Smart baby monitor...

idanzalz

Apr 20, 2011
Hi,
As you might have noticed from my posts, I'm somewhat of a gadget freak. Just yesterday we had a frightening event when my 4 months old baby (who just started crawling) decided to eat a little marble he found on the floor. We caught it in the last moment and everything turned out ok but I was wondering how can it be that there is no technological solution for things like?? This is 2011 darn it!
So I started contemplating a video camera that monitors the child and alerts on dangerous occasions like that, I didn't find anything on Google but I'd like to know if any of you know something that can do that or think it's a good idea regardless.
Thanks.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
There are video monitors, but they don't follow baby anywhere or alert you or anything. When they're little, you just need to always be watching them.

However, a 4 month old who crawls and picks stuff up off the floor? You can't be serious?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL I'm just saying that would be a freaking super baby! That's craziness.

idanzalz

Apr 20, 2011
whoops, you are actually right, he is 7 months old...
Don't know how I got to 4, probably having trouble accepting how fast they grow...

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
hey... i'm into techie stuff and i just want to share this thing about monitoring cameras.

there are very cheap cameras which you can install in your room which will also cover the entire room. actually, the computer cameras may also be used as a monitoring cameras. there are more high end ones, of course.

there are also there are different ways in monitoring this camera:
1) LAN
2) Wireless Connection

Here is the thing. When you go for wireless connection, remember that the wireless connection has a range which means the range may (and will most likely) extend to outside your house. that means some techie person may be able to see your cameras too.

there are ways around it. you can do passwords but if a bank can be hacked, so can your connections.

LAN is safer but it also doesn't mean it can't be hacked either. basically, as long as you have internet conneciton, you can be hacked.

what you can do is get someone really good to ensure minimum amount risk. when it comes to the safety of your baby and your family, i am sure everyone will agree that it's worth the money.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I think the point that's being missed here is that if you have the time to stare at a computer monitor, then you have the time to actually keep an eye on your kids yourself lol. The OP is asking about a monitor that actually knows when your kid is doing something dangerous and will alert you but that's obviously a bit off the wall, that kind of technology really doesn't exist and if it did it would be extremely expensive. It would have to involve at least a certain measure of artificial intelligence, and at that rate you may as well just hire a nanny if you don't feel like following your little one around all day to keep him safe.

Is your 7 month old really alone in a different room from you that often, idanzalz? I can see wanting a monitor for when the kid is asleep or when the kid gets older and plays alone in his room so you can glance over and be reassured that things are going well, but a monitor that actually does the parenting work for you when your baby is awake and active? You know by the time this "smart monitor" you are proposing set an alarm off to notify you of the child putting a marble in his mouth it would already be too late. If you weren't close enough to watch him yourself then by the time you got there he'd already be choking. At that age little ones should always be supervised, an actual person keeping their eyes on them all the time, ready to grab things out of little hands and catch them when they crawl off of things etc.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well said Xero, and the other point is that the more you rely on tools the less you a cognisant of your own actions/preparations. If you know you're responsible for watching then a) you'll be doing it and b) you'll be on the lookout for things that shouldn't be there (like marbles). I know stuff happens and nobody can keep their house perfectly safe, I just think that you're safer if you're on your gaurd than if you are relying on a tool. Sort of echos my thoughts on consumer protection and society in general, we're getting lulled into a notion that things are safe unless someone tells us they're not and we're dulling our own responsive instincts.

techdad

May 21, 2011
<r>Hi all, <br/>
when I saw first post of this thread, many things sounded familiar to my experience in last 2 years.<br/>
<br/>
I also came up with a <URL url="http://www.smartbabymonitor.com"><s></s>Smart Baby Monitor<e></e></URL> idea when my son was around 12 months! <br/>
My idea is about “<COLOR color="DarkRed"><s></s><B><s></s>detecting when the child is uncovered during the night<e></e></B><e></e></COLOR>”. It seems there is no end for such smart functions as long as it’s technically achievable and usable.<br/>
<br/>
If you are interested, you can have a look for details of my Smart <URL url="</s>Baby Monitor<e></e></URL> idea.<br/>
<br/>
Cheers</r>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
okay, that's pretty close to advertising, it doesn't appear that you actually have anything for sale, So I'm leaving it, but fair warning if this progresses to anything else, or anyone else wants to hold this up as some kind of precedence.

First, It'd never in a millions years work with my kid, he's all over the bed each night. So, maybe it'd work but I really don't want to wake up to address it.

Second, are cold childrena big problem I'm not aware of? I mean most of keep our homes at comfortable temperatures, I mean they're not going to die of exposure or anything...if a kid kicks their covers off, and the get cold enough, don't they wake up and cry/leave the bed/snuggle in again....seems like a self resolving "problem."

If you invent something that hangs up clothes out of the dryer automatically, or unloads the dishwasher, I'm all in on that one.

mlprosper

Jul 6, 2011
I would second the use of a wireless web cam. I have 2 of them that I bought on Amazon. They are great for keeping an eye on toddlers without having to go from room to room to room.

They're also good for hilarious night vision antics when our toddler decides to stay up and play when we clearly told her to go to bed. :)

Jillybean356

Jul 14, 2011
Pheonix, Arizona
Last night my husband told me to try a new baby monitoring app (he read about it in some tech journal). It let's me listen in to our baby from anywhere and get texts when she cries.

Has anyone else used evoz? It is an iphone app so I don't know how popular it is..... please let me know if you have used it (I searched in the app store for evoz).

snehaashok22

Banned
Jul 14, 2011
hi all

I am a product design student and doing my project on baby monitor. So plz fill the questionanire and help me so that i can make a baby monitor with added facilty.

BayAreaLei

Aug 21, 2011
SF BayArea
I agree with most of the posts. A "smart" camera won't solve the problem. I don't believe technology is advanced that much these days that can understand what is dangerous to your kids.

My kid once put a spring from a broken clipper into his mouth and we only notice that when he tried to swallow it and showed some strange behavior. From then on, we tried our best to make sure there is nothing small that can be reached by him that would post danger.

Babies learn by using their mouth when they are young. So, putting things into their mouth is natural. But it is our parents' duty to make sure things they touch is safe.