Reasonable high school graduation party?...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I'd be interested in folks' opinions on this: My niece is graduating from high school next week. She will attend college in the fall. My sister is throwing her a graduation party with from 100-175 people invited (numbers vary by family member :p). My father, who has strong opinions about anything related to childrearing, is appalled. My sister, obviously, thinks it's a great thing to do. What do you think?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
This is a personal decision and varies for everyone. Neither DH or I got a graduation party for high school or college, but several of our friends did. I'm not sure what we'll do for our kids, but I lean toward celebrating whenever possible. LOL! All joking aside, I think a small celebration would be more appropriate, as I'd rather put the money toward college expenses, but to each is own. However, I'm certainly not appalled by such parties. How other people choose to celebrate and spend their money is none of my business.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I agree with Trina about this. It is their choice whether they have the party or not and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

My son will be graduating next year and we will probably not be having a party. He says he wants to host a BBQ for the entire graduating class, so that will be enough of a celebration.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
For us, graduation parties are for family AND friends, so we always have at least that many people invited, as I come from a very large family. Therefore, I don't see a problem with it at all.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
You only graduate High School once!

I say it's what the immediate family is comforable with doing.

Tell your father to quit being such a Grinch! LOL

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
HappyMomma said:
Tell your father to quit being such a Grinch! LOL
He can't: He's been one for too long. :p I really like my dad as well as love him, but he definitely is a bit on the Grinchy side.

To my dad, this is a mix of spoiling a kid and making too much of what he considers a basic educational expectation. In my immediate family we never celebrated a high school graduation as it just wasn't seen as a big deal.

I have a better relationship with my dad than my sister (the mother of the graduate) does. When he brought it up to me again I basically said that he can think what he wants/needs but it wasn't any of his business: Not his kid, not his money, not his time. The "not his money" part in particular made him relax a bit. :p I just hope he keeps quiet when he and my mother stay with my sister's family during graduation weekend. :rolleyes:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think graduating now a days is a huge thing and he deserves a party! Awesome reward.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm a party girl here too! I say if they can afford a party that size, then live it up!!

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Ari2 said:
The "not his money" part in particular made him relax a bit. :p I just hope he keeps quiet when he and my mother stay with my sister's family during graduation weekend. :rolleyes:
I agree with everyone here. I hope its good expierence for the graduate too and granpa doesnt make it downer. Atleast give the kid a pat on the back and tell them great job. Not all kids make it now and school is way different now than when he went.
Shew its way different now than when i went and that was 12 years ago.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
mmynedshlp said:
I agree with everyone here. I hope its good expierence for the graduate too and granpa doesnt make it downer. Atleast give the kid a pat on the back and tell them great job. Not all kids make it now and school is way different now than when he went.
Shew its way different now than when i went and that was 12 years ago.
As much as I agree with you and wish he would, there is no way he would ever say "great job" for graduating from high school, regardless of class rank or any other achievement. He just sees it as expected. (And, yep, it made my high school experience a boatload of fun, but that's a different thread. :rolleyes:) I can only hope he is grouchy the whole weekend. To repeat: I love and like my dad quite a bit. But that man can kill fun from 100 yards away. :p

Patrick702

Jun 14, 2008
I've got an idea. Let you're neice's parents decide, rather than butt into their personal business.

obie

PF Regular
Nov 28, 2007
Since you asked for opinions this is my opinion. You have the choice of whetehr to take it or not.

I think a party that large might be a waste of money and I will agree with your father, it might simply spoil a child. Perhaps the graduating senior can contribute some of their own money towards the party. That way she will understand how hard her parents work towards supporting her.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
obie said:
Since you asked for opinions this is my opinion. You have the choice of whetehr to take it or not.

I think a party that large might be a waste of money and I will agree with your father, it might simply spoil a child. Perhaps the graduating senior can contribute some of their own money towards the party. That way she will understand how hard her parents work towards supporting her.
Okay, well graduating high school is a pretty big deal and if they want to throw a crazy party, then it's fine. Sometimes it is appropriate to be spoiled.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I think it is up to the parents. I guess I don't see what the big deal is. We celebrate everything as a society. Graduating from HS is not actually "a basic educational expectation" simply because kids can drop out at 16. The graduating student had to work very hard to actually get a graduation...Party it up! Celebrate an awesome accomplishment. Have fun!

JMHO..

mandrsmom

PF Regular
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I say party on! In my family all 6 kids had a Graduation Party. In two years my sister and I will each have a graduate. Since we live in Texas and my whole family lives in Minnesota we are combining the party. So everyone comes to one, and we split the costs.

I know my daughter works hard at school and she deserves a PARTY!!