Should I be concerned about my son kissing others?...

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Friday, my son kept kissing my whor..err...wife. It was so frequent, that I asked him if he was kissing others at school. He said "not alot." When we asked him who...he then said "no one."

It was obvious he was lying, but he insisted he wasn't kissing anyone at school.

So yesterday...we want to a birthday party, and sure enough, when Bradley was involved enough...he leaned over and gave another boy a kiss on the cheek. Ack!

So he got in trouble for lying...but I'm wondering...should I be worried about this? I don't like it...but they're so young...5...that it can't be all that bad....right?

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I don't think there's anything to worry about seeing that he's only 5. You probably scared him and that's why he lied to you. I can't imagine any other reason why a 5 year old would lie. My four year old daughter is still affectionate and my little brother was still affectionate at that age. I think it's pretty normal.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I wouldn't freak out about it. He's still little and sweet. He'll stop soon enough. He didn't do anything bad. It's just a kiss on the cheek.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
musicmom said:
I wouldn't freak out about it. He's still little and sweet. He'll stop soon enough. He didn't do anything bad. It's just a kiss on the cheek.

Well he didn't get into trouble for kissing, he got into trouble for lying.

If you had the choice...would you want your kids kissing other kids or no?

I do see it as innocent...but something about it just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's just me

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don't mind when Nichole kisses other kids at church or her friends. Its usually just sweet.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:
Well he didn't get into trouble for kissing, he got into trouble for lying.

If you had the choice...would you want your kids kissing other kids or no?

I do see it as innocent...but something about it just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's just me
When they were little they did kiss other kids on the cheek and they hugged everybody. No biggie. I was right there watching. They don't do it now. No it's icky or just wierd.
I wouldn't punish him for lying about that. You are going to make it taboo.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I agree with everyone: it's innocent and just a stage of being a goofy little kid (as all normal little kids are).

When I was 5 I had a deal with a little boy: if he "beat me up" (a gentle push before I could push him - no one even fell over), he could kiss me; if I "beat him up", he couldn't. ;) He was a little fellow who just liked kissing. One of my nieces went through a huge kissing phase when she was 5. Her teacher finally had to limit her to saying "Kiss!" to everyone to prevent serial mooching all day long. Now she is a perv...oh, wait, that is wrong....Now she is a completely normal, very cool, high achieving high school student. Who doesn't like kissing all that much. :p

Little kids are goofy, which is what makes them so great. :)

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I wouldn't worry about the kissing. As everyone said, it's pretty normal at that age. BUT...some schools have policies against it, so I'd look into that aspect, and then talk to him about when and where it's appropriate.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
FooserX said:
He's always going to get punished for lying :)
I agree with that.

The kissing thing would bother me too. Then again I am not what I would consider an affectionate person. I'm not a hugger. I hug and kiss my children and my husband but other family members or friends. No, not really.

Hugging another child I think is sweet my 4yo still hugs her friends and cousins. She's tried to kiss one boy her own age and he threw a fit and I haven't seen her do it since to any other kids. I never made a thing of it though. Like someone said it would be taboo then he's want to do it alllllll the time.

luckyme2008

Apr 9, 2008
My son is 4 and in pre-k and he is VERY affectionate. He will walk up to me at any point during the day to give a kiss or hug. I would feel wrong discouraging him, as I have always encouraged him to be loving and caring to everyone. And that is what he sees himself as doing. I did see him try to smack one on his teachers lips one day and she dodged it and said "hes just so loving". I just laughed and said yes he is.
Definately nothing wrong with it. I wouldnt discourage him or worry about it at all. Instead just think in twenty years you can tease him in front of his girlfriends by telling how he used to kiss everyone, even the boys!