Some of you may have heard...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
About the current bushfires in Victoria in Australia.

Well, on Saturday the temperature got up to 48 degrees, thats 118 fahrenheit. Both natural causes and arson started an array of bushfires. The cool change came in the night, but it brought lightning, which struck up more bushfires.

This weekend alone, the death toll is at 84, with hardly any burned houses searched yet, 750 homes lost and two entire cities destroyed, Marysville has only one building standing and all homes in Kinglake are gone, the fire is still burning though as the area is full of gum trees, which are slow burning.

Sadly, as fires are being put out, arsons are re-lighting them, there is also alot of strong winds spreading the fires.

There are currently 12 seperate fires burning throughout the state.

84 dead, 750 homes lost in fire horror | The Australian

Victoria's killer fires | NEWS.com.au#

I may be gone for a bit, if you read the news report I posted at the bottom theres a list of surburbs that are in the danger area, we live in Christmas Hills, which is listed and we have been told that depending on how the fires pan out through the night, we made need to evacuate tomorrow morning. If this happens DH and I have discided to send our girls with my dads to the city to stay, as DH is a police officer and I am a nurse, were both needed here, so we will stay behind.

So if im absent for a while, thats where i'll be.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
We havent been evacuated yet, thank god. But that said, if we go outside we cant breathe due to the amount of smoke in the air, and outside its an eerie red/orange glow, you cant see the sky.

Apparently the death toll is now at 108, with 78 people hospitalised and the amount of fires has increased from 12 to 35 throughout the state. DH has gone, he has to evacuate people from other towns and he wont be returning home until the fires are over. Im not sure how long i'll stay either, the Red Cross are putting out al call for nurses to volunteer to work in their tents.

So weve got the van ready with everything needed if we need to evacuate, my dads are staying here, as they have already been evacuated fom their home, which theyre convinced is gone, a news report brought their street and there were no houses standing on it.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
this reminds me a little bit of what happens in california every year.
hope it ends soon without much more damage or loss of life.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
you'll be in my thoughts, this is all so sad. I hope they are able to get these fires under control soon and nobody else loses their lives