shoplifting...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I wouldn't do anything. She needs to be held accountable and maybe it'll scare her enough to not do it again.
If you step in and bail her out you are only teaching her that someone will enable her.
Be careful with this one. Good luck.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
she is nearly 12. Usually pretty good. We went back to the shop later to apologize. The manager agreed not to press charges. I am not sure what to do with her from here as I have never really had to punish her for anything yet

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well I would say she really needs to feel this punishment so it doesn't happen again...like no phone, no tv, no video games, no computer...eat, sleep, homework, read, do chores. Not sure how long though, I guess you would just go with your gut. Did she tell why she would steal?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I like Fiona's idea.

Hey, you've got some good posts Fiona, I am just now noticing. When did you get here?

I don't think the punishment needs to be too harsh - being caught, scared out of her wits and embarassed is enough. But the paper sounds like a fine idea.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
When my sister was caught shoplifting (a candybar), my parents made her go to the store she stole from and apologize to the owner/manager.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I got busted shoplifting at 16 or so...

No punishment was as bad as telling my dad, and just feeling his disappointment as he hung up the phone on me.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I was like 16 or so when I got caught. My rights were violated so my mom defended that but I felt like an idiot, I really disappointed my mom, and I was grounded for a month. The store searched my bag without my parent present. Apparently you cant do that.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Getting caught at 28 can really screw with a person's ability to find a good job. Most medium to large companies will do a criminal background check, and even a shoplifting conviction can cause a person all kinds of trouble when it comes to finding a job.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i got caught shoplifting when I was 14 or 13.

trip to the copshop. parents picked me up. frightened the life out of me. haven't stolen so much as a napkin since then.

teen-shoplifting is more about feeling lost and alone than it is about being naughty.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Hannah stole some candy a while back. I took her to the store to apologize to the manager and she had to do chores to pay the money back

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
FooserX said:
I got busted shoplifting at 16 or so...

No punishment was as bad as telling my dad, and just feeling his disappointment as he hung up the phone on me.
yeah - that was my experience too.

the only thing that HAPPENED to me was that I missed out on playing basketball that night.

I just sat around at home feeling teeeeeeerible.

FionnaK

PF Regular
Feb 18, 2008
New York
FooserX said:
I like Fiona's idea.

Hey, you've got some good posts Fiona, I am just now noticing. When did you get here?

I don't think the punishment needs to be too harsh - being caught, scared out of her wits and embarassed is enough. But the paper sounds like a fine idea.
I got here yesterday. :wubclub:

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
well I am as much concerned about why it occured as a penalty. I never ad the nerve as a kid. I think foozer like you she did find my disappointment hard so I am relieved there. But is this some sort of rebellion? I know it is not out of need. Am I perhaps being a bit too indulgent materially? I have to admit I have made sure she wants for nothing in that department given that she has had such a rough yr. Do i need to reign things in a little?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
FionnaK said:
make her write a paper about why shoplifting is wrong
My kids at that age had to write papers about some subjects...lying and stealing come to mind.

singlemom

Mar 19, 2008
Northeast
I agree w/ Fallon. Impress on her taht this is serious. She should feel the consequences for her actions. Everything taken away- if she thinks that's bad... explain to her where she could end up if she doesn't make better choices. It was her choice to take something and knew that it was very wrong-next time maybe she will think twice.

kristakmj

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
i think some times it better to let them see the true consequences of their behaviors and while maybe not all the way with the file a police report i def would have taken her down to the cop shop and let them explain exactly what can happen if there is a next time. i also say she should go clean up the parking lot of the store for say 2 hours .