Smoothies!...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I've decided to start making a morning smoothie for the family each day. What are some of your favorite healthy smoothie recipes?

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Clean-it-up Special!

All the slightly-over-ripe fruit in the basket gets thrown in the blender with some yogurt and WHALA! Its different and delicious every time.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I make some for my kids on occasion. Many are like Ivy's: any fruit that needs to be eaten ASAP. One that they seemed to really like was vanilla yogurt, orange juice, bananas, and ground flaxseed. They also like any smoothie with blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries.

Now if I could get them to eat the spinach and broccoli smoothies....:p

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Put in fresh beets and pineapple with the green veggies. The beets make it a wonderful color, and the pineapple hide the veggie flavor ;)

Just a little beet, and lots of pineapple.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Studies have found that chamomile is a mild sedative that seems to be safe for children of all ages. (It may trigger an allergic reaction, however, especially if a child is sensitive to ragweed.)
Bottom line: If not allergic to ragweed or other similar plants, drink up.
Herbs for Kids: What's Safe, What's Not

Echinacea. This herb flies off the shelves on the premise that it boosts the immune system and helps fend off colds. Scientific studies, however, have found conflicting results. Kemper reports that taking echinacea can cause dermatitis, but, like chamomile, it seems to be generally safe for children who aren't allergic to it
Herbs for Kids: What's Safe, What's Not

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Its kinda cool....you could make your own Booster Juice if you really wanted too! Smoothies with different herbs to help give your kidsa boost!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Awesome! I'm getting ready to get on the herbal program... hence the morning smoothies.

I used to take herbs daily for a variety of things and noticed lately that I have zero energy... figured it's time to do something about that.

Got to thinking about it today and thought that chamomile would be great to help Dd calm down and be able to focus a bit... she is very high energy and sometimes tends to get a little too wound.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
So far, I've started with a B-12 (sublinqual) in the morning and Korean Ginseng and multi-vitamin at lunch. Will increase the Ginseng to twice a day soon... staring off slowly.

That was what I already had in the med cab, I need to go herb shopping, but I want to get my shopping list put together so I don't have to take out a loan when I get to the check out.

<I>Korean Ginseng:</I>
Physical restorative and preventative tonic for health and illness prevention
Healthy for heart and good circulation
Normalizes blood pressure
Reduces cholesterol
Lowers blood sugar
Helps to prevent arteriosclerosis
Improves vision and hearing activity
Improves working ability and energizes physically and mentally
Checks irritability, stress and is good for depression
Sexual stimulant, enhances sexual desire and improves impotency and low sperm count
Improves athletic performance and increases endurance and stamina
Helps with the discomforts of menopause
May inhibit tumor growth, good cancer preventative effects

<LEFT>
<I>B-12</I>
helps support higher energy levels, emotional stability, mental clarity and more. Vitamin B12 has also been associated with lower homocysteine levels which helps lessen the risk of heart disease.​
</LEFT>

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
So, Dd arrived home on Saturday. I tried a fresh strawberry smoothie, a banana/peanut butter/honey smoothie and an orange juice slushie.... she didn't like any of them. WTH?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
They tasted just like a milkshake... all I can figure is that she doesn't like the texture. She's not much for ice cream. Will only eat it on occasion.

Either that or she's messing with me.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
HappyMomma said:
So, Dd arrived home on Saturday. I tried a fresh strawberry smoothie, a banana/peanut butter/honey smoothie and an orange juice slushie.... she didn't like any of them. WTH?
Maybe she just needs a few more tries. My daughter frequently won't eat more than a bite of anything new; she just needs time.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
To top that off, we made homemade oatmeal cookies (healthy recipe) and the little rascal only ate half of one and said she's rather have chocolate chip. I tasted all this stuff and it was good too. Sigh