regressing after poddy training...

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
My wife and I have just recently got our daught of 3 yrs & 1 month poddy trained. She was doing great for a while, but now she seems to be regressing. She always claims it's an accident but I can't tell.

Sometimes she's able to tell us that she has to go poop before she really does, but other times a bit of poop sneaks out. It's not a lot, but it's what you'd expect if, for example, she thought it was just a fart but found out it was a poop a little too late. I suspect that's what's going on, but she can't seem to tell us. When we ask her why she's pooping in her panties, she always says "I don't know".

We've at least managed to get her to tell the truth. She used to lie to us and tell us she didn't poop (or pee) her pants, but after getting in trouble for that a few times and learning that it wasn't so much that she had an accident that she got in trouble but that she lied to us, she's been pretty good about telling the truth.

I remember the moment when this turn-around happened. She told me she had to go poop, and so I took her to the bathroom. In the bathroom, she tells me "You take off my pants, but I'll take off my panties and you go away." She's pulled this stunt a few times. I told her "Tell me the truth: did you poop in your panties?" to which she started balling out "It was an accident! It was an accident!" I told her it was all right, and that I was happy she told the truth.

Since then she's been pretty honest about her accidents, but we still don't quite know why it's happening now after she was doing so well for a while. She usually doesn't need prompting to tell us when she needs to go poop, but usually when she tells us out of her own accord, there's a little bit of an accident. This tells me that she probably wasn't expecting it (like she thought it was a fart) and when she realizes what happened, she immediately tells us that she's got to go poop.

Is there any way of figuring out what's the problem here? I'm sure it's not on purpose - by now she knows better. She's gotten in trouble several times in the past for not going on the poddy and she's been serenated with praise several times for doing it right. And it just honestly looks like she's trying her best. Is it possible that she just doesn't know how to interpret her bowl sensations (ex. confusing a poop for a fart)? Is it possible she isn't feeling anything at all until it's too late (sometimes it seems this way)? How can we tell?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My son actually went through the same thing at about the same age, and again not too long ago. It's really nothing too complicated. It was all just him holding it too long because he was too busy playing or watching a show or just in general anything more appealing than pooping. I would sometimes find him with his hand on his butt or sitting in funny positions and that was my cue to say "Go potty"!

The first time around (around your daughter's age) I just had to go back to positive reinforcement along with keeping a VERY close eye on him for the signs that he was holding it. When I saw him holding it I would remind him "Don't hold it! Go potty!" and I would make him get up and go right then. If I didn't catch him holding it then almost every time he would go a little in his underwear and THEN get on the toilet. It got messy sometimes. If he did go potty in time, then I would make a big deal out of it and I put a potty poster up with stickers that he could put on it every time he went. I would usually give him a little piece of candy every time he made it too (I know some people are against bribing with foods, but hey if it works it works). Those things combined just got him back on track.

He is now a little over four and a couple months ago he went through the same phase again. Honestly all of the other stuff that worked before did not work this time. It just got worse and worse until it was happening every day. I was at my witts end, and one day while we were at my mom's house he pooped his pants, got it all over his body and all over my mom's toilet and I didn't have extra clothes for him with me. I just snapped and I kind of went off on him (unusual for me and I can't say that's the right approach) and I made him help me clean it up, put him in the bath tub, and then made him sit wrapped in a towel on my mom's couch for the good two hours that it took to wash and dry his clothes, and he was grounded for two days afterwards. It's been like two months since then and he hasn't pooped in his pants once lol.

Anyway, good luck!! :)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
If potty training was recent, meaning in the last 6 months, then some regression is completely normal. As Xero mentioned sometimes it is just that they are so involved with what they are doing that they just completely miss the cue. If that happens with any of my little ones I make a point of starting to take them every hour or so, regardless of whether or not they think they need to go.

This is usually all it takes to get them back on track. I think it works for a few reason. One, we keep interrupting them and they don't like that. Two because, surprisingly they usually do need to go so it helps reinforce them recognizing the urge. Lastly at the end of the day, children really do want to please their mom's and dad's so lots of extra potty dances help.

I will be starting my newly turned 2 year old here ion the next week or so, so I get it.

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Both your comments ring very true for me. Yes she does get very involved in her games and doesn't want to break for even a second. She might be holding it in until she can't hold it in any longer. We usually do sit her down frequently enough and we do watch for the potty dance. Still it's not entirely clear whether she knows how to interpret her bowl sensations.