Skinny-Dipping Toddler...

Generic Dad

PF Regular
Jun 6, 2010
Dallas, Texas
This last weekend my 3-year-old daughter stripped down to the buck and got into the pool with me (I was not in the buck btw). I just went with it and let her swim...and we had a blast. My question is: Is this such a bad thing?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
The only bad thing I see is that she could get sunburnt :). Your DD is about the same age as mine. They're still so innocent - no need to spoil it. She will be a young lady who has to cover up too soon - let her enjoy the freedom of being little while she can.

Obviously I wouldn't allow it with others around, especially strangers, but with her dad who loves her and would never hurt a hair on her head, what's the problem?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree 3 year olds are still babies! And as long as you're not in a public place and you keep an eye on sunburns there is nothing wrong with your little girl skinny dipping lol. :)

Generic Dad

PF Regular
Jun 6, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Thank you guys for the positive comments. The only real concerns that we had about it were that we have strictly told her she has to be in a swimsuit in order to get into the pool (in hopes that she will not decided to get in on her own).

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
i have no problem with 3 year olds swimming naked. they are so young that like everyone else, my only concern would be sunburn

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
my kids both do it from time to time. But we in the country where noone can see. I say no big deal

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
On one hand I don't have a problem with it. Like everyone else said at 3 it's no big deal. I also agree that enforcing the rule stating that swimsuit must be worn might aid in keeing her out of the pool if she sneaks away.

Here's something else to consider. When my son was young occasionally I would let him pee in the yard. No big deal.....he was young.....it was dark.....also what man doesn't like to pee his name in the snow? Anyway one day we were at the local ice cream store and about 5 feet from the picnic tables he just whips it out and starts peeing. The other patrons were understandably annoyed.

The point here is that while it's no big deal for her to do it at home what if you are in publc and she strips down and jumps in the pool. You or the other swimmers may not like that

-Phil

Jack O

Jun 12, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't see a problem except now she may think skinny dipping is going to always be ok. You may not want her doing it when others are around.

Once they get in their little heads a certain way of doing something it is hard to change them. My daughter likes to come into my bed early in the morning, it usually is ok since i end up getting up a few minutes after she gets in and then of course she doesn't want to stay in bed any longer.

Jack

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Seems to me this is fine, but it probably wouldn't hurt to reinforce from day one that this is a special thing "just for our pool." :)

Crass

PF Regular
Jun 2, 2010
Louisiana
My Emily, who turns 2 next week, was running around the back yard naked a couple months ago... playing at the water table and getting squirted by her 3 year old brother... suddenly, she stopped, right in front of me, and started taking a wiz all over the pavement. I had to quickly move my feet out of the way. Funny stuff!

I'd actually rather see a toddler running through the sprinkler in the backyard naked than see one with a non-swim diaper. Those get pretty gross looking when they get wet.

And like most everyone else who's posted, I'm only ok with her being naked in the privacy of the backyard with nobody else around.

unreasonabledad

Jul 9, 2010
Our daughter is 4 and I STILL sometimes turn around and suddenly she is pantless walking down the hall :p ( in our house of course)

SDenham

Aug 26, 2010
Panama City, FL
I let my kids swim nakie for a long time. they knew the difference when we were at a public pool. But we made mention of it a few times at home, as well.