SoCalMom...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I have a question. SoCalMom posted a rather spammy thread today advertising for some christmas show, spammy to the point where I couldn't even find any reason to leave it there. So I deleted it, you can see it if you want under the "General" section and its called "Starting my Christmas shopping!". If it were anybody else who joined just to spam, I would have banned them. But she has about 12 other posts she made previously and they are all pretty innocent, non-spam posts. I usually warn people about links in the thread, but since I had to delete the whole thing, I was just going to send her a short warning via PM. But when I sent it, I got this error message:

<LIST type="decimal">

1. <LI>
  2. SoCalMom has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.</LI>
</LIST>I checked her profile again to make sure nobody beat me to banning her lol, and she is still a member. I didn't even realize you could choose not to recieve PMs. You'd think a mod could still send her one, but oh well. My question is - what now? lol. Should I just leave it alone? I'd hate to have her do it again when I haven't warned her. But maybe she wont. I don't know.

Thoughts? :eek:

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Actually, I think you can go into their account settings under VBulletin and turn the PMing on for them. I would do this, send her the PM, let it be a couple of days and turn it back off.

Or, you can take the public humiliation route.... your call.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Dadu2004 said:
Or, you can take the public humiliation route.... your call.
LOL I totally thought of that! But I kind of thought that would be too mean, even for me. :D hehe

I guess I knew about the account settings thing, I've explored it before. I think its a combination of - I forgot, and I didn't make the connection between the PM thing. :p Perfect solution!! Thanks Steve.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
me personally....for someone who turns off PMs I'd go for a public humiliation...lol sounds mean but in my mind you seriously deserve it if you think your too good for a PM :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I couldn't get the PM settings to change!!! Ugh!!! And now I feel like its been too long, so if anyone see's her doing it again feel free to publicly humiliate. lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
doesn't seem to me that she really menat to spam, just pointing out a great deal she thought others might want to know about.

I don't disagree with deleting the thread lest we cet started allowing too many links posted. I know I posted one back in the day about the ice cream ball, and today I probably would have deleted that link if I were modding me.

As for letting her know, I'd probably just drop it. Not worth the effort to turn on PMs, write her, turn them back off etc... and not an infraction worth of much public humiliation.

Like you said she has 12 other posts...

I think it was an innocent mistake.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I felt the same way, that it wasn't a very big deal, and I already did drop it. I'm leaving it alone unless it happens again.

But her entire post was complete spam. She said she was christmas shopping, but her post had nothing to do with shopping at all. The entire thing was an advertisement for that show, and how you could get tickets for so cheap off of their personal website (and they weren't cheap). The whole thing sounded like a commercial lol. There was nothing productive about it at all. There was no way you could respond to that thread except "Oh ok thanks, I'll go buy some". lol And very few of us actually even live close to New York.

And although she does have 12 other innocent posts, none of them actually SAY anything that matters. That's what spammers do.