Safety Seats for trucks?...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
as long as it fits on the seat right then yes! Nichole is also in a truck and her Britax Marathon fits just fine. Just make sure the air bag is off if you have one.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
FooserX said:
I'm now driving a pick up truck...does a normal carseat work just fine for kids in it?
What kind of pickup? No cab, compact cab, full cab? Is there an airbag on/off switch? Where is the car seat installed? What kind of car seat is your DS in now? A harnessed car seat or a booster?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Trina said:
What kind of pickup? No cab, compact cab, full cab? Is there an airbag on/off switch? Where is the car seat installed? What kind of car seat is your DS in now? A harnessed car seat or a booster?
Whoa!

It's a no cab small pickup 2 wheel drive POS with an on/off airbag switch.

He's not in any kind of car seat now.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<r><QUOTE author="FooserX;52324"><s>
FooserX said:
</s>Whoa!<br/>
<br/>
It's a no cab small pickup 2 wheel drive POS with an on/off airbag switch.<br/>
<br/>
He's not in any kind of car seat now.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
Why isn't he in a car seat/booster? He's too young to be riding without one. Child passenger safety experts recommend kids stay in harnessed car seats until at least 4 yrs. and 40 lbs.. Longer is even better, especially if a child is wiggly and not able to sit properly in a belt positioning booster. Kids are safest in boosters until at least 4'9" tall and can pass the 5 Step Test.<br/>
<URL url="</s>Boosters Are For Big Kids<e></e></URL><br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Taken from <URL url="http://www.carseat.org"><s></s>SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. Safe Ride Helpline<e></e></URL> in the FAQ section.<br/>
<br/>
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Can I put my child in the front seat of a pickup truck?&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Many pickup trucks have back seats that are too small for child safety seats. Researchers at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia have found that the risk of injury to children riding in the back seat of a compact extended-cab pickup truck is five times higher than when riding in any other vehicle. Injuries appear to be caused by hitting the inside of the pickup. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;If you have a larger pickup with a back seat that faces the front of the truck, a safety seat may be installed there if the truck’s manual recommends it and at least 80% of the safety seat’s base sits on the truck seat cushion. You can reduce the risk of injury for forward-facing children by tethering the safety seat. Using a top tether can greatly reduce the chance of a child’s head striking the interior of the pickup.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Installation of a safety seat on a side-facing jump seat is not allowed by any child restraint manufacturer.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;If you must install a safety seat in the front seat of a pickup truck, disable the air bag by using the air bag on-off switch. If an on-off switch is not available, you may ask NHTSA to let you have one installed. Until a switch can be installed, do not transport a rear-facing child in the front seat. Some passenger air bags will expand to cover the center seating position, so installing a safety seat in that location may be dangerous to your child. Check the vehicle owner’s manual to find out where child safety seats may be installed. Installing a safety seat in the front seat of any vehicle increases the risk of death to your child by more than 30%, so a pickup truck without a back seat is not the safest choice for transporting a child.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Kaytee said:
uh oh... Fooser pulle dout the Trina monster!!
Go get him Trina
LOL! I can't help it. Even though my CPS Tech certification expired this week. :eek:

Colorado child restraint laws:
younger than 1 year and less than 20 pounds in a rear-facing infant seat; 1 through 3 years and 20-40 pounds in a forward-facing child safety seat; 4 through 5 years and less than 55 inches in a booster seat

Doesn't quite match the current recommendations, but not bad.

A video: <I>Car Safety for your 4-8 Year Old </I>pcps_shell

To find a Child Passenger Safety Tech in your area:
Home | SeatCheck.org

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
don't have to tell me, My girl was rf for 2 years and is harnassed now. Of course she is only 23 pounds so has to be but...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My DS (Gr.6) just graduated out of a booster about 3 mos. ago. My DD, who is turning 10 next month, is still in a booster and will be for a long time yet. She's only 4'2" and 50 lbs.. Definitely a peanut for her age. She doesn't meet the current recommendations, and also can't legally ride without one in our state. (In CT they must be over 7 <I>and </I>over 60 lbs. to legally ride without a booster.) The seat belt does NOT fit her correctly without a booster, which would be very dangerous in the event of a crash.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I just got a Graco booster for my "bushwacker" vehicle, getting to camps, lakes, backroads etc. The vehicle is a '96 Ford Taurus...I'd like her to be in the middle, but there is no shoulder strap in the middle seat. That means I have to have her in driver's side or passenger side right?...I don't mind buying another one with it's own straps...what should I do here?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'd rather have my child in the middle and away from the side of a car in case of impact. My opinion.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad said:
I just got a Graco booster for my "bushwacker" vehicle, getting to camps, lakes, backroads etc. The vehicle is a '96 Ford Taurus...I'd like her to be in the middle, but there is no shoulder strap in the middle seat. That means I have to have her in driver's side or passenger side right?...I don't mind buying another one with it's own straps...what should I do here?

You're correct. A belt positioning booster requires both a lap and shoulder belt, so if a vehicle only has a lap belt in the center position, that's not a safe option. How much does your DD weigh? Is she tall for her age? You can either use the booster in an outboard position or buy a car seat that harnesses past 40 lbs. to use in the center, provided it installs well there. Unfortunately, there aren't many options in Canada. I know the Britax Marathon and the Radian 65 are available in Canada. Both harness up to 65 lbs.. Also, combination car seats in Canada, like the Graco Cargo, harness up to 48 lbs.. (The US Graco Cargo only harnesses up to 40 lbs.)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
I'd rather have my child in the middle and away from the side of a car in case of impact. My opinion.
Hard to do if you have more than one kid. ;) Also, if it's not possible to get a good car seat installation in the center, an outboard position is a safer option.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
when I had my car, I had to keep her on the outside as well. It just wasnn't set up to hold a car seat. It was a 2 door car though so not many will

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Kaytee said:
when I had my car, I had to keep her on the outside as well. It just wasnn't set up to hold a car seat. It was a 2 door car though so not many will
Sometimes the hump in the center, or just the way the seat is molded makes it impossible to install a car seat tightly/correctly. In some cases, it could be the car seat itself that's incompatible with the car. You can look up different vehicle and car seat scenarios at CarSeatData.org - user ratings of carseats fitting into cars in the Compatibility Database.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
What about some bungy cords and the suit case rack on top??? Kinda like Griswalds vacation? lol Ya know I'm kidding

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
What about some bungy cords and the suit case rack on top??? Kinda like Griswalds vacation? lol Ya know I'm kidding

Of course I know you're kidding, but you would be surprised by some of the set ups I've seen during car seat inspections. :(