Rude mom at playgroup - so mad!...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ok - I just need to vent because I'm angry.

This morning I was at a playgroup with my 2 kids. There's a small table at one side of the room, with some puzzles on it, and three chairs around it. My oldest had been using the table as a stable for a toy horse, and had put the horse on one of the chairs and fastened the reins around the back of the chair.

A mom came up and started moving the chairs so she could sit at the table. My kids chair was a bit to the side, so it was a little in the way, but the mom could have easily used the other side of the table. Instead, she picked up the horse, took the reins off the chair, handed it to my kid, who was kneeling next to the chair, obviously playing with the horse and chair, then she moved the chair to the table and called her daughter over to come do a puzzle! If she thought my kid was in the way, or shouldn't be playing with chairs, all she had to do was say "Mind if I take this chair to do some puzzles, Hun? There are more chairs for you to play with over there," or something. But she didn't say a word.

A couple of minutes later, when my daughter had stopped crying and had decided to do a puzzle, too, the stupid woman had the nerve to say "You need to be polite" to her, when she reached to get a puzzle (that no-one else was using!)

When I was about to leave, I went to tell my older kid to leave, but my toddler saw the puzzles and decided she wanted to do some. I told her it was time to leave, and picked her up. She started saying "no, no, no", and wriggling to try to get loose. The other mom looked at her, then turned away and said "Wow!" It's not like it was a major tantrum or anything. Of course, I'm sure <I>her </I>kid would never do anything like that!

What at b**ch! I'm so pissed off at her, and at myself for not saying anything. I'm not good with confrontations, and at first I was just too surprised that she would actually be so rude, that I didn't say anthing.

If you're still with me, thanks for listening to me rant!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Oh Caroline, you ahould have totally "ruth wn down" on her!

And here I thought everyone in Canada was "nice."

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I dont like it when some parents get this tunnel vision, that every other child around is a mild inconvenience. Sadly, ive encountered a fair bit of it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Ugh! I hate that. Why do people have to have such rotten attitudes? I'm not so nice though, I would have said something. :p

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I guess I kinda spin that stuff a little different than everyone else. usually I would laugh, thinking to my self "some poor slepp has to come home to that high maintenance self serving peice O Crap and her clone. Every night.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
bssage said:
I guess I kinda spin that stuff a little different than everyone else. usually I would laugh, thinking to my self "some poor slepp has to come home to that high maintenance self serving peice O Crap and her clone. Every night.
Thank you! That point of view cheered me up. :D

My problem is that I stress over things and let them get to me, however much I tell myself there's no point. I need to get better at not letting things bother me. :eek: A little on-line vent is very theraputic, though. ;)

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
You could have nicely said... " Oh, I'm so sorry she's acting up! I wish you could have noticed her earlier when she was playing so nicely.. but when you took her play area away it seems to have fouled her mood. " Its called a nice slap. :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
bssage said:
Ha!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Sorry to hijack, but thursday at work I had a rude mother come into our store, I noticed though the window that she parked in the disabled parking and didnt have a sticker,

"Just a heads up, this area is patrolled and youve parked in a disabled spot"
"I have a baby *points to toddler in stroller*"
"The spot is for those who are disabled and have a disabled parking permit"
"YOU clearly dont have kids so YOU dont understand, when you fianally decide to put this 'career' on hold and start having children you will understand THEN"
"I have 5 children, and I was just warning you because I didnt want you to get a fine"

What high and mighty nonsense. But flattering that she thought I was at the "start having children" age, so ill take that one.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
There's always one in a play group who has to ruin it for everyone else.

I too wouldn't have been so nice, I use to get really protective if another adult closed in on my son. Which isn't always the correct tactic.

But you handled it your own way, and really if you think about it, it's not something to stress over she has no manners and apparently never did and you aren't going to change that by becoming confrontational.

I also find that 'ballsy' people like that usually love confrontation, and seem to "energize" by pushing people's buttons, why else in the world would someone intimidate another person's child, knowing that the parent is someplace close and might just sock em one. :unsure:

so ignoring her stupid approach was probably the right way to go.