Religion at Daycare...

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
the coodenator is the one who runs and owns the centre, she is not on the floor and isn't the one teaching the children. she is the one who said religion is not being taught, /the Carer is the one running the room and teaching the children who was talking about religion.

my problem isn't really that religion was explained to my child. yes i am an atheist but if Felix grows up to be a hard core catholic or Buddhist or muslim that it his prerogative but i think he should be taught religion only for his age group... he probably doesn't NEED to know that Jesus was crucified and put in a tomb where he then came <I>back to life</I>. (forgive me of I'm a little off on the details) i just think that it is a little inappropriate for a 2/yo and i think either The coordinator lied to me or the carer is doing it behind her back. and i know it isn't 1 off because Felix has been mentioning Jesus and God for nearly 2 weeks and i doubt they are words he would say after only hearing them once

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
mom2many said:
For me the bigger question isn't the topics being discussed but that the teacher is able to separate their religious view from the topic at hand.
This.

In the case that Antoinette is discussing, though, it doesn't sound like this separation is happening. (Beyond that, I frankly think that ANY of this is WAYYY too early and inappropriate discussion for the age group Antoinette mentioned.)

Some people commented on the "Jesus died for our sins" bit, and I will too. This, to me, is where the separation is important. Assuming the kids are of a reasonable age (maybe 7+?), you can factually explain the reason Christians celebrate Easter, without including yourself in the mix. I think as a teacher of young children, as soon as you imply that YOU believe it, you're in a position of power to influence the children, and that's not appropriate. Students love their teachers and crave their approval, so if the teacher implies that THEY believe it, there is definitely some pressure there for the students to believe it too.

I would DEFINITELY speak to the director about this.

idanzalz

Apr 20, 2011
There is a big question between teaching religion as a theory and a fact. i.e. saying that Christians believe that Jesus died for their sins is very different from stating that as a fact. Religion is powerful, dangerous and sometimes beautiful, and I would not let anyone I don't personally trust, teach my child about it.

madamec

Banned
May 19, 2011
It seems to be the opinion of many that you should talk to the director. If you don't want your child influenced any further in this manner, maybe it is time to find a new daycare.

danielle101282

May 19, 2011
NC
Unless it is a religious daycare, which it seems not to be then you have a problem. I am Jewish and my kids elementary school has an after school dance program, in this program they were using very Christian songs. My daughter came home one afternoon asking all kinds of questions.The problem I had was that this was still a school program and I thought region and state were supposed to be different. I say if you feel uncomfortable about you should say something.

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
Antoinette said:
Felix is 2 yrs 4 months now and he has been saying "God and "Jesus" quite frequently at home, i asked the coordinator of his daycare if they are teaching religion and she said no. but the other day i stood at the door and his carer didn't know i was there and she was telling them about easter and how Jesus died for us and was resurrected by god etc. it was quite in detail for 2 year olds.

i am an atheist, i don't mind my children being informed about basic religion and of course we celebrate easter and Christmas etc. but i think this was a little in depth for 2 year olds and there is a muslim boy in his class who was listening to the same thing, how should i approach this matter? should i even care? maybe it isn't as big of a deal as i am making it but i think we should know before religion is taught to our children.
I would definitely approach the Daycare provider. If they're unwilling to "neutralize" their stories like that, then I'd find another day care. I would allow my children to learn of all religions, but not stemed in one direction or to the point where he feels like an outcast for not participating in those types of things nor being knowledable of them. 2 years old is young, but that's old enough to learn and misinterpret.

nekom

Dec 30, 2008
Fayette county, Pennsylvania
This is one of the things that I don't have a big issue with but I can see how others get very upset, particularly if they are of another faith or irreligious. My daughter goes to a Baptist pre-school because they had the best program out there that I could find. It's run by the church, so by nature it should be religious but really they just sing a few songs about Jesus before learning about numbers and whatnot. Doesn't really irk me, I grew up going to the United Methodist Church but I rarely go these days, however I can certainly see how some would be upset.

mrsims31

PF Regular
May 19, 2011
I can understand that you don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but I think your concerns are very valid in this situation. When your 2-year old son comes home mentioning Jesus and God on a regular basis, its obvious that this has been brought up to him several times.

Being told that this doesn't take place shows one of two things: Either someone is lying or everyone isn't on the same page. Both of these are reason enough to bring this up to the coordinator IMO (and you would actually be doing the coordinator a favor by bringing this up if she really doesn't know its taking place... you seem more understanding and forgiving than some other parents might be and she could nip this in the bud before it turns ugly)

Religion is definitely a mature subject and I seriously question bringing something like that up to toddlers (who are mostly in the dark on the subject of mortality), especially without a parents knowing approval. I would most definitely follow up on this with the coordinator.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i have spoken to the coordinator and she was very apologetic it seems the staff member in question was doing it without the knowledge of the director and i have made a complaint. the issue seems to have stopped

Pasha

May 26, 2011
Oregon
&lt;r&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Thank you for giving me something to ponder and think about so I can be prepared should one ask. As it is my home that I work out of, everyone who enters my home sees the picture. It is directly across from my front door. So all of the parents see it but I haven't had anyone comment on it. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

jessica24

Jun 7, 2011
Religion should be kept out of schools till kids can figure it out on their own. That's my opinion.

cco06

Jun 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I went to a religious daycare, and personally I wish I hadn't. It was baptist, and it influenced part of my childhood, where with my daughter I want her to know there is choices.

John Shields

Jun 16, 2011
Antoinette said:
Felix is 2 yrs 4 months now and he has been saying "God and "Jesus" quite frequently at home, i asked the coordinator of his daycare if they are teaching religion and she said no. but the other day i stood at the door and his carer didn't know i was there and she was telling them about easter and how Jesus died for us and was resurrected by god etc. it was quite in detail for 2 year olds.

i am an atheist, i don't mind my children being informed about basic religion and of course we celebrate easter and Christmas etc. but i think this was a little in depth for 2 year olds and there is a muslim boy in his class who was listening to the same thing, how should i approach this matter? should i even care? maybe it isn't as big of a deal as i am making it but i think we should know before religion is taught to our children.
I'm not for or against my kids learning religions (yes plural). When they're old enough they can learn on their own and I'll guide them to the knowledge. But I have a HUGE problem with schools teaching them.

I went to a christian school when I was young, and purposefully skipped a few daycares for my kids because they were religion based. The one I have now doesn't talk about it at all.

So... I'd pull my kids personally if I were you. But it has to be about what you want for them.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i don't mind a bit like we celebrate christmas because the christians believe jesus was (born?) on that day but i don't like Jesus WAS born on the 25th December etc because i believe it is an individual decision for the child and their parents until the child is at an age where they can make that decision. if they ever ask me anything religion based i will answer their questions to the best of my ability but i think that should be my job not those of carers at a daycare that doesn't advertise as a "christian" centre.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
When my son was born I thought about religion and how we would raise him. I too thought a person should figure it out for themselves and choose their own religion.

But i went ahead and let him get babpized, than on to Catholic religion instruction and make his communion and even his conformation.

My reasoning was that in a way I didn't think it was fair for me to force him one way or the other, but on the other hand how would he possible make a good decision if he never gets any religion instruction. I didn't think that was fair either.

I know some people say when the child gets older,he can decide for himself, but I don't think that happens most of the time because we get so busy, and when you have NO idea what so ever about ANY religion it becomes too overwhelming to go ahead and learn them on your own.

I thought what the heck, I can get myself out to church once a week for an hour and to give him a head start.

So after a certain age he didn't want to go to church anymore, and I didn't force it, but at least he has a foundation to build his thoughts on.

Just my opinion.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
well i am an atheist and i really don't want to go to church ever let alone weekly so i think my children will hear things at school (in Australia there is no "separation of church and state" law) so public schools can talk about religion they just cant do organised scripture classes. so they will come up with questions i'm sure and i will try my best to answer them even if it requires a quick google search because i'm sure i won't know the answers to most of it.

Wilburn

Banned
Jul 14, 2011
USA
My point of view on this topic is in favor of religion.All the religion teaches the lesson of truth and peace and there should be a spirituality in our self and how we may get this,, only through religion and performing rituals.So have a contact with your religion infact keep this in your self.

Baltimore Fitness

Last edited:

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
whether religion is good or bad is not the question as it is purely opinion, one which i have stated before and do not need to state again, i understand parts of the USA are conservitive and religious but in Australia unless you activily seek out religion you just don't come in contact with it. i cannot preform religous rituals as i simply do not believe in the existance of a higher power (i am not aiming to offend or saying my opinion is any form of fact, as previously mentioned it is just an opinion) it is like if i said to you "unless you believe in santa for your entire adult life you will be missing out on something" do you believe in Santa? why not? that is the same reason i cannot believe in God/Allah/Buddha/whatever... i accept religion and accept it has a place in this world i just cant conform to it. i feel this is something my children should be able to decide for themselves when the time is right and when they are old enough to understand more about it.

this was a long post LOL it is not antagonistic though, i just had a few things to say. but as previously mentioned i respect each persons right to believe in whatever they like and i would never try to persuade you to do otherwise. thanks :)