Single parents dating again?...

May 28, 2008
I was reading another forum and it made me think of this. When do you think it's ok for a single mom or dad to start dating again? Let's say the child is about....5 years old and the parents just got a divorce. When do you guys think would be an appropriate time for the mom or dad to start dating again?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
No personal experience, but I don't think there is a specified time frame. I think it's more important that the parent doesn't bring home dates to meet the child(ren) unless there is promise for a long term relationship.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
when my ex and I split I swore to myself I would not allow another man near her until I was sure it was going to be a serious relationship. Turns out I married the first and only man I ever introduced her to

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I actually started seeing my husband right after my divorce. I wasn't looking, it just worked out that way.

I think it all depends on each individual person and family.

May 28, 2008
Yea, I guess it is sort of hard to put a time frame on it. It all depends on the situation and what each day brings. And I definitely agree about not introducing every guy to the child - cause that will just confuse her/him. So I definitely agree with you guys. I saw this tv show on TLC called 'Must Love Kids' and it's all about single moms dating again. It's sort of like The Bachelorette...except kids are involved. I wonder how they are going to go abouts the children being involved...b/c that would be confusing for the kids if their mom was introducing all these men to them. I was actually able to watch the premiere episode on TLC's website online. It does look interesting...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
It's so tough when kids are involved because they always should carry first priority. When Heather and I started dating, I didn't introduce her to Delaney for quite a while, then it was on sporadically and gradually built up. I had to make sure I was comfortable with her before getting Delaney involved heavily. Children get so emotionally involved so quickly that if she got attached to Heather immediately, then we broke up, Delaney would have been crushed.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I agree with Fallons answer. My DD mom has had, that I know of, three boyfriends in the last three years. DD has not seemed to have been affected by them. The BF she had the longest had a daughter a few years older then DD and DD talked about the girl alot but she never seemed like she missed the other people one way or another. Of course my DD is extra special so I dont know if that is "normal" or not.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
OurPreciousHand said:
I was reading another forum and it made me think of this. When do you think it's ok for a single mom or dad to start dating again? Let's say the child is about....5 years old and the parents just got a divorce. When do you guys think would be an appropriate time for the mom or dad to start dating again?

I don't think a person can truly heal for at least a year after such an intimate relationship with someone else...probably more.

I get it though...after a divorce, you're lonely, and crave someone to be with, so the whole rebound guy/girl is going to appeal to people. It'll probably make them feel better, and they won't care about introducing their kids to new people...just because they want/need someone to fill that void.

I just got divorced, and really...I have no intention of even trying to date for at least 6 months - 1 year. It would be rediculous of my to bring divorce emotions and issues into a new relationship without healing and working on myself.

Plus, when you're in a relationship, you just naturally give up parts of yourself to be with that other person. So it's good to heal and work on yourself for a while before dating again. You know...find yourself.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
No time frame in my mind, whenever they are ready to date again they should. As long as its done in an appropriate way that does not pose danger to the child emotionally.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Kaytee said:
No time frame in my mind, whenever they are ready to date again they should. As long as its done in an appropriate way that does not pose danger to the child emotionally.
Katie I assume you mean does not pose danger. lol

HandInCup

Jul 7, 2008
My parents had a bad marriage. My dad tells me now that the last ten years of their marriage was him just staying there so that we would have a dad. Once they were legally seperated, my mom took no time getting a boyfriend, but my dad took a while to find someone. Mom introduced us to her boyfriend very shortly afterwards. Dad took a little longer. As kids, we both hated the fact that there were new people in our broken family, mom was never home and left us there by ourselves when it was her turn to have us, refusing to let dad take us for an extra day or so. Dad, on the other hand, fell for his girlfriend and stayed with her, making sure everything was okay with us before he went out with her some nights. It wasn't with us, but we told him it was because he was happy for the first time in a long time. We weren't selfish too badly. (=

Unfortunately, once we started liking dad's girlfriend, they broke up. They had been together for a long while, but they fought too much and she had lied to him before, plus my mom started to meddle in their affairs and made the other woman very uncomfortable. And, unfortunately again, once we started to realise that mom's boyfriend was only dating her to get our childsupport, it was too late. They've been together ever since.

I think the parents need to decide when it is the right time to start dating again. Keep your kids' opinions in mind though, if they're anything like us, they aren't too willing to let other people in the family too quickly. It made us jealous to see our parents spending time with their new partners, even though they were happy. I also think that parents should be a little more careful when dating if they have children from a previous marriage. They shouldn't just rush into the first open armed person they see, if that's how they were when they were younger. You're not only looking for a partner, in most cases you are also looking for a father/mother figure for your children as well.

WhoCares

Banned
Sep 7, 2008
I was never married to James or Shanelle's father, so when I find my current husband, they didn't assume it as something wrong. They got used to me having boyfriends when they were infants (I was 15 when I had James and 16 when I had Shanelle). I didn't marry Kylie's ather either, he was just one of my boyfriends. Now I'm married to the father of the twins I'm expecting. James, Shannie and Kylie don't have any problems with it.

daphdaph

Banned
Nov 24, 2008
I think everyone is entitled to pursue their own happiness. That said, I think a single parent must be extremely careful when going about dating. Arrange for a reliable person to take care of your kid when on your date and don't bring them home until it is serious! :)