Something we are trying...

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Hi all,

I have 2 kids and I'm fairly new to this parenting forum (although not new to parenting :D). Our kids are 8 and 6 so we have all those things like, homework, chores and TV that compete for our kids time and interest. We have recently started doing a system of reward/consequence that has made this very easy in our house. It's called (removed by mom2many) and it has helped us heaps. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried a similar system and how it has worked/not worked for you.

Cheers,

A.

Last edited by a moderator:

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
apochimongitus said:
We have recently started doing a system of reward/consequence that has made this very easy in our house. It's called the button economy and it has helped us heaps. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried a similar system and how it has worked/not worked for you.
From a developmental psychology stand point, I don't even know where to start to tell you how much I think this "economy" is counter-productive, if not downright damaging. :mad:
See Kohn, A. (1999). <I>Punished by rewards: the trouble with gold stars, incentive plans, A's, Praise and other bribes</I>, New York: Houghton Mifflin.

Oh, and one more thing. advertising external sites is against the rules, just so you know.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Please do not solicit your blog here. We are here to help people with problems, not advertise your site for you. If you would like to stick around and offer solid parenting advice or ask a question regarding your children, we welcome that. However, we do not welcome acting as a bot to drive traffic to your site.

Thanks.

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Sorry if I've offended you. Certainly wasn't expecting such a negative response but there you go. Besides reading a book to find out why this system is problematic, can you explain to me what you think the problem with it might be. I'm no different to any other parent here trying to find a good way of raising my kids (and I honestly thought that the button economy was a good idea). If this has been done before and failed, then I'd prefer to know before I do serious damage.

If you're so angry that you can't respond, then I understand and we can part ways.

Cheers,

A.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
apochimongitus said:
Sorry if I've offended you. Certainly wasn't expecting such a negative response but there you go. Besides reading a book to find out why this system is problematic, can you explain to me what you think the problem with it might be. I'm no different to any other parent here trying to find a good way of raising my kids (and I honestly thought that the button economy was a good idea). If this has been done before and failed, then I'd prefer to know before I do serious damage.
If you're so angry that you can't respond, then I understand and we can part ways.
I am not angry at you, I am simply sad that this kind of "recipe" is advertised so much as a miracle cure all around the web (whether it is "buttons", sticker charts, and other things like it).
I would be happy to try to explain. But it's difficult to do it in a short way. Reading the book will provide a lot more details, but globally:

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • It creates an artificial setup with an artificial rewards system</LI>
    <LI>
  • It promotes external locus of control (motivation develops from the outside, not from the inside)</LI>
    <LI>
  • It causes children to learn not to do things unless they get the reward</LI>
    <LI>
  • It causes children to develop manipulation skills (thinking in term of "what can I gain" rather than "why it is the right thing to do"</LI>
    <LI>
  • Love and care will start to be seen as an exchangable commodity, a currency, since this is the model that is taught to them. "How much button is worth a hug to mama?", thank kind of thing.</LI>
    <LI>
  • You can't control your child everywhere with "buttons". What will you do when he is in school? With friends? When he must take decisions for himself? He will learn to relate his ethical and moral process only to what "pays" or how much "currency" I can get</LI>
    <LI>
  • As your children grow, they will find the "buttons" to be more and more unfair (why would YOU be the bank?) and child-like, eventually this will cause resentment and erode the attachment</LI>
    <LI>
  • When you decide to stop you might find out the real important lessons of life have not been learned</LI>
    <LI>
  • The more you use a reward system, the more your children will require bigger rewards. One day, screen time won't be enough. There are friends with free TV, there are cells, laptops for school, etc. To continue such a pattern is to be continuously finding more things they want to "bribe" them with</LI>
    <LI>
  • It teaches that screen time is THE more important thing someone should WANT. What if they like to play outside? What if they might have liked to play outside, except now they have been taught that screen time HAS to be more valuable, since it is now a "currency" ?</LI>
</LIST>
I hope you can get the gist of it.
Please do not hesitate to post and share, and ask.
I hope this helps, I do not mean to break your bubble; I am however under the idea that you need to be VERY cautious with this kind of child rearing, and that in the long run and when done in a systematic way, it can be very harmful.

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for your response.

There are certainly some valid points that you raise here.

We hoped the buttons would teach our kids that there is a cost involved in watching TV or spending too much time engaging in these kinds of activities. I have noticed very positive results coming from our kids when using buttons. We do spend a fair bit of time explaining our expectations and that sort of thing.

Screen Time isn't the only trade-able element. They have to make sure they have enough buttons to trade for their allowance. They have also chosen their own button savings goals so that they must plan how much they can afford on 'screen time' vs pocket money and their long term goals. In the past when we've spent money on their toys, they saw no relationship between it's cost and how they treated it. Using buttons, there is a direct cost that they can see and hopefully they will take better care and responsibility of their belongings.

The point of the buttons is that our children can begin to learn that there is a 'cost' associated with certain actions. If they break something, they pay it's value in buttons. When my children go out from our home, the understanding that there is a cost to certain actions will hopefully go with them. Just to clarify too, we use the buttons as both a reward and discipline system. It's not just about how much they get, it's also about how much it will cost.

They do know from us that our love is not for sale and is as unconditional as we are able to give.

As an aside, how does one go about encouraging an internal locus of control? I've had a think about how this works inwardly, it is still a reward/cost system... it's pretty much how humanity works. eg. If I don't do the dishes, there won't be clean dishes and my families health could suffer; If I do the dishes, the plates will be clean and I will feel good that I am protecting my families health.

Cheers and thanks again for taking the time to respond.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
apochimongitus said:
We hoped the buttons would teach our kids that there is a cost involved in watching TV or spending too much time engaging in these kinds of activities.
There is a cost to heath. Using a "currency" introduces a fake material cost. It gets you some temporary compliance for the wrong reasons.

apochimongitus said:
I have noticed very positive results coming from our kids when using buttons.
I have no doubt about that... which is why it is so pervasive. It "works", but it also sends a lot of underlying messages, some of which I believe are not intended.

apochimongitus said:
Screen Time isn't the only trade-able element. They have to make sure they have enough buttons to trade for their allowance. They have also chosen their own button savings goals so that they must plan how much they can afford on 'screen time' vs pocket money and their long term goals.
I am not saying that there isn't some beneficial effect either.
Teaching children how to save, delayed gratification, and developing an ethic of work is always good to do.
Unfortunately, when it is used as a system, in a regular way as you describe, it holds many negative impacts on the long run on development, as far as I know (I do not pretend to have the only truth, you can take it or leave it).

apochimongitus said:
In the past when we've spent money on their toys, they saw no relationship between it's cost and how they treated it. Using buttons, there is a direct cost that they can see and hopefully they will take better care and responsibility of their belongings.
You could get the same result by simply giving them an allowance and letting them decide how to spend it. The whole convoluted scheme of "buttons" is creating a manipulative layer, enforced by the parents, to "control" children's behavior through external bribes.

apochimongitus said:
The point of the buttons is that our children can begin to learn that there is a 'cost' associated with certain actions. If they break something, they pay it's value in buttons.
Yet aren't we allowed to make mistakes? What if we are just clumsy?
When dad or mom breaks something, are they using their "free" access to the button bank? Why are the rules different for some people in the family?
Unconditional love is also acceptance that people make mistakes and that they learn by doing and by failing. The whole point I am trying to convey here is that <I>not everything is a matter of cost</I>.

I'd rather have a child genuinely sorry for a mistake, than sorry for the "money" it's going to cost him to "repair it".
I'd rather have a child genuinely wondering if it made someone sad (impact on others) rather than calculating the impact on his piggy bank.

apochimongitus said:
They do know from us that our love is not for sale and is as unconditional as we are able to give.
I am not sure they will get this, unconsciously, when the message you send them when using systematic "currency" in the house is just at the opposite. You can *bet* your children are already developing and thinking about strategies that enable them to have more "buttons". They perfectly know what to say, how to say it, or what to do for this to happen more. It's the main, major, growing problem with a constant reward scheme such as this.

apochimongitus said:
As an aside, how does one go about encouraging an internal locus of control?
Exactly by doing the very opposite of what you are advocating.
When the child is not motivated to do something, you do NOT offer a reward. You sit down, have a conversation, and try to understand <I>why</I> the child is not motivated. You get to the bottom of the motivation. You listen actively, to let them fully tell you what is going on, and you validate their feelings and emotions, because it releases the resistance.
Then, you ask THEM to come up with a solution, so that the task can get done in a way that makes them motivated.
The more you let children come up with their OWN solutions, the more you will train them to develop an internal locus of control. The reward is simply the inner feeling of satisfaction from a job well done; from knowing YOU found the solution yourself, and you DID it, and it WORKED.
The parent should act as much as possible as a facilitator, as a coach - but not as a motivator, a briber or a controller.
It's the very opposite philosophy.

apochimongitus said:
I've had a think about how this works inwardly, it is still a reward/cost system...
No offense, but you might think this only because your world is shaped around "cost" so much that you seem blind to other possibilities, IMO.

apochimongitus said:
it's pretty much how humanity works. eg.
Well, no, sorry. Many recent research suggest that if human managed to evolve and survive as a species, it is because we have been able to collaborate and do things for the other people around us, and not only for ourselves. Think of parenting... aren't you ready to give your life for your children, in the blink of an eye, without even thinking about it? This is how humanity works. When it really matters, it's NOT about cost. It's ESPECIALLY not about the cost. Your inner values and sense of ethics, your love, is what drives you.

apochimongitus said:
If I don't do the dishes, there won't be clean dishes and my families health could suffer; If I do the dishes, the plates will be clean and I will feel good that I am protecting my families health.
Feeling good about protecting your loved one, in my book, is far from being a question of cost. But we can argue forever on the meaning of words such as "reward". The point is that: are you doing the dishes for your family because it's the right thing to do for them, or only because it makes you feel good? It's your choice. My guess is, when it's for them, and not only for you, it's a lot more motivating...

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I can see that you're entirely unsatisfied with this idea.

Many of these systems are born of a parents desire to encourage a pragmatic 'the kids need to pull their weight around the house' approach. So what do you make of home organisation techniques? Do you think that children should have chores and responsibilities around the home and how would you go about ensuring that they do what is expected of them?

Cheers,

A.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
apochimongitus said:
Many of these systems are born of a parents desire to encourage a pragmatic 'the kids need to pull their weight around the house' approach.
I am all for this goal. We only disagree on the way to get there.

apochimongitus said:
So what do you make of home organisation techniques? Do you think that children should have chores and responsibilities around the home and how would you go about ensuring that they do what is expected of them?
Yes, definitely!
Children are part of the family. Chores are a familial responsibility, it has to be shared because it benefits the family as a whole, and because as a <I>member</I> of a family, one has benefits but also <I>obligations</I>.

However, if you get children to do chores because they want TV time and you install some sort of "trade" and reward system for it, you do not teach them the core point. They may do some chores, but for the wrong, selfish reason of getting their reward. The minute you are not there anymore to give them their buttons or whatever it is, the motivation is gone.

We do not disagree on the need for home organization.
But I am of he strong belief that families can sit down together and come up with a list of all chores, then divide it <I>together</I>, after a discussion was done about <I>why</I> we need to do these.
See for instance Dr. Thomas Gordon's "Parent Effectiveness Training" to read about family problem solving around chores, and how to develop children's self-discipline around these tasks (rather than externally motivated by threats and/or bribes).

Pecodad

Feb 1, 2012
parentastic said:
From a developmental psychology stand point, I don't even know where to start to tell you how much I think this "economy" is counter-productive, if not downright damaging. :mad:
See Kohn, A. (1999). <I>Punished by rewards: the trouble with gold stars, incentive plans, A's, Praise and other bribes</I>, New York: Houghton Mifflin.

Oh, and one more thing. advertising external sites is against the rules, just so you know.

I am curious, what is your field of study. I understand you referrenced a book about the topic. But have you studied developmental psychology? I have. A token economy can be very useful at establishing behaviors. In a later post you indicated one rational for why it would be harmful. You mentioned the child creating an external locus of control instead of internalizing the behavior. A token economy does not necissarily create an external locus of control or cause the child to externalize rationals for why certain behaviors are socially, culturally, or morally acceptable. Infact, if we look at society we establish norms of acceptable behavior off of token systems.

From my research and education a token economy can be useful to reinforce the behavior you want. Your parenting and modeling the behavior can help the child internalize the behavior as what should be done.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Pecodad said:
I am curious, what is your field of study. I understand you referrenced a book about the topic. But have you studied developmental psychology?
Yes, several years. My background is in Family Life Education, a degree that combines some neurobiology &amp; attachment theory, facilitation, group dynamics, lifespan and developmental psychology, etc.
I am also a certified instructor for the Gordon Institute, for the "parent effectiveness training", and a student at the Masters level in a similar field, for the next few years.
This being said, as you probably know, there are a lot of different school of thoughts in developmental psychology; there is still a heavy and influencing "old school" clan of behaviorists, who still think that only extrinsic locus of control are possible - despite the plethora of more recent research in psychology.

The book I referenced is a very exhaustive and powerfully presented 430 pages literature review on the topic of behavioral reinforcement and their recently discovered ill-effects. Over 100 pages - about one fouth of the entire book - are references and notes to bacl up the author's analysis. This is why I can hardly start to explain it all just in an email. It's a worthy read.

Pecodad said:
A token economy can be very useful at establishing behaviors.
Yes, it certainly can. I am not arguing this!
The point is:
a) How detrimental it is to the child on the long term?
b) Is "establishing behaviors" the only goal a parent should aim for?
c) How permanent and meaningful is a behavior change, when the underlying root motivation has not been addressed?

Pecodad said:
In a later post you indicated one rational for why it would be harmful. You mentioned the child creating an external locus of control instead of internalizing the behavior.
No, this not what I said. What I said was:
<I>It promotes external locus of control (motivation develops from the outside, not from the inside)</I>
You speak about <I>behavior</I>. I speak about <I>motivation</I>.

"internalizing the behavior" is how you are <I>reframing</I> what I said to fit it into the "behaviorist" conception of things, which is a false dichotomy.
I am saying that children can find their own internal motivations.
I am not saying that their "behaviors" would "internalize". To make it really clear: I am not talking about how a repeated behavior can become automatic because it becomes a "habit". I am talking about developing a <I>mental model</I> which allows a child to <I>purposely</I> decide <I>on his own</I> to do an action, because he feels and believe it is the right thing to do.

Pecodad said:
A token economy does not necessarily create an external locus of control or cause the child to externalize rationals for why certain behaviors are socially, culturally, or morally acceptable.
Whether you <I>internalize</I> these rationals or not, the point is that as long as these rationals are <I>externally imposed</I> through a reward system, they are not triggering a true, profound change. Worst: research has proved that children are more likely to act LESS a certain way if rewarded for it, when the conditions for the rewards are no longer around.
The more a child has been "motivated" through rewards, the less he becomes self-motivated on the long run. It's quite striking.

Pecodad said:
Infact, if we look at society we establish norms of acceptable behavior off of token systems.
This question alone has been investigated for decades by sociologists and I would dare to say, we are far from having any definitive answer about it. It's quite a claim you make here!

If you walk next to a well and suddenly a child yells and falls into the well, my guess is that (like 99% of the population) you will jump and try to save the child, <I>without even thinking about it</I>. Could you make the case that without a token system of reward, you would never have acquired the reflex to save that child? This question is explored in great detail by Varela, he calls this concept the "ethical-know-how", if you want to read about it. See: Varela, F. J. (1992). <I>Ethical Know-How: Action, Wisdom and Cognition</I>. California: Standford University Press.

Pecodad said:
From my research and education a token economy can be useful to reinforce the behavior you want.
Yes, it can.
But have you researched the long term consequences? Especially in the case of a systematic use, like the OP suggests?

Pecodad said:
Your parenting and modeling the behavior can help the child internalize the behavior as what should be done.
Again, here is the blind spot. You speak about "internalizing the behavior". Which is similar to training a dog: the "habit" kicks in and makes the behavior a "learned" behavior. But this is not what I am talking about.

As for modeling the behavior? Yes, modeling though parenting is one of the most powerful way we can teach children and help them grow and develop a set of ethical values.
But when we use a token economy at home as the main discipline and teaching technique, what are we <I>effectively</I> modeling? The parent controls the "bank" of token, so there is no modeling there. Is the parent also "saving" some "token" to allow them to watch TV? And if they do (which I highly doubt), what meaning doe sit has for the child anyway, since they hold the "bank"?
Because, yes, in the OP example, parents ARE modeling something: greed? control? Who ever has the money can do what they want? Which part of the desired behavior are they really modelling?

Last edited:

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Is the parent also "saving" some "token" to allow them to watch TV? And if they do (which I highly doubt), what meaning doe sit has for the child anyway, since they hold the "bank"?

We actually participate in this system as well. It helps us to get our own work done and stay focused on making better choices as parents. I think maybe that you've got the wrong idea about me, I am not trying to control my kids (it doesn't work). I am trying to teach my kids about how things work in the world and about responsibility. TV is not a dominant force in our home, in fact 9 times out of 10 the value of watching their show doesn't match the cost so they decide against it and find something better to do.

The bank is not the parents - the bank is the 'family' and the work we all do is for the benefit of the 'family' and not the parents - (a small but important distinction, I think).

We don't model greed but we are trying to get them to understand cost (time, money, behaviour).

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I believe you are a good parent. A parent who is trying to do what is best for there kids.

I think it is flawed logic to believe that you are in someway deliberately causing harm to your child. And to imply that a parent is less of a parent because they have not read every book or study that has been written is kinda rude.

I also feel that parenting is a dynamic occupation. And am unconvinced that there are any one size fits all programs or books who have the key to the mint for raising kids. We must be able to bob and weave. What has worked this year may be much less successful the next. Most of us have tried this thing, then that thing, ect.

I have not completely investigated the "Button Economy" but from what I am gathering it is a reward based system. Looks like you are seeing some success with it. I think many people have had some successes using these type of systems. Apparently it is good enough for the school system.

My mother used the swat you with the fly swatter system. She also had much success. I am not comparing the two. All I am saying is that not doing exactly the right thing. I doubt it will automatically ruin your children. And we must take into account our own personality whether or not to use a program or process.

I do not have any kind of degree in parenting. But I am one. I know what it is like to want the best for someone. What it is like to try different things. Not a big fan of using words like "compliance" or "controlling" "being the banker". But without a doubt that is sometimes what we are. I like to think of it more like "keeping things on track" "Watching the bottom line" or seeing the "Big picture" I think sometimes it is a necessary evil of being a parent. What separates us from friends. When we do these things absolutely the only vested interest is in their well being. Wanting their future quality of life to be the best it can.

I think as long as that is our goal. As our kids mature they hopefully will see the wisdom. Even in our mistakes.

Last edited:

PianoLover

PF Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2011
apochimongitus said:
Hi all,

I have 2 kids and I'm fairly new to this parenting forum (although not new to parenting :D). Our kids are 8 and 6 so we have all those things like, homework, chores and TV that compete for our kids time and interest. We have recently started doing a system of reward/consequence that has made this very easy in our house. It's called (removed by mom2many) and it has helped us heaps. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried a similar system and how it has worked/not worked for you.

Cheers,

A.
Hello :)

Personally I'm not sure of the approach of rewarding children for doing something we want them to do as research has shown that this will make them reluctant to do these things when there in no reward in place, see Alfie Kohn on this topic (one minute video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQesSzkZW4s

I don't want to rock any boats but I believe thess kinds of approach can shift focus from doing things for others out of altruism to doing things for others for some personal gain.

The best approach to take is to reason honestly with your children and explain why these things are important and what benefit you think they are of. If kids do not want to do chores call a family meeting and list all the things that need to be done for the family to work, don't forget to list all the housework mum and dad do and the that whoever goes out to work X hours a week to pay the mortgage or rent then get everyone to agree on what is a fair way to distribute all the work that needs to be done. If the children have had a hand in choosing which chores they are prepared to do you have the right to hold them to their end of the bargain.

Hope this is helpful please let me know what you think of this approach.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Alfie Kohn. just because you can write, does mean he is right. He is <U>preaching</U> no pats on the back, no good job buddy, no gold stars, no praise for doing the right thing. Sharing a toy, helping another kid, getting a good grade.

I could not do that with my kids. And feel sorry for the kids who are effected by that.

The best approach to take is to reason honestly with your children and explain why these things are important and what benefit you think they are of. If kids do not want to do chores call a family meeting and list all the things that need to be done for the family to work, don't forget to list all the housework mum and dad do and the that whoever goes out to work X hours a week to pay the mortgage or rent then get everyone to agree on what is a fair way to distribute all the work that needs to be done. If the children have had a hand in choosing which chores they are prepared to do you have the right to hold them to their end of the bargain.
I dont disagree with this. But I am open to other best approaches. Again families are not all the same. Not everyone responds the same way to the same approaches. We have to sometimes search and find what works for us. Our specific family, our unique children, and our environment.

Its just my opinion

I do disagree with someone stating this !, is how to raise your kids. And if you dont do it my way your screwing them up.

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for your input piano lover.

Children have no concrete way of understanding what it takes to understand the efforts that go into raising a family. They find out like most of us did and that is when the rubber hits the road and we start having families of our own (with sometimes disastrous effects). Using the button economy (not saying this is the only valid method) we hope to teach our kids, in a measurable way, what effort goes in to keeping the house running. I've sat down with my kids in the past and tried to explain and the poor things get this glazed look in their eyes... Trading buttons is a fun way to teach these principles to our kids (in my opinion) and it works very well (also in my opinion).

Regarding the youtube vid; We don't praise our kids for having a good attitude. We believe that our kids should feel their own feelings (happy or sad) and do their chores anyway. Knowing that they will earn (i use the word earn deliberately as the buttons are not bribes and we have strong rules about that) buttons for consistently doing their work, they are happier to do their housework/homework.

It has been mentioned previously that the parents hold the balance of power in this system. Sure we set prices for things and 'operate' the bank but our kids are free to 'ping' us a button if we leave something out and they put it away (it works both ways). If they spot us watching the TV, they can ask us if we've paid too... it's just a gentle reminder for all of us in the house to ask ourselves if there is something better we can be doing with our time.

There is much less emotional angst in our house since we have been using buttons.

PianoLover

PF Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2011
bssage said:
Alfie Kohn. just because you can write, does mean he is right. He is <U>preaching</U> no pats on the back, no good job buddy, no gold stars, no praise for doing the right thing. Sharing a toy, helping another kid, getting a good grade.
Hello Bssage thanks for replying and your views!
I think there is a distinction that Alfie Kohn could make but doesn't in this instance between genuine praise (encouragement) and praise as a reward to encourage behaviours
When I'm teaching the kids that come over for piano lessons I give them plenty of "good jobs" and what I call encouragement to let them know they're on the right track and help them keep confident! "That was better, I know you didn't quite get the melody there but the rhythm was right"

The important distinction is that I am encouraging them in general, I am not "rewarding" them in the way one might train an pet to do the right thing with a treat!

Hope this helps :)

PianoLover

PF Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2011
apochimongitus said:
Thanks for your input piano lover.

Children have no concrete way of understanding what it takes to understand the efforts that go into raising a family. They find out like most of us did and that is when the rubber hits the road and we start having families of our own (with sometimes disastrous effects). Using the button economy (not saying this is the only valid method) we hope to teach our kids, in a measurable way, what effort goes in to keeping the house running. I've sat down with my kids in the past and tried to explain and the poor things get this glazed look in their eyes... Trading buttons is a fun way to teach these principles to our kids (in my opinion) and it works very well (also in my opinion).

Regarding the youtube vid; We don't praise our kids for having a good attitude. We believe that our kids should feel their own feelings (happy or sad) and do their chores anyway. Knowing that they will earn (i use the word earn deliberately as the buttons are not bribes and we have strong rules about that) buttons for consistently doing their work, they are happier to do their housework/homework.

It has been mentioned previously that the parents hold the balance of power in this system. Sure we set prices for things and 'operate' the bank but our kids are free to 'ping' us a button if we leave something out and they put it away (it works both ways). If they spot us watching the TV, they can ask us if we've paid too... it's just a gentle reminder for all of us in the house to ask ourselves if there is something better we can be doing with our time.

There is much less emotional angst in our house since we have been using buttons.
thankyou it sounds like you have a very balanced approach

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
bssage said:
bssage, have you taken the time to read one of Kohn's book?
What we say to a child and how they develop because of it is subtle, yet powerful stuff.

The key here is to think of the aim. Alfie Kohn makes the case by asking this question: how can I, as a parent, help my child ask <I>himself</I> if he did a good job, and <I>self-evaluate</I> rather than depend on me to decide if he did or did not do a good job?

It certainly is not about denying children a praise.
It's more about <I>how</I> you do the praise, and in <I>what intent.</I>
A praise because you are proud of your son and you express it is great!
A praise because you are trying to push your child to reproduce a behavior is a behavioral training.

Take a "gold star" rewards. Seriously! It's a sticker with a shiny color. When we think of it, it's meaningless! Yet using this as an incentive is to tell the child that his work and effort is worth <I>that?
</I>What we want is for the child to think for himself: "Have I done a good job? What do *I* think about it?" so that they self-motivate to push themselves and become autonomous in<I> evaluating their own worth </I>(which is the basis of a solid self-esteem).

bssage said:
I do disagree with someone stating this is how to raise your kids, and if you don't do it my way your screwing them up.
Just to be clear, are you saying nothing a parent can do can be detrimental to a child development?

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
apochimongitus said:
Children have no concrete way of understanding what it takes to understand the efforts that go into raising a family.
To be more accurate, NOBODY truly understand how difficult it is to raise a family until they become a parent - and this is true whether you are a child or an adult. This being said, children are brilliant and if you take the time to explain, and involve them in the process of choosing their tasks, they will understand enough of it to participate willingly.

apochimongitus said:
Trading buttons is a fun way to teach these principles to our kids (in my opinion) and it works very well (also in my opinion).
I am not against using a token economy for some specific things, because of the great benefits (such as math skills, learning to save, understanding the concept of trade, etc) it can bring. But using this a systematic child rearing technique, and <I>especially</I> tying it to discipline, has it's detrimental effects on the long run. This being said, hey, it's your family. I can only give you the information. It's your choice.

apochimongitus said:
Regarding the youtube vid; We don't praise our kids for having a good attitude.
Well, you <I>do</I> use the "red button" as a way to discipline a child when you want to punish them, and that include not having a "good attitude" no?
Punishment for non-good attitude, or reward for good attitude, it's all the same: it has exactly the same effect. 2 sides of the same coin.

apochimongitus said:
Knowing that they will earn (i use the word earn deliberately as the buttons are not bribes and we have strong rules about that) buttons for consistently doing their work, they are happier to do their housework/homework.
:confused: they are not bribe? What makes you think so? How do you define "bribe" then?

apochimongitus said:
It has been mentioned previously that the parents hold the balance of power in this system. If they spot us watching the TV, they can ask us if we've paid too...
Oh? And what happens then? Did you? If so, who gave you your own "buttons" then? What prevents you from having unlimited buttons? How does it forces you to restrict your own TV time?

apochimongitus said:
Granted, I don't doubt it. Bribes and reward as a child rearing system *works*, when the objective is to have obedience and control. The question is, is that the only objective?