Sick and Parties...

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
Okay, this came up today. Our son, 12, stayed home from school today due to throwing up and a sore throat. He was after 3pm invited to go to a party for cake and ice cream at his best friends.

I want to throw a few scenarios and see what everyone's idea of how to handle would be:

<LIST type="decimal">

1. <LI>
  2. If he's still sick should he be allowed to go?</LI>
    <LI>
  3. If he no longer shows any signs of being sick should he be allowed to go?</LI>
</LIST>Thanks, John

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
no he should not be able to go either way. If he is too sick to go to school, then he should not be going to a party. Even if he feels 100% better he can still be contagious and pass on his illness to others. Most places (daycares,church nurseries, school ect..) say at least 24 hours of NO symptoms

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
What she said :)

Sometimes sick kids will feel a lot better for 1-2 hours, then be barfing, etc worse than before.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
Okay, now comes the question of how to say that to Mom who disagrees with me 100% on this. I said if he stays home sick then the only thing he's allowed to do is rest on the couch. I don't want a fight which it started as so we stopped the talk. In a way I was hoping you'd say let him go so that I would be 100% wrong on this one.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
If it were my child he would be laying on the couch or in his room resting, no phone, nothing. If you miss school you are home for the day.
If you allow him to go then whats stopping him from being "sick" and still doing what he wants? Plus....I'd hope you would protect other people's children. I'd be po'd if you brought your child to my party knowing he had been throwing up earlier.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
nope, he should not be able to go. I would be so upset if I had a party and a child came that was sick that day. You are putting the other kids at risk.

I would say that the only way to do it is to tell her (away from the child) that he should not go and why, if she disagrees I would then say, "I'm not going then, you take him and make sure that everyone there knows he was sick today so that they do not go anywhere near him or share anything with him. Plus since he was sick (puking) he should not be eating any sweets as they can cause even more stomach upset

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
John, are these "Step" kids?

And if a kid is sick, as Kaytee said, he should not be exposing other kids. This is a <U>huge</U> pet peeve of mine. People who are sick, kids or not, should not be exposing themselves to others.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
RANT WARNING: Not to derail things. I always hate it when somebody at work comes in while sick. I say to them: "<I>You really need to be at home</I>" and they respond "<I>I have a lot of work to do</I>".... well within a week, 25% of the people in the building come down with the same virus and can't get their work done because they are at home sick.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I know that one Jtee, but depending where you work, they won't let you off unless you have a doctors note, and even then a lot of people miss one day and they can't pay their bills. So sometimes it just sucks! lol

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
jtee said:
John, are these "Step" kids?

And if a kid is sick, as Kaytee said, he should not be exposing other kids. This is a <U>huge</U> pet peeve of mine. People who are sick, kids or not, should not be exposing themselves to others.
Dylan (12; the one who was sick today) is from Dana's first marriage but I have fully adopted him and his ex father signed off and is no where in sight which is a good thing.

Amber (6) is both of ours together and our little angle.

John

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
Kaytee said:
I know that one Jtee, but depending where you work, they won't let you off unless you have a doctors note, and even then a lot of people miss one day and they can't pay their bills. So sometimes it just sucks! lol
Agreed. The problem with people calling off is that at some places if you call off too much they just let you go. This forces people to come in sick which is a bad thing overall.

John

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
Kaytee said:
nope, he should not be able to go. I would be so upset if I had a party and a child came that was sick that day. You are putting the other kids at risk.

I would say that the only way to do it is to tell her (away from the child) that he should not go and why, if she disagrees I would then say, "I'm not going then, you take him and make sure that everyone there knows he was sick today so that they do not go anywhere near him or share anything with him. Plus since he was sick (puking) he should not be eating any sweets as they can cause even more stomach upset
Well, he's not going mainly that he's still sick but the problem is she said she would let him if he was feeling better and didn't show any signs of being sick. I just don't agree with it. If someone has to stay home from school for being sick then they should have to rest and get a good nights rest even if they did rest all day long.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
Okay, here's another scenario:

If our son goes to school and is sick but hides it so he can go to a party that night and stays in school sick all day. When he comes home should he be rewarded and allowed to go to the party based on he went to school?

Dana and I both say no. Just want to know what you guys think and if you agree.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
In our house, if you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to go to any other activities that day as well, no exceptions.

And if he comes home from school sick, then he definitely shouldn't be going to a party. He's already infected his friends and classmates enough for one day! LOL

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I say to sick to go to school, to sick to party...it's hard but it needs to be done. I don't allow my dd to go to parties when she's sick mainly because other parents don't want sick kids either. It isn't fair to them for your child to be there getting everyone else sick. I would invite his friend over to your house when your son is feeling better so they can have cake together or whatever. when my kids or sick it's rest time for them. Lay on the couch or in bed and watch movies or tv or look at a book

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
when you're sick, you're sick...if he was faking it (which sounds as if he was genuinely sick) then meh...but I'm throwing up in the morning and want to eat cake in the afternoon? nnnooo...the only exception to that rule is if you're pregnant...LOL...

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
No school, no parties.

How would a kid go to school sick and as a parent you don't know they are sick? I guess mine would be too little to get away with that so it is a non-issue.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
stepmommy0221 said:
when you're sick, you're sick...if he was faking it (which sounds as if he was genuinely sick) then meh...but I'm throwing up in the morning and want to eat cake in the afternoon? nnnooo...the only exception to that rule is if you're pregnant...LOL...
Well I don't think HE was pregnant (but I can hope!). lol

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
I agree. No party. My sister-in-law brought two kids with pneumonia to a family gathering. Of course, my kids caught it! She said she had no idea it was contagious. I wonder, did she even ask the doctor? And pneumonia's not like a cold; there is a financial risk in exposing other people's kids.

Bottom line: it's not fair to the other kids/parents; and it teaches your child that being sick is a way to escape obligations while still having fun.