So, who else has a pet cemetery in the garden?...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I needed to dig some post holes in the garden, and realized that I needed them in about the same spot where the cockatiel is buried :eek:. I was so worried that I was going to find it, while I was digging. I don't think Jadzia would ever have forgiven me.

Anyone else have pets buried in the garden?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
yes several.

Last year I had to dig a grave in my dad's yard. Middle of summer dry as a bone. Like digging in rock. So the hole I dug was just big enough to put his medium frame lab into. The real problem was that he had been on a trip when the dog died. And by the time he got home. Riger had set in. So the dog was locked in a standing position. Dad of course was distraught at losing his companion. So I had to do it all. I had to lay him in on his back feet pointing up. I still look for a paw poking out through the dirt when I am over for a visit.

The lesson is fold you dogs legs after passing. Its a hard enough deal without dealing with an awkward corpse.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
bssage said:
yes several.

Last year I had to dig a grave in my dad's yard. Middle of summer dry as a bone. Like digging in rock. So the hole I dug was just big enough to put his medium frame lab into. The real problem was that he had been on a trip when the dog died. And by the time he got home. Riger had set in. So the dog was locked in a standing position. Dad of course was distraught at losing his companion. So I had to do it all. I had to lay him in on his back feet pointing up. I still look for a paw poking out through the dirt when I am over for a visit.

The lesson is fold you dogs legs after passing. Its a hard enough deal without dealing with an awkward corpse.
Did "burial at sea" ever cross your mind?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No, the only thing we've lost so far is a fish. We don't have any pets otherwise, only the new fish lol.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Yes we do, quite a few animals actually. We try to keep them all in the same area but sometimes it's hard cause like you I am always afraid we will dig up more then I want.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
bssage said:
yes several.

GULP! :eek:

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm reminded of a joke:

"One day little Timmy was digging a hole in his back yard. The next-door neighbor spotted him and decided to investigate. 'Hello Timmy, what are you up to?' the neighbor asked. 'My goldfish died and I'm gonna bury him', Timmy replied. 'That's a really big hole for a goldfish, isn't it?' asked the neighbor. 'That's because he's inside of your cat' , replied Timmy. "