Should i be concerned about this ?...

dad001

Dec 2, 2010
Recently I attended my daughters school for a year 5 Limerick reading where the classmates read their prepared Limerick out to students, teachers and parents.

I was concerned about one Limerick and I feel that the school staff should have maybe encouraged the child redo their Limerick. Maybe it is just me and it is all a bit of fun, but being a single dad with no one to bounce these things off I just wanted to know other peoples thoughts.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The drawing doesn't bother me, the wording does. I am surprised a teacher didn't have the child re-do the limerick.

If it is really bothering you (it would me) I would talk to the teacher about it.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
There once was a cop in a shop
Whose vest a bullet did stop
Now Feagle lay bleeding
Because despite all his pleading
The cop's gun went "pop, pop, pop"

:D

seriously though I would have a problem and talk to the teacher and/or administrator.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I might be wrong but all my Lemerick experience is from a tavern. And all would be considered PG or higher in the rating. So while I think it's a little funny. I also think it was a bad plan for that age group from the start.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I don't have a problem with it, if children can sing nursery rhymes about torture I don't see why they can't use violence in limericks, which are meant to be funny/controversial.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well, i think it's a little edgy being violent, or seeming to advocate violence, but I'd want to know what they learned about limericks and their heritage, if the author knew about their irreverent background and the notion in some circles that it's not truly a limerick unless it is irreverent or dirty in some way, then I'd say he gets a B+ (I'd have given him and A if he'd had 9 syllable in the frist two lines.)

So, I guess I'd want to know more about their limerick writing unit.

dad001

Dec 2, 2010
@NancyM The boy shoots the cop, If it read the cop shoots the boy then I would see some sort of justice to this Limerick and probably then find it very clever as it displays a clear understanding of crime and punishment.

void

Banned
Dec 2, 2010
People really need to relax. You can turn on your TV and see a video of someone doing that.
This is simply writing...

dad001

Dec 2, 2010
@void thanks for the input, I never really put thought on how much violence a child does actually see.

Aussie Barb

PF Regular
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney Australia
True, there is violence on TV, but I think it's wise to protect children from it. I'd certainly keep an eye on this little poet and make sure this wasn't a theme in his/her school work. In Year 5, maybe the child was just trying to get a reaction (which he/she certainly did on this Forum!). I wouldn't want a child to think that violence is something that you can joke about, though.

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
Honestly, I would be very upset if my kid saw such a thing in school. I don't let my child watch any violent movie or play violent games; if the school lets her see something like that and just tells her it's all for fun, I'm switching the schools.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Speaking as a teacher, I see several issues here. I see nothing wrong with having 5th graders write limericks. I'm sure it was to teach about rhythm which has the added benefit of forcing focus on syllables and stress (phonemic awareness.) As for limericks traditionally being risque, that's easy to get around and should not be a barrier.

The content of this limerick is concerning, and even offensive. Personally, I would probably have done something about it, but I can imagine the predicament of the teacher. Censorship is a dirty word, as it should be, but political correctness has pitched teachers against this sort of thing in the past, and teachers have come out the losers.

It is possible the teacher was just so thrilled to get a bit of work out of this student that he/she allowed it when perhaps he should not have.

But the other issue is what is going on with this child. Why is he celebrating this sort of thing? Perhaps, like with my students, it is the culture of his neighborhood or home. But it might be something else. If he is an anomoly in the school/class, I would be concerned about what is going on with him.

Ultimately, though, as far as you are concerned, it is a teachable moment with your child.

Jan Shoop

Feb 21, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I don't think it's appropriate. It is important for children to learn to express themselves, but not when it would be hurtful to others. I'm surprised the teacher thought it was appropriate. I would talk with the teacher and/or principal at the school.

szerba74

Feb 26, 2011
Utah
well I'm conserned. I think there is a time and place for some of these things. For instance if you want to joke around at home. I know kids say things at school and their peers say things at school that are uncontrolible. But, as a teacher it is their responsiblity to be abit above all the noncence. If a child writes something like that it. It should be considered not appropriate. I know if my child wrote something like that at school I'd be conserned