So, what is everyone in your family up to?...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
For me, at the moment we are headed into the autumn/winter months, which means work is slowing down as it is the off-season for weddings. There are still a few going on (good old "I am having a winter wonderland theme, I want white roses/lillies with artificial raindrops on them, I bet no one has ever thought of that one before!"), so it's not like I go completely out of work, but no where near the demand of the spring/summer seasons. Of course there is always the "florist bread and butter" of funerals and general purpose to keep us going.

Ash (my husband) was apparently nominated by his workplace in the annual "Australia's favourite librarian" competition that the Australian Library and Information Association" runs every year, which he is actually embarrassed about because he is so introverted, so we will just wait and see if he gets shortlisted (which I hope he does, just to see how much it makes him squirm... I know, I know, I'm mean).

Sasha has almost finished his first term of school (term 1 finished next Thursday, then they break for autumn holidays) and he LOVES it, I am stoked about the teacher he has, she has taught both Azriel and Sunny in the past and I know she is fantastic. His favourite subject is 'communities' which they do once a week, they are building a giant 'community' at the back of the classroom and once a week a member of the community comes in and talks about what they do, and then they add them in to their big community at the back of the classroom. Every Tuesday he comes home telling me that when he grows up he wants to be whoever has spoken to them that day. Police officer, paramedic, maternal health nurse, postman. Little does he know it, but Ash was asked by the school to come in some time next term to talk about the library being part of the community, we have decided to not tell Sasha and just let Ash walk in there and start talking, to see what the reaction is (again, yes I am mean).

Lux is in her last year of primary school, she ran for school captain but didn't get voted in. She was on school camp two weeks ago and she had a ball because they did lots of horse riding, which is her 'thing'. She is currently doing the 'Premiers Reading Challenge' which is a state-run reading competition, for her age range she has to read a minimum of 15 novels by September, and 10 of them have to be from a special list. Last year she was in the newspaper for being on the "honour roll" for reaching 100 books, she is aiming to do the same this year.

Sunny is in her first year of high school and is doing pretty well. She isn't very fond of the jump in amount of homework, but she is very happy with her teachers and has made new friends, which is fantastic. She does need to learn to leave Azriel alone though, she seems to like the idea of having her big brother at school with her, and we did have an issue at the beginning of the year of Sunny and her friends following Azriel and his friends around during lunch, but we have that solved now. Her favourite subject at the moment is art, her class have done photography and ceramics so far this year and she is absolutely enamoured with photography, she is already begging for a DSLR for her birthday *sigh*.

Azriel is doing well too. He is in year 11, which is the second last year of school, but he is doing Music Theory and Music Performance with the year 12's, and he will undertake final exams and such for them at the end of this year, then they will be counted towards his university score at the end of next year. He is finding the music theory much more demanding than the year 10 level (understandable, seeing as he skipped a year) but he is pulling along with it. He has also started teaching piano lessons to kids after school, which he seems to be enjoying. Seeing as he wants to be a music teacher, it is good experience for him.

Dita has started university, which she is enjoying, she is hating the travel into the city though. She is also undertaking a chefs apprenticeship at a local restaurant, which she is loving. She is pretty much always on the go, and always exhausted, but it is all worth it, it is amazing how much her cooking has improved too, not saying it was ever bad to begin with, trust me, that girl became a better cook than me at the age of 12, but recently I have been finding fancy cakes and tarts sitting in the kitchen, which is a new experience.

Violet is still living with us, and honestly, seeing as living at home throughout tertiary study is the norm in Australia, it looks like it will be that way for a while still. She has started her biomedicine course, which, I have to say, looking at her textbooks is twice as full on as it sounds, but she is very enthusiastic about it. She is also hating the travel though.

Oh and the biggest news in our family is that my SIL (Ash's younger sister) is pregnant. She has twin girls, who are currently 10 who were conceived via IVF, as she only has one ovary due to a previous ectopic pregnancy, and some major hormone issues which meant that she only ovulated once every 4 months, so this was a complete shock to everyone (her and her husband included) but we are all very excited, she is currently 16 weeks.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well we have moved back to Wales finally! I'm now head of unit (I work with adults and children with special needs) and Aune is head midwife at our local hospital.

Jack is in Peru at the minute, his partner works for the soil association and they're allowed to take partners/children with them, so he is mainly doing nothing! Doing nothing seems to be his best skill in life.

Melia is working in engineering, at the minute she designs farm machinery and things like dumper trucks etc.

The others are mainly annoying, getting into trouble at school, arguing and generally making a mess.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Sounds like everyone is doing good Cybele! Good luck to the hubby!

Let's see. Lupan moved out, him and his girlfriend got a house. Kinda a sore spot here, not the moving out, but moving out and the girlfriend not having a job, then getting food stamps. If you can't support yourself then you don't need to move out. Lupan is capable of supporting them, he makes good money but when the hubby got him the job at the plant, there were conditions to it. Like staying home, saving, saving, saving and going back to school. He's doing good though. I am proud of him, just wish he would have done what he said he would do.

Sam is moving out, a few minutes away really. While Lupans move was frustrating Sam's is for the better. She's moving in with two of her guy friends, and the house is a mess. You can tell a bunch of guys were living there lol. Moving for her is a good thing, I don't think she would leave home if she didn't have to. She has to because her dog and my little wiener dog were getting into fights (my little guy has been staying with Lupan) nothing we did would fix the problem so someone had to go, something had to change. This was the best solution. They rotate enough that Ace will almost always have someone home with him. I'm gonna miss that dog, he's more mine then her's seeing as I have been doing all of his care since a pup, but it is best.

Megan will be starting Cosmetology school here soon...and finding her first job. Ted, is well Ted and doing as well as expected.

The littles are chugging along. Cole hate's school and I don't ever see this changing. He loves history, and if that was the only study he could have he would be a happy camper. Everything else is like pulling teeth. Vanna does well in school, she doesn't love it, but doesn't hate it. She's a pretty smart cookie, one of those kids that doesn't have to study hard to understand the work. Aiden is a little behind in phonics, but since we had his glasses adjusted a few weeks back I am seeing a big improvement. I'm not to concerned seeing as he is pretty much where the other boys were at this point, and Kailyn, well she's 3 need I say more?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Hmm lets see:

The future ex is present,,,,,,,,,,,,,physically.

My job is kind of in a neat place that is a little hard to explain. There are two more years left before they shut down our home terminal. So they are placing Chicago crews in the lineup. This means I am home a lot. I am working two days a week. But I am on a guarantee board. Which means I make the same pay whether or not I work as long as I am in OK status. So I get to spend a ton of time with the kids. And dont lose money.

Cole hit the honer roll for the sixth time in a row. Makes me proud. But he is on the raggedy edge. The lesson of the year is that the little job's left undone: (homework: shoveling snow: cleaning his room) become huge jobs eventually. I dont really know why I try and teach him lessons. As he already "know's it all".

One of our fav activities is scaring each other. He screwed up the other night and decided his mom might want to play. Not surprisingly she is not a fan of someone jumping out of the closet when she thinks: she is alone. Something I call "A poorly planed event" I got him good last night hiding in a dark corner of the basement as he came down to play Xbox I just ran at him AAArrrrggg. Its funny the way his knees give out when he is truly scared. He still need to get a handle on the difference between "Startle" and "Scare".

We have been target shooting with his bow on most days the weather allow. He is getting pretty good. There are a couple of "chore's" he is responsible with. Most: not so much. He wants to argue everything. Which perturbs me. He and his mom will battle back and forth. Which also perturbs me.

Chloe is off her supplements and doing very well. She is not constantly eating and her weight is getting back into a more normal range. She has also made honor roll every quarter this year. I still do not know what her cognitive abilities are. And her communication skills are probably still at a early grade school level.

Social interaction is off the charts for her. She has other girls (friends) she goes to the playground with. And seeks out interaction with us constantly. She has recently started to tackle me when we are playing. We Dance: Wrestle: and play daily. Her high level of energy is starting to become a little bit of an issue with other people. The school brings her into the wrestling room. Which is completely padded with matts. This has become a favored activity. So much so that they use time in the room for a reward.

She is beginning to grow up I.E. Bra ect... I don't know if I like this. In fact I know I don't. I like giving her baths and wrestling (tickling and belly blowers). I fear these activities will have to come to an end because it is (to be frank) kinda creepy. But these are the cards I have been dealt.

I go to her second IEP meeting Thursday. So I need to prepare the next few days. Her respite care giver is a great high school girl and they get along very well. We are happy to have her.

Me: doing pretty well. I guess: I long for a little adult interaction and since I am working less and home more. And the wife and I only interact when necessary. She kinda lives upstairs and I kinda live down. I was able to go out and socialize a bit when I was AFHT. Now its few and far between. Oh and M2m is kicking my butt on "Candy Crush" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for now<EMOJI seq="1f192">:cool:</EMOJI>. Looking forward to the weather breaking so I can prep the pool. This extra time off will make for a great summer if it last's.:D

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, I personally am trying out cooking and baking new things. Going to try a "marshmallow cheesecake" tonight for dessert haha hopefully it turns out alright. I am still losing weight slowly but surely (this comment makes sense after mentioning cheesecake, right?), and it's interesting to weigh what I did in high school again lol. Not too much to go before I reach my long term goal, which is really exciting. I just need to exercise more and "tone up" if you will. I keep finding a bunch of fun stuff on Pinterest to do with my kids while we are bored inside in this nasty weather. In a few minutes here I am going to bring in the kids' car seats and adjust them. Nothing too exciting. :p

My oldest starts Kindergarten this coming fall, I have already registered him, and he's very excited about the whole thing. He turns six in September as well, which for him turned out to be a really good thing. He would not have been ready for K last year, he was very behind maturity wise and needed to do a lot of work on the "basics" that kids should really know before going to K. He has improved immensely in this last year of preschool, matured a ton and really taken an interest in learning. Is now properly writing his name and does simple math like small number addition and subtraction, even a tiny bit of multiplication, as well as counting pretty much as far as I can probably count lol. He has started reading and spelling a little, he can sound words out to spell and read very well. Even in motor skills (that he used to be behind on) he has caught I would say completely up with his peers. He is much less emotional and more reasonable and understanding. He still has impulse behavior and attention span issues, but they have also shown much improvement. So he is now very ready to start K and I'm happy our cut off age is the way it is because I feel it truly benefited him. I'm proud of how good he is now doing. The only thing I will say still hasn't improved much are his eating habits, still barely eats enough to survive and doesn't like anything (but he did try taco salad and chili in the past few months and liked them!), but I have hope that he will grow out of it.

My youngest will be turning two in June, he is a total love bug ham. He is talking great, saying something new every day, and always smiling and laughing. He's an easy baby, goes to sleep for naps and bed like an angel and gives hugs and kisses and cuddles at every chance he gets. He likes to climb on things and get into stuff and smear food into his hair like any other 1 year old lol. He is just getting over a very mild cold, which is maybe like the third time he's ever been sick. He likes to color, play with play doh, help me make cookies, push cars and say "vroom vroom" and play with a little water and a few small cups etc.

So how many of us are watching Walking Dead tonight? I know I'll be watching with at least bssage and M2M. :)

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Mom2all said:
Wow.. everyone is doing so well though! Good for you! I got a little jealous about the fancy tarts your finding though.. all I find in my kitchen now days is empty containers. :rolleyes:
By the time I find it there is only a tiny bit left anyway.

mom2many said:
Aiden is a little behind in phonics, but since we had his glasses adjusted a few weeks back I am seeing a big improvement. I'm not to concerned seeing as he is pretty much where the other boys were at this point
It is amazing how much of a difference glasses make, Sasha got his recently (well, about 6 months-ish ago) and he improved so much too. He went from not being able to recognise letters to writing his name within two weeks (still can't write his surname though, we have some repeating letters in it and he gets stuck on them and writes them over and over, so apparently his name is Sasha Corcorcorcorcorcor, then he forgets what the rest is :laugh:

bssage said:
I dont really know why I try and teach him lessons. As he already "know's it all".
And the good news there is that he will only know more and more up until the age of about 17/16, and you will know less, even on topics you clearly know best on, like things that happened in your life before he was born.

bssage said:
I got him good last night hiding in a dark corner of the basement as he came down to play Xbox I just ran at him AAArrrrggg. Its funny the way his knees give out when he is truly scared. He still need to get a handle on the difference between "Startle" and "Scare".
:biglaugh: I love hearing about your scaring shenanigans.

bssage said:
Social interaction is off the charts for her. She has other girls (friends) she goes to the playground with. And seeks out interaction with us constantly. She has recently started to tackle me when we are playing. We Dance: Wrestle: a<U><U><U>nd play daily. Her high level of energy is starting to become a little bit of an issue with other people. The school brings her into the wrestling room. Which is completely padded with matts. This has become a favored activity. So much so that they use time in the room for a reward.</U></U></U>
<U><U><U>

That is really awesome, especially the friends part. Not so much about the energy issues, but it is great that she is becoming much more social.</U></U></U>

bssage said:
<U><U><U>She is beginning to grow up I.E. Bra ect... I don't know if I like this. In fact I know I don't. I like giving her baths and wrestling (tickling and belly blowers). I fear these activities will have to come to an end because it is (to be frank) kinda creepy. But these are the cards I have been dealt.</U></U></U>
<U><U><U>

Not necessarily, Ash wanted Dita's spot on the couch last night so he jumped on her and wrestled her off it, perfectly normal behaviour for those two... except now that they are both adults he isn't so gentle as he used to be and Dita does kickboxing, so he usually (unintentionally, she really doesn't know her own strength, and overestimates her father's) gets hurt.

And trust me, when she is much older and she goes and picks out and buys her own bras, and you find one in the wash that was not intended for you to ever find out that she has, you will be wishing for that first bra back again, so all I can say is appreciate the first bra for all it's wonderful plain-ness.</U></U></U>

Xero said:
<U><U><U>I keep finding a bunch of fun stuff on Pinterest to do with my kids while we are bored inside in this nasty weather.</U></U></U>
<U><U><U>

I had to delete the pinterest app off my phone because I was on it way too much, so I have limited myself to only at home now. That website is scarily addictive.</U></U></U>

Xero said:
<U><U><U>So he is now very ready to start K and I'm happy our cut off age is the way it is because I feel it truly benefited him. I'm proud of how good he is now doing. The only thing I will say still hasn't improved much are his eating habits, still barely eats enough to survive and doesn't like anything (but he did try taco salad and chili in the past few months and liked them!), but I have hope that he will grow out of it.</U></U></U>
<U><U><U>

Azriel was similar, he used to eat such small portions of such a small variety of foods, it took us a while but we eventually built up his little collection of Azriel-approved foods, it takes time, but you do get there in the end. Good luck.</U></U></U>

Xero said:
<U><U><U>So how many of us are watching Walking Dead tonight? I know I'll be watching with at least bssage and M2M. :)</U></U></U>
<U><U><U>

Boo. We are still on season one here. Lousy delayed broadcast.</U></U></U>

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I cried lol. I won't spoil anything. Cybele could you get the other seasons if you wanted to? What about Netflix? I'm pretty sure the first two seasons are on Netflix.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
So how many of us are watching Walking Dead tonight? I know I'll be watching with at least bssage and M2M. :)
Oh, me too! Except it's a little tricky, because I don't have TV, so I have to download the episodes from Amazon. I usually can't watch them until Monday. So no spoilers till Monday night!!

I am in the middle of a cold, and I have a rule that I don't have to do anything I don't want to (unless I have to) when I'm sick. It's just much easier that way. But we got lovely spring blizzard tonight, so I had to shovel the driveway after the kids went to bed. Otherwise there was no way we'd be getting out of here tomorrow. It's supposed to be well on its way to melting, so I'm pretty upset.

My daughter in first grade is enjoying school. My husband has been taking the older two to hockey games all winter, and her favorite team came in to her school last week to read with the first graders, and she was so excited about that. I think it's so cute that they do that.

My son has decided that he likes singing, but apparently it's nobody's business, so he will go into my room and shut the door (which he thinks is sound-proof) and sing at the top of his lungs - totally adorable. He won't sing for me even if I ask, but he will if he thinks no one is listening.

My younger daughter is potty training, which is going not so great. My technique kind of hinges on that fact that little kids can't hold it very long, but she can go hours, no matter how much juice she drinks. Today I just took a break because I'm sick and I don't like to do anything while I'm sick. But I think I'm either going to have to come up with a different strategy or postpone this. I'm kind of disappointed because I prided myself in getting my kids all trained before their 2nd birthday, but it doesn't look like that's happening this time.

I also got called in for work tomorrow. Not sure what work there will be in a blizzard, but apparently they have something...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mmm, I don't think I can write as much as everyone else :p

Steffi just finished her first quarter in grade 1. She is doing really well, according to her teacher - scored above average in just about everything :) She is quite the social butterfly too - always wanting to have play-dates with friends.

The few discipline issues we had are just about sorted. She has learned to listen (most of the time :p) when I ask her to do something, and more importantly, when I ask her NOT to do something.

I still often tell her stories about her mom, about things we did together (especially after she was born - as a family). She has developed a habit of asking me random questions about her mom - what she liked, what she didn't like, what she was scared of, etc. I believe this is a good thing. I get the impression that she is more curious about her mom than emotional. I suppose any child would want to know about a lost parent.

She also still goes to visit her maternal grand-parents every one-two months. Them and I have managed to reach a kind of truce, and they are now tolerating me with reasonable grace for the sake of seeing their grand child.

As for me - not much to say. Working hard, trying to keep overtime to a minimum but failing more often that I want to. Will have to do something about it, I can see it slowly building back up to 12 hours a day, and I'm not up for that anymore.

I've been seeing a girl for about a year now - I've mentioned her on here before. We are taking things slowly, but it's going well, all in all. She and Steffi gets along really well. That makes me happy :)

Beyond that, training hard - I'm running a 89km (56 mile) ultra-marathon in June. Was hoping to do it in under 9 hours, but I had too many interruptions in my training schedule, so I'll probably have to adjust the target down to 9:30 at best. No sense in gunning for an unattainable goal, burning out and not finishing.

Oh yeah, and it turns out my family is even more messed up than I thought. Phew, thank goodness I have little to no contact with them (except my brother, of course - he has always been and still is cool) and my DD has no contact with them whatsoever :rolleyes:

Ok, that was more than I thought I'd manage!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
You know what SD, I don't think I have ever seen your daughter's name before... I went "Wait... who is Steffi? ... ... ...OOOHHHHH!"

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
cybele said:
You know what SD, I don't think I have ever seen your daughter's name before... I went "Wait... who is Steffi? ... ... ...OOOHHHHH!"
LOL, yeah... it's Stephanie, actually. But she's only ever been called Steffi :)

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
What are we doing?
keeping six kids in check,
moving job this week on thursday
getting ready for easter
going car shopping and a tonne of other stuff...
my boss is in the room will add later

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
as promised back:

this is my last week at my current job so is a sad week for me, my desk is covered in cards at the moment.

Me and my wife are settling into a new routine where we agree to have one night each where we go out with either the guys (for me) or the girls (for my wife). Then one night where we go out as a couple and have a night off baby duties.