Required nap?...

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
What are your thoughts on a 4 yo girl waking at 6:30am, nap from 12 to 2 then in bed at 8:30pm? Do you think a child that old requires a 2 hour nap everyday? I know every kid is different but....

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
young children require at least 12 hours sleep ... therefore I would say that was the minimum for a child of that age with that schedule ... but .. as you say .. every one is different

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Most kids give up naps totally by 4 or 5. DS no longer needed one at 4, and DD gave them up at 3.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
My son is just about 5, and he's never really needed naps.

I would see the 2 hour nap as a blessing for you go go have some peace and quiet. :)

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Our four year old daugther takes naps a school every day but it became a battle to get her to do it during the weekend. If she doesn't get a nap she starts getting cranky around 5pm and ends up getting in trouble from not listening.

So instead of nap time we now call it quiet time. She doesn't have to go to sleep but she has to hang out in bed while checking out some books or coloring. She falls asleep about half the time.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Good Wolf said:
So instead of nap time we now call it quiet time. She doesn't have to go to sleep but she has to hang out in bed while checking out some books or coloring. She falls asleep about half the time.
This approach worked well my my DD. :) However, she still gave up naps at 3. I stopped fighting it when she was unable to sleep through the night if she napped during the day.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I dunno. I mean if she's getting up at 630, she may just need that two hours of sleep. maybe when she comes closer to starting school change it up for her

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Good Wolf said:
Our four year old daugther takes naps a school every day but it became a battle to get her to do it during the weekend. If she doesn't get a nap she starts getting cranky around 5pm and ends up getting in trouble from not listening.

Thats what we do to. But we also don't get her up at 6:30am. Since we work from home she gets up around 7-7:30 on her own. Bedtime is still 8:30pm but she plays REALLY hard with her cousins. They have a fort with a slide you know. lol Just curious. Mom insists on a 2 hour nap. I dont think she always need one. An hour of quiet time does just as well with less fight. Thanks all.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well does she go down fairly easy? Is she easy to put to bed? If yes then Bless those naps. My dd lost her last nap at 20 months old. She sleeps 12 hours at night though

kristakmj

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
my son is 4 and doesnt nap anymore , my kids get up at 6 am no matter what time they go to bed so they go to bed at 7 and watch TV for an hour then to sleep

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
At four mine went to bed around 7:30, 8:00 at the latest. There were no more naps at four years old. They were in pre K too. The school laid the kids down for naps but I picked mine up before that. I didn't think they needed it.
Only you would know what's best. If she's tired, let her sleep.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
She's like the energizer bunny. She hits the floor running. On a "normal" day naps are difficult. If she really active outside running/playing its hard to get her to stop long enough to eat let alone take a nap. The down side like someone else said around five it starts to catch up with her and her listening skills go out the window. I'm glad I got to feel the pulse on the 4yo nap thing it helps alot. I still like powernaps myself. I used to nap everyday at work for 20min. Ahh the days at Cigna.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
My 7 year old will still take a nap on the weekends sometimes! We usually enforce a "quiet" time during the day if we are just hanging out at home or if the kids seem to be having behavior problems during the day. They usually fight it but I will check on them about 15-20 min into the quiet period (they are in their room resting) and I often find them sound asleep.

Once they get older, let them choose how they want to spend their "quiet time" but it's nice to have them chill out for a while.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I am so jealous! My son does not sleep. It's been our greatest challenge his whole life.

to bed at 9:30, up at 7. won't nap. He goes to day care 3 days a week and just sits on his cot during nap time. no sleeping involved. I would LOVE to have a couple hours of downtime the other 4 days of the week.

I don't think I'd worry, unless she seems listless during the day or something like that. As long as she is vibrant and energetic during her awake time, she may just be getting the amount of sleep appropriate for her..

Tallstuff

Jan 3, 2008
Greece
My son dropped napping at 18 months (he has always been very active). I tried and tried, without success to get him down for an hour or 2 but I fell asleep before him :SLEEP: LOL ! Now he is 9, goes to bed at 9:30 pm and wakes up at 07:15 am. I could probably have him in bed by 8:30 pm but my husband works until late and I think it's more important he sees his Dad before his goes to bed and gets some one on one time with him. At the weekends we are very free with bedtime and he is usually "done" by 11:00 pm. I find that if I don't ask "are you tired, don't you want to go to bed?" he is more ready to sleep! :laugh:
Funny though, even on a Friday night, if I let him stay up until midnight, he will still wake up at 7:15 am :)( )!!!
I guess all kids are different, some need more sleep than others. At the end of the day though, we all have the same problem....can't get them into bed up to the age of 12 and then can't get them out of it from 13 onwards :laugh: