Sam got in an accident :(...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Today was a very long day. Started with doing errands with the son and on our way home I get a call from my dd and she is hysterical.

She got in accident, hit her face on the steering wheel..she did have her seat belt on it was just slow to catch...and she was driving her boyfriends truck. It's most likely totaled. The other car only has minor cosmetic damage. So off the son and i went to get her. The police offered to drive her home till they heard where we lived (we were on our way already anyways), so instead took her to a more secure location. They asked if she like sandwiches and took her to a sandwich shop which they highly recommended lol

She was terrified of telling her boyfriend. It's his main vehicle, but not his only one. Once her realized she wasn't pulling a joke on him he did get a little upset, but when she offered to pay for the truck..whatever happens after the insurance...he said it was fine and just a truck. It is an old truck, but still in decent working shape. I offered also and he said "it's all good, as long as she is okay, it was a piece of shit anyways"...aweee.

We need to find her a job closer to home, I have always hated her 50 mile one way job through some of the worst traffic. I knew it was a matter of timed. Her car won't even be out the mechanics until this weekend if we are lucky. they've had it for a month. This girl as some bad mojo going on cause the last 2 months for her have just been horrible! She has had a total of 3 cars in over a year (her current one is in the shop...blown timing belt waiting for the heads to get in) and know this with her boyfriends car. He is taking it really well....

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Good to hear she wasn't hurt. The title had me worried. Have the established cause yet?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
They were both ticketed for inattentive driving. The lady pulled out and then hit her brakes, knowing Sam, she probably didn't giver herself enough space (something I am always telling her) and while she almost avoided the lady she just didn't have enough time.

That road is notorious for accidents. It is horrible, they've added more lanes, they are always adjusting the lights. It's just a main artery and people have no patience anymore. She did rear end the lady so 'technically' it's her fault, but there were witnesses to the fact they lady pulled out in front of her which is why I think they both got a ticket. Now it comes down to the insurance.

She mentioned last night that she was really nervous to head off to work today. Today she will take the husbands truck....much bigger and would have probably walked away from the accident just fine.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm so glad she's okay! That is so scary! And her boyfriend sounds like a nice guy. :)

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm sorry to hear about the car but glad that she's ok. I can definitely understand her trepidation about driving again, but I'm sure she will handle it fine. It will hopefully reinforce the need for her to drive a bit more carefully in the future to avoid problems like that.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Why do people pull out in front of cars without giving themselves room? A young man in our state was recently charged with negligent homicide for doing that. A motorcyclist rear-ended him and died. He had no helmet and a blood alcohol level above the legal limit, but the driver who pulled out in front of him still got charged. I know there's a lot of people who have pulled out in front of me and forced me to brake, and lucky for them, I was paying attention and happened to be in an actual metal vehicle with seat belts, so even if I did bump them I doubt any one would die. But here is a young man facing up to 10 years in prison for doing what too many drivers do all the time - just because his victim was more vulnerable. It's pretty sad. High traffic areas should just have traffic lights.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
She got back on the road, but what normally takes her an hour (going to or from work) is now taking an hour and a half lol.

so here's where we are at....

We are trying to get my DD's insurance to cover the accident. She has full coverage and she doesn't want her boyfriends insurance to go up, for an accident he didn't cause. She already feels bad since his truck is totaled and he isn't asking her to replace it. Hopefully the insurance will go for it. The other person's insurance is fine with the change...now to get Geico to do it.

That would leave her out $500 from her deductible, then whatever the cost of her ticket. She also got a no insurance ticket, but that's because she couldn't find it, I'm sure she was just to rattled. Either way, her proof of insurance is all she needs, so that will get dropped. One thing the boyfriend did learn is that his insurance company can not find him in the system. He has the paperwork and went to make sure they were withdrawing the money and they are so now on his end he is trying to get that all cleared up.

top it off and her car was supposed to be done almost a week ago, then we were told today and not we are being told Monday. She is getting beyond mad and so am I, it cost a lot of money for her to keep driving her dad's truck. If this keeps up she is going to have to take her brothers and then husband and son will have to take the truck, they work a little closer then she does. Not much but enough that it will save her on gas.

I guess that's it on my end.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
It's crazy akmom, most accidents out here are because of people pulling out in front of people and we have so many deaths in the last few months of young people...2 of the kids we knew the families. It's horrible.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
OMG so scary I'm glad she's ok too.

My son has a job delivering pizza and he got it the first year he was driving smack in the middle of winter. I was so scared just waiting for that same call. But he never had an accident. whew!

Again, it could have been worse the way that road sounds, glad she's ok.