Rsv...

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Bubba has been sick for a few days so we took him to the doc and he tested positive for RSV. It sucks I cant really do anything to help him feel better. I can only treat the symptoms with OTC stuff. Poor kid.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Oh no! Oliver is sick too. He has a fever of 104 and puked this morning. It's no fun when they're sick. What is RSV?

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Identifying Respiratory Syncytial Virus
RSV is a labile paramyxovirus that produces a characteristic fusion of human cells in tissue culture--the syncytial effect. Two subtypes, A and B, have been identified. Subtype B are characterized as the asymptomatic strains of the virus that the majority of the population experiences. The more severe clinical illnesses involve Subtype A strains, which tend to predominate in most outbreaks.[SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE]
RSV affects the upper and lower respiratory tracts, but is most prevalent in lower respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia and bronchiolitis. RSV bronchiolitis is one of the severe illnesses caused by RSV and is associated with clinical signs and symptoms of small airway obstruction.[SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE] Airway obstruction can be extremely dangerous, especially in infants who have smaller peripheral airways than adults, so it is important to know the warning signs of bronchiolitis in order to manage the illness before it becomes life-threatening.
RSV is also one of the most common causes of pneumonia in young children. The incidence is greatest from birth to age three. Clues to a diagnosis of pneumonia may be the finding of crackles, respiratory distress and dullness to percussion.[SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE]

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Lissa said:
Oh no! Oliver is sick too. He has a fever of 104 and puked this morning. It's no fun when they're sick. What is RSV?
I'm sorry for both of you that he's sick. Fever is no fun. Tylenol, motrin over and over. I did learn OTC stuff has a smaller dose on it that a dr will give. I was giving Bubba about half the dose of Motrin he should be getting for his weight.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Poor baby. We will say a special prayer for Bubba tonight. I hope he gets well soon. ^i^ Hang in there momma.

Also for Prince O, sorry Lissa I didn't see that one till now. Two sweet babies in my prayers.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Thank goodness Alex. Whew. What is going on with all these colds and sinus crap lately? These poor kids need a health break and us parents need so unsick time. :)

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
SpitNCobra13 said:
Xander's 6 week old sis had to get tested for RSV today- it involded a wire with cotton down the nose! She tested negative though.
Thank God it was negative. That wire procedure sounds pretty awfull. Bubbba had a super skinny rubber tube attached to a syringe. They slid the tube in then sucked up some snot into the syringe. Ewwwwww.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
1day and Lissa: I'm sorry your kids are sick. It sounds rough! I hope everyone gets well soon. My husband, twins, and I were sick for all of January and much of February. After a while I wanted to boil everyone in bleach to kill the bugs.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
ICK! Alenya had RSV and I took some leave and stayed with her the whole time. :) I was able to baby my baby. The coughing will just break your heart and taking the boogies! Ugh. I'll be thinking of you! It's always hard to see your little ones sick.