what happens

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
With her symptoms I would bet anything it's from the virus. Everytime she gets sick or has cold symptoms I bet she will get it. It will only usually be on her back and tummy and buttocks.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I didn't put a blanket on her and I turned the heat down upstairs. Hopefully it will help. I just feel bad. Hope it doesn't itch.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay if it doesn't work then I have to agree with music and that it is probably from the virus leaving her body. As long as she doesn't get any other symptoms try not to worry mom

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
It seems to be a little bit better today. This is the second day on the antibiotic and I did turn the heat down. Maybe its a combination of both. Thanks everyone for all your help.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm glad she's feeling better. If it is from a virus sometimes she may get the rash without any symptoms. This has happend to my daughter as well. When she would get it I knew to keep her calm and let her rest. The worse the virus the worse the hives or rash got. It never seemed to itch my daughter but it definitly freaked me out.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
So now that I have the rash under control she's is SO cranky today. Won't sleep for anything. Normally I can lay her down and she puts herself to sleep today EVERY time I lay her down she screams like I'm beating the crap out of her. What the heck happened to my self sufficient daughter!?!?!?! Could her ears be bothering her and tha's why she cries when I lay her down? Sorry...I'm derailing my own thread. Hope that's okay!!!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
The antibiotics may not have been strong enough to get rid of the ear irratation or ear infection. How long has she been on the antibiotics? Is she done with the full dose?
The end of the virus could be kicking her butt.
My daughter is going through the same exact thing. I just gave her nose spray and a benedryl to try and dry some of the drainage up. Poor babies.
A mothers intuition is the best...if you think something is going on then you should take her right back to the dr's.
Try putting her down earlier. If she's in a crib then roll some towels up and put them UNDER the mattress to keep her head elevated, she may not have so much pressure in her little head and ears. Good luck hun.