Religon...

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
my kids are starting to wonder about the world and where it came from and i couldn't answer them. i am not sure if i believe in god or not either. I think my family should have a religion because people tell me it helps with belief and provides discipline. when i was a kid my parents were catholic but didn't base their life around it. as a teen i remember vaguely trying to be a Buddhist monk and i really though i was connected when i meditated but i do not remember much else. what are your opinions on religion and how it helps with family?

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
I'm catholic but we don't go actively to church. We do try to live a good christian life which means we do our best to be nice and kind to those around us even those that we wish weren't around.

Last weekend we were talking about taking the kids back to church as they did enjoy it. There's a LOT of good lessons that can be learned from the bible whether you believe or not.

The key is choose one that everyone is comfortable with and go with it. We've gone to churches that although they were christian just didn't "feel right" while others had that just right feeling.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We go to our church every Sunday, sometimes Wednesday if it's a good class and Friday if I'm not too tired. I also do missionary work with PAWS. I'm not overly involved but my children learn alot and they can make their own choice when they grow up. I just want them to have a conscience right now and this is giving them one. Children learn the most of their religion by being brought up in it by the time they are 13, after that...........not much you can do. So I'm doing what I can now.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
One thing about Dana's parents church is they have a soup kitchen and our son loves to help out. They help any needy family or the homeless and he feels great for it. Not really 100% religious but is teaching a great example of helping out those who are in need.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I agree, charity is just great because you see people in need, and better yet you help them out! It is EVEN better when they want to because it means they want to help people. I am atheist and so are my kids, but I have no problem with church if it really helps people! :)

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
the only problem with kids in church is that they cant exactly keep sitting in one place for a long period of time. maybe i could let the kids have some fresh air once in a while.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Well you might get them involved in activities or community service run by the church. It might be great for them to help out in their local community that way.