Safety Seats for trucks?...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
Oh lord have mercy. Please tell me you have never seen such a thing!
Not on the roof, but I've seen car seats installed using bungee cords and rope. I've also seen a car seat with nothing but twine holding the harness system together on the back of the seat. :eek:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... Adorable! I love that web site. It's hilarious. :) On a serious note, pets should be restrained, too. They can become dangerous projectiles.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Ok, here's a Q for ya, Trina:

My husband has a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT. Compact cab. Currently we have properly installed car seats in the minivan, inspected and all, but DH is talking about putting car seats in the back of the truck, too. Safe, or pass? We can install them correctly, if that helps.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<r><QUOTE author="ivybendorf;52864"><s>
ivybendorf said:
</s>Ok, here's a Q for ya, Trina:<br/>
<br/>
My husband has a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT. Compact cab. Currently we have properly installed car seats in the minivan, inspected and all, but DH is talking about putting car seats in the back of the truck, too. Safe, or pass? We can install them correctly, if that helps.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
If your DH's truck had a full cab, yes, your kids would be safe in properly installed car seats, however, that's not the case for a compact cab. <br/>
<br/>
Taken from <URL url="</s>SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. Safe Ride Helpline<e></e></URL> in the FAQ section:<br/>
<br/>
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;Many pickup trucks have back seats that are too small for child safety seats. Researchers at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia have found that the risk of injury to children riding in the back seat of a compact extended-cab pickup truck is five times higher than when riding in any other vehicle. Injuries appear to be caused by hitting the inside of the pickup. &lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;If you have a larger pickup with a back seat that faces the front of the truck, a safety seat may be installed there if the truck’s manual recommends it and at least 80% of the safety seat’s base sits on the truck seat cushion. You can reduce the risk of injury for forward-facing children by tethering the safety seat. Using a top tether can greatly reduce the chance of a child’s head striking the interior of the pickup.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Installation of a safety seat on a side-facing jump seat is not allowed by any child restraint manufacturer.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;If you must install a safety seat in the front seat of a pickup truck, disable the air bag by using the air bag on-off switch. If an on-off switch is not available, you may ask NHTSA to let you have one installed. Until a switch can be installed, do not transport a rear-facing child in the front seat. Some passenger air bags will expand to cover the center seating position, so installing a safety seat in that location may be dangerous to your child. Check the vehicle owner’s manual to find out where child safety seats may be installed. Installing a safety seat in the front seat of any vehicle increases the risk of death to your child by more than 30%, so a pickup truck without a back seat is not the safest choice for transporting a child.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad, just noticed in another thread that your DD is 32 lbs.. I believe in Canada kids are required by law to stay in a harnessed car seat until at least 40 lbs.. USA CPS Techs recommend kids stay in harnessed car seats until at least 4 yrs. and 40 lbs.. Longer is even better, especially if a child is wiggly and not able to sit properly in a booster.

This means you legally can't use a booster in your bush whacking vehicle.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Trina said:
Music-dad, just noticed in another thread that your DD is 32 lbs.. I believe in Canada kids are required by law to stay in a harnessed car seat until at least 40 lbs.. USA CPS Techs recommend kids stay in harnessed car seats until at least 4 yrs. and 40 lbs.. Longer is even better, especially if a child is wiggly and not able to sit properly in a booster.

This means you legally can't use a booster in your bush whacking vehicle.
Before I was about to install, I did some research, and you are absolutely right, I'll have to keep the booster for next summer, (or feed her lots :) )

Luckily, years ago I was able to buy 2 carseats from a mom with twins, so I have installed the other one in the bushwackermobile. Fits her perfectly, just like the one in my Mustang. The bushwacker sees very little road and highway, mostly private backroads which are bumpy and unpredictable, but I never take unneccessary chances when I am driving. I'm never in a rush to get anywhere.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad said:
Before I was about to install, I did some research, and you are absolutely right, I'll have to keep the booster for next summer, (or feed her lots :) )

Luckily, years ago I was able to buy 2 carseats from a mom with twins, so I have installed the other one in the bushwackermobile. Fits her perfectly, just like the one in my Mustang. The bushwacker sees very little road and highway, mostly private backroads which are bumpy and unpredictable, but I never take unneccessary chances when I am driving. I'm never in a rush to get anywhere.

My DD (a peanut) didn't hit 40 lbs. until she was 6. Currently about to turn 10 next month, only 51 lbs..

How many years ago did you get the car seats? Did you know car seats expire 6 years after the date of manufacture? The DOM should be printed on a sticker on the back/bottom of the seat.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Trina said:
My DD (a peanut) didn't hit 40 lbs. until she was 6. Currently about to turn 10 next month, only 51 lbs..

How many years ago did you get the car seats? Did you know car seats expire 6 years after the date of manufacture? The DOM should be printed on a sticker on the back/bottom of the seat.
not sure it is true or not as I have not personally looked into it, but a friend told me that Britax says their seats are good for 8 years, but US law only allows for 6. Any ideas?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Kaytee said:
not sure it is true or not as I have not personally looked into it, but a friend told me that Britax says their seats are good for 8 years, but US law only allows for 6. Any ideas?
As a former CPS Tech (my certification just expired last week) - There is no such law. It's a guideline made by safety experts and car seat manufacturers. Britax seats expire 6 yrs. after the date of manufacture. Fisher Price car seats, back when Fisher Price made them, not the newer versions made by Britax for Fisher Price, had an 8 yr. lifespan.

Britax : Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ details

Q. How long can my child seat be used?
A. Britax recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued after six years or if the seat has been involved in a severe crash. After six years, technology has changed, components degrade from the environment (depending on how and where stored), parts get lost or installed incorrectly, or instructions and labels may not be available or not legible. The child seat may be unsafe and should be destroyed.

CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

If a car seat is used past the 6 yr. DOM date, the manufacturer is released from liability should the car seat malfunction during a crash.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Trina said:

I lucked out that they were brand new when I bought them, she got them as a shower gift, but doesn't have a car. So they are only about 3.5+ years old at this point. I should be ok up until the time she moves into a booster.