Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Public school...

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
Felix is in kindergarten now but will be moving up to preschool next year and since the preschools are connected to the schools it means i am in the process of selecting a school for him to attend, we have visited a few but i am torn as to whether to send him to private or public. this is my first child to attend school so i don't want to mess it up. do your children go to private or public school? which is better? (i want him to do all of his education at one school for as long as possible)

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
My twins attend public school up until I married my wife, in which my father-in-law decided he would pay the tuition for them and any furture children to attend the non-religious private school. I toured the school first, read the the curriculum, etc, but we took a year to decide if it was bes for them. The kids transferred there when they were 7, and the specific school has great academic and arts programs, small class sizes and a strongly enforced zero-tolerance policy. The public school they attended at first wasn't that different in terms of curriculum and safety, but the private school offered a more personal approach to education that I really like. :) The private school had better test scores and that sort of thing, but I think that is skewed because of the initial size difference of the schools.

My kindergartener enrolled at the same private school this year and he's pretty happy there and I like how he's progressing socially and educationally.

I've always gone to public schools, though, but didn't attend them in my current country until I was 14. In my native country, the school system is extremely different! I received a great education, but my graduating was very large, so unless you specifically asked teachers to keep you motivated, the school seemed pretty dependent on students having a lot of self-determination (which isn't too easy for teenagers lol).

Every public AND private school is different here, though, depending on the area of the city they are in (we have school districts, which make initial decisions, and then the OPS that rule it all). Actually, I think that's why I like private schools, because they have the ability to be more individualistic and not all of them take the "every kid should be exactly the same" approach.

If you can, you should tour several of both types of schools (I don't know if its like here and if you want to register with the public school, you have to register at the school in your district. It was not like this in Tokyo, so it still confuses me haha). Meet teachers, principals, get curriculums, check out the facilities, and other things that may be important to you (like, for us, the quality of the lunch program was very important.. we did not like the OPS choices in that regard). If you can, you might be able to sit in on a class if you feel so inclined.

Don't get too nervous, though. I think both types of schools have pluses and minuses, you just have to decide which would suit your families' specific needs better. :)

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
we are also zoned to specific public schools but if you choose private you can select any school you wish. there are two public schools in our area. one is not very nice and the other is similar to the one i went to when i was a child, it is clean and seems to have good teachers. there is only one non religious private school that is close to us. i like it but a lot of the families who go there seem to have a lot of money and like to behave in a way that shows they have a lot of money. it has the highest graduation rate of all schools in our state though which must mean it is a good school. i am really torn.

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
That can be a problem with private schools at times, I think. Fellow parents I have met have been pretty cool, but I think that's mostly because the children my children have befriended are from families with similar attitudes. I have encountered some people who like to flaunt their wealth, but that also happened at my public school. At the private school, the kids have uniforms so they don't have to worry about criticism for their clothing choices and that sort of thing, at least. Even so, people who like to flaunt their wealth can still be pretty nice people, just with different priorities. My kids have never seemed to feel too out of place there (from time to time they do, but they are in 7th grade, so its fairly normal for the age lol).

I think that its good to consider the environment of the school as well as the education, since it can affect the education, but appearances aren't always what they seem. I knew a girl who went to private schools with tuition aid, and other students knew that, but it was never a big deal. :)

Facebook has been helpful, actually, as I have to start considering high schools and I have been able to see reviews previous students have given the school. How the students felt about it can give you really good insight (I can't remember the site specifically, but I did read reviews of schools on a special site made for that purpose).

It is pretty frightening sending the first child off to school for the first time, I think, since it is the first time you have to make these sorts of choices. You just have to make the best, educated decision you can and see what happens. Easier said than done, though ;)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
My DD is already enrolled to start grade 1 in a public school.

But I should qualify - it is officially a public school but it would be more accurate to describe it as "semi-private". The school fees are quite high, and is used to fund extra teachers over and above those subsidised by government, enabling them to have smaller classes, as well as better resources i.t.o. science labs, computers, sports equipment etc. So you have most of the advantages of a private school.

However, because it is officially a public school and because of where it is situated, there are also students who come from very poor backgrounds (poor families are exempt from paying school fees). The way I see it, a private school is a very sheltered environment where middle to upper class kids grow up without ever mixing with kids who come from different backgrounds. I just think she will have a more balanced view of the real world if she come into contact with kids from more diverse backgrounds from a young age.

IMO. School is about more than academics.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I attended a private Christian school up until about the 4th grade, then begged and begged to attend the local public school cause that is where all of my friends went. Finally she relented and I was able to go, I loved the public school much more then the private, but I was sad to loose some of those friends.

I think the best way to go at this is to ask yourself what it is you want from the school, and not just academically. Meet the teachers, meet the staff, ask to be able to sit in a classroom for a few minutes. Then trust your gut.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My experience is similar to M2M's I attended Catholic school until the 7th grade. I flourished in the public system more than the private. Although I believe all schools are cliquish by nature. I think the public school offered a more diverse selection of social groups to choose from. I was better able to "find my place" in that social structure. Which just made for a more comfortable experience.

I dont really think there is going to be a clear winner. Some are worse some are better. Maybe the social group you seek is established where you plan to attend. (for example) If basketball was my thing I would have fit in well at the private school. You can have great teachers in either environment. And IMHO its the teachers that really make a connection with the kids that you should seek out. Some schools create an environment that the teacher thrive. That is also a marker of a good school.

I imagine in larger cities I may have a different opinion due to school population gangs ect. But that is not much of an issue rural.

I think M2m was correct. Research: then go with your gut.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
I couldn't vote in the little poll above the thread, because for me it's not about private vs public school, it's about how the school is in the first place. One thing I learned in my Masters is that human being don't really learn the way the traditional schooling system wants to teach. Sadly, there isn't much education in the traditional education system.
Yet education is critical! So it would depend on the school program, on the teachers, on the depth of the rapport they can or can't create with children, on their ability to follow or stifle the children's thirst for curiosity and learning, etc...

EDIT: this is the kind of teaching that <I>should </I>happen in classes. :)

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Antoinette, have you compared the schools you are looking at on Myschool? I know a lot of people poo-poo the site, however if you are talking about general run of the mill primary schools it gives you a very good snapshot of the schools's strengths and weaknesses.

Another fun fact, Australia is only lightly zoned, you CAN apply to public schools outside of your zoned area, but you usually have to meet with the principal to discuss why you want your children to attend a school out of your zone, local kids are selected first, then if there are any places left, you can be offered one. My four older kids went to / are at a public primary school outside of our zone, because the two we were zoned for were very small schools (30 kids in one and 11 in the other) and I wanted them in a larger school environment. Sasha is going there next year.

As for the question itself. In primary school there really sin't much of a difference in educational content. Unless you are talking about elitist private schools, your average religious primary / general private primary and public are all the same. They have to follow the same curriculum, are held to the same testing standards and most of the time you have to assess it school by school.

Personally, I wouldn't send my children to private schooling, more based on a moral stance than anything else, I believe we live in a country where education is a right, and good education should not be reserved for the privileged. Fortunately for me, we also live in a country where we have public schools of a high standard.

But that's my own personal deal.

My advice, look at the myschool site, tour the schools, a good school will allow an impromptu tour outside of their planned ones, listen to what the people around you are saying about the schools and if your area has any community events, just look around and see what you can see. The one thing that really drove me to push to get my kids into the school they are in now is looking in the local paper and seeing the school getting involved, doing things in the community. Ever since Dita started all those years back there the school has only gone from strength to strength. I can't say the same for some of our local private schools.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
parentastic said:
I couldn't vote in the little poll above the thread, because for me it's not about private vs public school, it's about how the school is in the first place. One thing I learned in my Masters is that human being don't really learn the way the traditional schooling system wants to teach. Sadly, there isn't much education in the traditional education system.
Yet education is critical! So it would depend on the school program, on the teachers, on the depth of the rapport they can or can't create with children, on their ability to follow or stifle the children's thirst for curiosity and learning, etc...

EDIT: this is the kind of teaching that <I>should </I>happen in classes. :)
I know what you are saying. But I think the schools are leaning toward more critical thinking. From the Mission statment:
Mission Statement
The Keokuk Community School District provides an educational foundation where students are
active participants in becoming adaptable and critical thinkers along with achieving the skills
necessary (academic/vocational) for lifetime success.
I am not sure what that means to them. I plan to ask maybe I will send a Email to the admin.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
It shouldn't be whether a school is public or state funded, it should be about what suits each child, however, education is a right, it is not something that is only open to those with wealthy parents. I would never send my child to a public school, just as I would never use private health care.

All of our children have gone to different schools, we live in a fairly small town so where primary schooling is concerned (age 4-11) we only have 11 to choose from (one being catholic and another being CofE), then where secondary schools are concerned (11-15/16) we have 7 to choose from, however three of these are single sex schools, two being girls schools and one being a boys school. Then where college is concerned (16-18) we have four available, although they work together, so you can attend all four if you wish depending on what A-levels you are taking.

As I said all of ours have attended different schools, of course our younger three are still in primary school and then Jacksons school was chosen purely due to him being deaf, while Amelia attended a single sex school. I'm not sure where the others will go, we'll have to see which schools they choose when they're 11.

People harp on about school, but really in the end the choice doesn't make a lot of difference, 85% of a pupils academic and emotional attainment is purely based upon that pupils home life.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
People harp on about school, but really in the end the choice doesn't make a lot of difference, 85% of a pupils academic and emotional attainment is purely based upon that pupils home life.
That is an interesting concept. Where does this number come from? I dont know if I agree or disagree. I am just wondering how "home life" is statistically qualified.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Cybele is probably going to offer you the best advice, since education varies so much by country.

I experienced private school and homeschool when I was young, then started public school when I was 12. I preferred public school. There were more opportunities, resources, and in my opinion a friendlier atmosphere. But I grew up in a place with great public schools.

Where I live now, on the other hand, has less-than-stellar public schools. Academic and behavior problems abound. I didn't want that environment for my kids. We were lucky enough to get into a charter school (publicly funded, privately run), but enrollment is by lottery, so it's not an option everyone has. I don't agree with that system at all, but that's how it is, and I'm not going to turn down a good education on principle. We'd have paid for private school otherwise.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
bssage said:
That is an interesting concept. Where does this number come from? I dont know if I agree or disagree. I am just wondering how "home life" is statistically qualified.
Wealth, job type and the education of both parents, its not whether you agree or disagree, its a fact. When you look at a pupils achievement it matches their parents life achievement, that is why very poor children with uneducated parents always leave school with a very poor education, even those attending some of the best schools in the world.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Jeremy+3 said:
Wealth, job type and the education of both parents, its not whether you agree or disagree, its a fact. When you look at a pupils achievement it matches their parents life achievement, that is why <U>very poor children with uneducated parents always leave school with a very poor education</U>, even those attending some of the best schools in the world.
As usual, the word "always" is not correct here.

I personally know at least one person with a post-graduate qualification, whose parents are illiterate and living in extreme poverty. (At least, they used to live in extreme poverty, until he bought them a house and started supporting them)

I also know of several other kids from very poor, illiterate parents who are excelling in very good schools and universities.

If poor and uneducated parents inevitably doomed you to a life of ignorance and poverty, there would be no hope for that vast majority of Africa, but Africans are defying their backgrounds every day.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
singledad said:
As usual, the word "always" is not correct here.

I personally know at least one person with a post-graduate qualification, whose parents are illiterate and living in extreme poverty. (At least, they used to live in extreme poverty, until he bought them a house and started supporting them)

I also know of several other kids from very poor, illiterate parents who are excelling in very good schools and universities.

If poor and uneducated parents inevitably doomed you to a life of ignorance and poverty, there would be no hope for that vast majority of Africa, but Africans are defying their backgrounds every day.
We aren't talking about the third world Singledad, we're talking about the developed world, as that is where Antoinette lives.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
its not whether you agree or disagree, its a fact.
Thats fine. I obviously dont have a problem being wrong. I just want to see that 85% statistic myself. And form my own right or wrong opinion.

I have found this: http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/recordDetails.jsp?ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ417972&amp;ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&amp;_pageLabel=RecordDetails&amp;accno=ED521526&amp;_nfls=false[/url]

But have been unable to download.

If you know some keywords or have a link please share.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I'll see if I can get some PDFs for you at work tomorrow, I think some will might be copyrighted but there should be some that aren't, plus I can always contact the authors and ask permission to pass a copy on.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
This is what I came up with on the link I listed above. I admit I "cherry picked" a little because some of the info IMHO had a unclear link to what we are discussing.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED521526.pdf

Indicator ECON1.B Show trend down: economic

Indicator ECON3 Trend up: food insecurity

Indicator PHY5 Trend up: Housing problems.

Indicator ED2.A Trend up: Mathmatics

Indicator ED2.C Flat to slight rise: reading

Indicator ED3 Trend up: Advanced math, science, Language

Indicator ED4 Trend up: High school completion

Indicator ED5 Trend down : those not in school or employed.

Indicator ED6 Trend up: College enrollment.

These statistics indicate to me 85% is at least somewhat of an exaggeration.

I do see several references in my search. That a parents involvement with the education process make significant differences. Although I also do not see this supported through data.

I would imagine both what you are saying and involvement do play a large role. I do not think we are 85% defined by our environment nor having non-involved parents limit a persons potential.

There may be significant differences between your education system and our's in this regard. I (dont know) think your system involves a process where decisions are made sooner to determine a direction of "trades" or "academics". But again that is just a guess.

Last edited:

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
Education is important and we have had some issues with our younger two (see my thread: http://www.parentingforums.org/showthread.php?t=13976 for more info) However both of our older two went through public schools. Sam and Callum both found that Public was best for them however as I say in the thread above Public schools are not all good (all our kids have gone to the same schools) and Cameron and Maddie have found it much less of an enjoyable experience, which has left us looking at Private School (boarding) or home schooling. So its about the kids them self some work in Public education others don't I guess you just have to see what works. We have had to move our younger two arround which was hard. But they deserve to be happy and as parents we need to look at the schools they fit into.