Sam's dropping out.....

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Sam has always hated school, she excell's but hates it (well not math
). This year she lost credit in a few classes cause of absneces, school is ridiculous about this, and she wasn't happy. Well the principal called her in and suggested for her to get her GED, mind you I was not happy, I had been battling this with her for over a year, and then the school mentions it without talking to me first.....after the anger I listened to her, she wanted to go to college, she was just sick of high school.

So I looked into a community college, which is set up like a 4 year, live on campus the whole nine yards, and she can do it at 17, she can take classes before her GED but we would have to pay, after her GED finacial aid will be available. I am not going to do it through the high school, I can have her done in a month through BSU versus the school which would take until well into summer (to late to get her app's for college in), I will have to pay for her to take the compass test.

SO she talked to her dad (who she is a lot like in temperment when it comes to school) and he agreed, maybe I'll go in with her and get my GED...

She is excited, I just don't think she gets how hard it will be. In Idaho you can't get a drivers license if you drop out, even if you get your GED, and the college is about 7 hours from the house (they do have public transportation) and she know that for the most part she haas to support herself, otherwise she could have stayed in high school. She made an adult choice and she will have to live like an adult, we'll help some, I won't let her go hungry, but she has do do it.

I hope we didn't make a mistake!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow! Well, I don't really consider that "dropping out," I kind of think of (right ot wrong) dropping out as "giving up" (but no jedgements there, I realize people drop out for various reasons, everybody has the things they either chose to do, or had to do...)

This sounds more like "dropping up!"

So, is she the kind of kid who get's excited about something and sees it through, or get's excited and then distracted? I don't see any reason why she couldn't excell at this (and I agree, the school shouldn't have brought it up without talking to you first) I know it's scary, but at least she has a pretty good plan....which is better than just hating HS and giving up on it without a plan.

Does she have any idea what she wants to study for a major?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
Wow! Well, I don't really consider that "dropping out," I kind of think of (right ot wrong) dropping out as "giving up" (but no jedgements there, I realize people drop out for various reasons, everybody has the things they either chose to do, or had to do...)

This sounds more like "dropping up!"

So, is she the kind of kid who get's excited about something and sees it through, or get's excited and then distracted? I don't see any reason why she couldn't excell at this (and I agree, the school shouldn't have brought it up without talking to you first) I know it's scary, but at least she has a pretty good plan....which is better than just hating HS and giving up on it without a plan.

Does she have any idea what she wants to study for a major?
I don't really see it as dropping out either, but technically that is what she is doing. I made it very clear that dropping out and doing nothing wasn't an option, she is very bright. If it is something she is interested in she will follow it through, she is pretty good about keeping her commitments.

I don't think she knows what she wants to major in, english is her strong suit, she is a great writer, her english teachers have always held her to a very high standard and looked forward to what she writes, plus she draws good (I suggested childres lit). I think she will end up there, even if she doesn't see it yet, she has a little time to figure that out so we haven't really pushed that issue.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well high school isn't for everyone, I think she's making a very responsible choice for her. I also think you and her dad are handling this perfectly. Seems you guys have a lot on your plate right now...more ((HUGS))

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I absolutely agree with her decision! Especially since she's doing something productive with her time. I agree high school isn't for everyone, and why suffer if you don't have to? You know what else, nowadays when applying for jobs places consider a high school diploma and a GED exactly the same. Seriously, every application I've ever filled out asked what level of education I had and you had to check a box next to the one that applied to you, and the one I always check (since I haven't completed any college or anything) ALWAYS says - High School Deploma/GED. They just put them in one box cause it's the same thing. People think you need a diploma to get a job and that GEDs are not as good, but that's totally wrong.

Also I've heard that the GED is really easy to get, my mom and my BF both got theirs. BF dropped out in 9th grade, and didn't get his till he was 20 or 21 I don't remember. My mom dropped out in 12th grade and didn't get hers till she was 28. My mom didn't study at all, and BF took a few short classes he didn't even feel he needed after taking it. They both did great.

I personally don't see anything at all wrong with what she's doing, and I think its AWESOME that you're supporting her in starting college right away, that's so great. I hope she loves it and does great. :)

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
:confused:huh??!!! they suggested she get her g.e.d.???:eek:looks to me like the school over stepped their rights/bounds what ever. this would really set us off if that happened here. get that principal's butt up in front of the superintendent and school board asap. he really really crossed the line it seems.

i hope ya did right too.

if it were me:
i'd be pitching the fit of all fits with both. she'd be staying in school or taking care of it all on her own with out any help what so ever. she can just calm her happy slappy butt down and take care of what's in front of her and think about what can and can't happen if she doesn't get the high school diploma. if this caused probs. with dh, he'd be sleeping on the floor (not on the couch or in the reclyner or anywhere but on the floor) until he stopped to think about what was about to happen if he allowed this. dd would be out on her own taking care of it all on her own with no handouts period. she made her bed and she can lie in it.
but hey, that's just me and what i learned through my own experiences.

she needs that last year for living the fun life before it all hits home and she really has to be responsible for things other than the grades she has in school. after high school it's all up hill. unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and some times not even then.

hope it all works out for ya.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I don't know, I totally agree the school over stepped but kids are so different. What's right for one isn't always right for the other. As parents sometimes we have to open our minds past what we want and see what's best for the individual

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
16th ave. said:
:confused:huh??!!! they suggested she get her g.e.d.???:eek:looks to me like the school over stepped their rights/bounds what ever. this would really set us off if that happened here. get that principal's butt up in front of the superintendent and school board asap. he really really crossed the line it seems.

i hope ya did right too.

if it were me:
i'd be pitching the fit of all fits with both. she'd be staying in school or taking care of it all on her own with out any help what so ever. she can just calm her happy slappy butt down and take care of what's in front of her and think about what can and can't happen if she doesn't get the high school diploma. if this caused probs. with dh, he'd be sleeping on the floor (not on the couch or in the reclyner or anywhere but on the floor) until he stopped to think about what was about to happen if he allowed this. dd would be out on her own taking care of it all on her own with no handouts period. she made her bed and she can lie in it.
but hey, that's just me and what i learned through my own experiences.

she needs that last year for living the fun life before it all hits home and she really has to be responsible for things other than the grades she has in school. after high school it's all up hill. unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and some times not even then.

hope it all works out for ya.
I had been fighting with her for a year about it, she maintained her grades and already had most of her credits, next year would have been pretty much all electives, but because she missed more then six days in three of her classes (could not be helped) they can take your credits, it is bull but you can't really fight it. She already talked to the college counsler and she told her which colleges would accept a GED. She (Sam) helped plan it, so although she is technically dropping out, she will be starting college a year early. SHe will be responsible for herself for the most part, and while in the process of getting her GED she has to help out around the house.

Like I said it wasn't an easy choice, but I think for her it was the best. We've already told the others to not even try it. Lupan is an amazing athlete and could mot likely get scholorships, so he would be a fool to not stay in school. Megan is to social she NEEDS school.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree the school should have asked, but otherwise I don't see why its a big deal. She's not dropping out to sit at home and play video games. She's going to college. I see nothing negative about it. Honestly, NO one is EVER going to care whether she got her HS diploma or GED. As long as she has one, it doesn't matter one way or another to the world (only colleges, and plenty of them take you with a GED).

If I thought my child could be successful dropping out of HS and getting their GED especially going to college immediately, I would never hold him back. You did the right thing M2M, and she's doing the right thing too.

She's so beautiful by the way. :) Absolutely gorgeous.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
We went and did the paper work today. A few of her teachers were dissapointed at first, then she told them her plan and they were happy for her. One of the teachers told me to get the GED through BSU instead of through the school, which I was already doing. So wednesday (I can't figure out how to spell it LOL) we will get the GED rolling.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
hope it all works out for the best for ya'll.

(sounds like ya kept your cool when it all started. couldn't have done that myself.)

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I personally am quite proud of her. My nephew got his GED about 3 years ago and he is doing amazing.

Xero is right, most businesses and colleges dont care (now she's not going to get into Harvard or anything like that with a GED but you get it). They are almost exactly the same thing.

I think in your situation I would have done the same thing. Not that any of my kids are even thinking of "dropping out" but if they were I hope I would handle it the same way you did/are. Good job M2M...congrats on keeping your cool!