sex after giving birth...

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
So brandons mom said 6 wks.. just wondering if u have to wait that lonng or if she is feelin up to it can u have sex before that? And ive read different times..some ppl are saying 2 months..etc. so ladies if ud be kind enough to tell how long it was for you..N husbands same goes for u.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
From what I've heard, the general rule is 6-weeks. I don't think we waited that long honestly...I think we waited like 3. However, she had a C-section, so it wasn't an issue "downtown", but with her belly.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
I would say wait 6 weeks to be safe. Gotta let everything heal up down there, you dont want to risk an infection. I know its hard superman, but there are "other" things you can do in the meantime :) PS how are you and brandons mama doing anyhow?? :) And congrats again!!!!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Since this is her first, it will probably take the full 6 weeks. As said there are still plenty of other things that can be done if you guys are really feeling the need.

Most momma's are so frazzled in the beginning that 6 weeks doesn't feel long enough. Don't take it personal if it takes her a little longer to get in the mood, it isn't personal.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Interesting question! lol After DS was born, we were told to wait 4-6 weeks, preferably 6 but allowed at 4. She is going to be feeling really raw, bruised, and messed up in there, and she is bleeding a ton right now and for the next couple weeks. It really is like recovering from an injury - so think of it like that. :)

Not only do they make you do that because it could risk infection and she wont be healed up yet, but also for the first 4-6 weeks after giving birth, a woman is at her MOST FERTILE time EVER!!! So its really hard to prevent a pregnancy if you have sex during that time. You would be amazed at the number of women that go to their 6 week OB appointment just to find out they are pregnant!!! It happens allllll the time, its freaky.

So aside from all of that, when DH and I first had sex after DS was born (I don't remember if we waited the 4 or 6 weeks, but this is the general consensus among other women I have asked) it hurt pretty bad for me. And DH said that it was weird feeling for him too. Things just weren't back in place yet. He said a couple of months later, everything felt normal again. So just trust me, don't rush into it, it wont be fun for anybody lol. Wait it out, it will be so worth it, and there are other fun things you can do to feel good until then. ;)

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
xox.ilu.xox said:
I would say wait 6 weeks to be safe. Gotta let everything heal up down there, you dont want to risk an infection. I know its hard superman, but there are "other" things you can do in the meantime :) PS how are you and brandons mama doing anyhow?? :) And congrats again!!!!
ok thanks everybody for ur input. well ilu everything is AWESOME...lol i had to do caps on that for emphasis. no but seriously...i had her move in w me just cus its easier that way. so i guess we will see how everythin goes from there. N thank you again !!:D

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Xero said:
Interesting question! lol After DS was born, we were told to wait 4-6 weeks, preferably 6 but allowed at 4. She is going to be feeling really raw, bruised, and messed up in there, and she is bleeding a ton right now and for the next couple weeks. It really is like recovering from an injury - so think of it like that. :)

Not only do they make you do that because it could risk infection and she wont be healed up yet, but also for the first 4-6 weeks after giving birth, a woman is at her MOST FERTILE time EVER!!! So its really hard to prevent a pregnancy if you have sex during that time. You would be amazed at the number of women that go to their 6 week OB appointment just to find out they are pregnant!!! It happens allllll the time, its freaky.

So aside from all of that, when DH and I first had sex after DS was born (I don't remember if we waited the 4 or 6 weeks, but this is the general consensus among other women I have asked) it hurt pretty bad for me. And DH said that it was weird feeling for him too. Things just weren't back in place yet. He said a couple of months later, everything felt normal again. So just trust me, don't rush into it, it wont be fun for anybody lol. Wait it out, it will be so worth it, and there are other fun things you can do to feel good until then. ;)
thx xero. ahhhhhhhhh definitely dont want another one lol not this soon anyways. yeah shes not in the moodd at all which is shitty...but we are doin other things ..sometimes just not as much as id like lmaoo :(

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
superman said:
ok thanks everybody for ur input. well ilu everything is AWESOME...lol i had to do caps on that for emphasis. no but seriously...i had her move in w me just cus its easier that way. so i guess we will see how everythin goes from there. N thank you again !!:D

YAY! Im so glad to hear that!!!! Seems like you are getting ur ducks in a row, that is SO good! I cant help but ask, but it looks like u live in a pretty hilly province from ur Avatar pic LOL. Are you in BC too??

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i just didn't want to for ages after Felix was born it was still a bit sore down there and i just didn't feel up to it so don't push it if she doesn't want to. she will get there eventually and trust me she will let you know..

i cant talk about after Alegra because David and i split up just before she was born.

i think for your first you should wait at least 6 weeks though.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I waited until my 6 week check up after Ilo. I had to make sure that things were 'ok' first. I had some trouble delivering the placenta and was totally freaked out about infection. And now that I'm ok....well...now I am totally freaked out about getting pregnant and it REALLY kills the mood for me.

After my first son, I waited much longer, and it really hurt when I had sex. I suspect that my 'tear' was sewn up a little tighter than it should have been.

Don't get discouraged, or take it personal, if it takes longer than 6 weeks. Brandon was a BIG baby! So she might need a little extra time to heal.

I'm glad to hear that things are going well with you and Brandon's mom! I'm sure that having your help is HUGE to her. Being a new mom can be very stressful, not to mention how nuts your hormones are after you give birth. Anything you can do to make things easier for her are going to win you a pile of brownie points!

I'd love to see some new pictures of the little guy! He's so cute!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
superman said:
That is so awesome!!! I am so happy for you guys. :) She and Brandon are going to be so much happier with you around to be there for them.

superman said:
thx xero. ahhhhhhhhh definitely dont want another one lol not this soon anyways. yeah shes not in the moodd at all which is shitty...but we are doin other things ..sometimes just not as much as id like lmaoo :(
No prob! Yeah, it is shitty, and 6+ weeks is a long time to wait, its a bummer to go that long without, but trust me this is just one short piece of your life that when its over you'll look back on it and shrug. It will be past you before you know it! :) So hang in there. Spend some extra time in the shower. hahaha :D

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Zero~ where were you when I got pregnant with Sam, nobody told me you were extra fertile during that period. Thats why Sam and Ted are 11 months apart LOL

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL!! The only reason I know is because they STRESSED that point when they were telling us not to have sex!! lol

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
xox.ilu.xox said:
YAY! Im so glad to hear that!!!! Seems like you are getting ur ducks in a row, that is SO good! I cant help but ask, but it looks like u live in a pretty hilly province from ur Avatar pic LOL. Are you in BC too??
Lol not really...but kinda in some parts i live in ontario. .i dont live in "the city" so theres lots of forestry

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
stjohnjulie said:
I waited until my 6 week check up after Ilo. I had to make sure that things were 'ok' first. I had some trouble delivering the placenta and was totally freaked out about infection. And now that I'm ok....well...now I am totally freaked out about getting pregnant and it REALLY kills the mood for me.

After my first son, I waited much longer, and it really hurt when I had sex. I suspect that my 'tear' was sewn up a little tighter than it should have been.

Don't get discouraged, or take it personal, if it takes longer than 6 weeks. Brandon was a BIG baby! So she might need a little extra time to heal.

I'm glad to hear that things are going well with you and Brandon's mom! I'm sure that having your help is HUGE to her. Being a new mom can be very stressful, not to mention how nuts your hormones are after you give birth. Anything you can do to make things easier for her are going to win you a pile of brownie points!

I'd love to see some new pictures of the little guy! He's so cute!
Noyah lol im not pressurin her..n heck yeah im helpin out: ) haha. Lol i think thatll be the end of Brandon pics..lol not to sound rude i just have a thing w that. Dont mind dp's but as far as posting pics idk..lol. Never knw wbos watching. Thats why i usually only have pics of me lol.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Xero said:
That is so awesome!!! I am so happy for you guys. :) She and Brandon are going to be so much happier with you around to be there for them.

No prob! Yeah, it is shitty, and 6+ weeks is a long time to wait, its a bummer to go that long without, but trust me this is just one short piece of your life that when its over you'll look back on it and shrug. It will be past you before you know it! :) So hang in there. Spend some extra time in the shower. hahaha :D[/QUOTE

I like th shower idea xerooo

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Totally know what you mean about the picture thing :D I like that this site has the "family album" that you can only look at after you post a bunch of times. I feel better posting pictures there.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
stjohnjulie said:
Totally know what you mean about the picture thing :D I like that this site has the "family album" that you can only look at after you post a bunch of times. I feel better posting pictures there.
We're in a thread called "Sex after giving birth" and you're talking about posting pictures???? Should be interesting. :eek: