Schedule feeding infants...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
There are many "doctors" out there (EZZO, Spock...) that say that you should feed a newborn every 3 hours, no sooner. That scheduling feeding is what you should do otherwise the baby wins. What are y our opinions on this?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I think babies, especially newborns, need to eat whenever they are hungry. And yes, they WIN....they get nutrition that they need, when they need it, and they learn that their needs are going to be met in a timely fashion, therefore developing their sense of safety and security.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm with you Teresa. I was lucky though in that my baby did eat every 3 hours form the moment she wsa born. Of course she would have growth spurts and need to eat every 1.5-2 hours at times as well, but for the most part every 3 hours.

BTW: glad to see you, you have been gone awhile.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Yeah, I didn't have a computer for almost a month...and when we got it back, I was spending most of my time at the hospital with DH, who had to have surgery for lung cancer. But all is well now, with family and computer, and I should be able to be around again!!

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I think those doctors need to be put on a schedule and not allowed to eat when they are hungry and see who freaking "wins" in that situation. Babies need to eat when they are hungry. Babies don't cry to eat because they are bored. Oh and babies make their own schedules and WE follow their schedule. Sorry but if you don't like it rethink becoming a parent. You have to give up being selfish and some people can't do that. Just my opinion.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
amen!!!! My baby may have entred into my world, but she is my world and I will adjust to her as much as she adjusts to me

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think trying to schedual a newborn feeding is just silly...they eat when they want not when you want them to. Personally I'm not much into schedualling my babies anyways. They eat when they want, they sleep when they want, they play when they want. Eventually it became their schedual and I work around that. Logan found a very nice eating and sleeping pattern all on his own

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
That is very selfish to feed on a schedule. Babies need to eat on DEMAND.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I babysit for a little boy who his mom does it that way. It is very frustrating for me when he starts crying and I know he is hungry but I am not supposed to feed him yet. I end up giving him a little water to tide him over otherwise I don't think he would stop crying.
I always fed my when they were hungry. They eventually put themselves in a schedule of when to eat.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
ljmahr said:
I babysit for a little boy who his mom does it that way. It is very frustrating for me when he starts crying and I know he is hungry but I am not supposed to feed him yet. I end up giving him a little water to tide him over otherwise I don't think he would stop crying.
That is heartbreaking. :(

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I fed mine whenever they were hungry. I even had to give my first twin cereal at two weeks old.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I fed both kids on demand. It's simply not healthy to put babies on such a rigid schedule. They need nourishment when THEY need it, not according to a predetermined set time. Several years ago I read that most pediatricians and child development experts strongly oppose Ezzo/Babywise because many babies fed using these methods have been diagnosed with "failure to thrive".

Bingo

Jan 3, 2008
My opinion is to use your own mothers instinct. Every mother has natural instincts on how to feed her baby. Sometimes people just don't listen to it because of advice from everyone else, and reading too much from books that have nothing to do with THEIR baby.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I somewhat followed baby wise with Nichole. Not the feeding per se. I fed her when she ws hungry. Lucky fo rme she was hungey every 2-3 hours so it was easy. The one thing I really liked about baby wise though, is that they reverse the feeding. They feed, wake time, sleep. Instead of the traditional feed, sleep wake routine that most parents do. I never had Nichole fall asleep at the breast (granted in the beginning she slept) I never had to worry about breaking the "my baby won't go down with out nursing or a bottle" problem that so many parents had. We just did not have food and sleep together.

***wanted to add that I would not reccomend the book for this particular thing even though I liked it. I just tell people that is how I did it and it worked sooooo well

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Kaytee said:
I somewhat followed baby wise with Nichole. Not the feeding per se. I fed her when she ws hungry. Lucky fo rme she was hungey every 2-3 hours so it was easy. The one thing I really liked about baby wise though, is that they reverse the feeding. They feed, wake time, sleep. Instead of the traditional feed, sleep wake routine that most parents do. I never had Nichole fall asleep at the breast (granted in the beginning she slept) I never had to worry about breaking the "my baby won't go down with out nursing or a bottle" problem that so many parents had. We just did not have food and sleep together.

***wanted to add that I would not reccomend the book for this particular thing even though I liked it. I just tell people that is how I did it and it worked sooooo well
That's what we did too! I read it in a book also, but now I can't remember which one, but I just remember thinking what a great idea that was. It worked out SOOO well.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
What works for one child may not work for another. ;) DH and I thought we had the baby thing all figured out with DS, and then DD arrived. They were (are) like night and day!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol. I get that. Nichole was a good night sleeper as a newborn, but even now at 2 she still is up some nights. So yep she was up every 3 hours at 3 weeks old, and 6 months, and a year, and 15 months lol
I hop ehte next one sleeps through the night sooner lol