Scared :(...

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
Felix starts kindergarden on the 1st of February, he is my first one to go to school and i am sooo nervous, he attended daycare but at the service i worked at and he spent days with his father but that was still different. this is the first day i will be away from him properly when i cant call him or go see him and i think i am going to be more nervous than he is.. any advice from parents who have been through this?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Don't be ashamed to sit in the car after you drop him off and cry. I can guarantee that you won't be the only one.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Where I live, they have a parent room with snacks and drinks, where you can chill out and meet other parents in your child's class after you drop him off. The principal or a staff member periodically walks in and assures everyone that the kindergarteners are all happy and no one is crying or having problems. Parents mosey on out as they feel ready!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww I feel your pain!! ODS goes to Kindergarten this fall too. :( He does already go to preschool, but it's only three days a week for 2.5 hours each time. Not even close to being at an elementary school all day! I'm so nervous and worried and scared. I'm going to miss him and be so sad, but at the same time I know the break will be nice too. I mainly just sit and worry that his friends and teachers will treat him nicely and be understanding with him (he is a little more work than other kids at times). I feel like the school system has half custody of my kid! lol Sometimes I'll sit and be like, maybe I'll just homeschool him! But then I'm like, no no I'm not that crazy he'll be fine. lol

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
i wish Felix's school had one of them
Maybe they will! If not, you can suggest it. I think the PTA initiated it here. (PTA = parent teacher association, a group of parents who volunteer with the schools and develop programs and activities for the students)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Its a bit different here because kindergartens are separated from schools, unless it's a certain type of private school.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Oh, I had no warm up to the older two going to school. Both of them started on the same day. Sam waved bye to me and that was the end of that. Ted ripped my coat off screaming and crying. I sat outside in my car and cried for a good 20 minutes.'

Now as each kid has aged....it was me saying bye see you later lol

It's perfectly normal to feel the way you are feeling. It's a huge step.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
But on the bright side, when they come home and start telling you about the things they learned, as if it was something that you had no idea of yourself, it's so darn gorgeous.

I still remember Dita coming home from school in prep telling me that "Did you know Mum that we live in Victoria? Did you ACTUALLY KNOW THAT? I know that." it took so much effort not to laugh at her.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I followed my son's bus to the school, and called the office probably every day for the first week asking if my son was ok and for them to make sure he didn't escape!!! OMG!

REALLY. YOUR NOT ALONE. LOL