Son came home and decided to join the rodeo team. I'm really worried about his safety...

Helen1965

Sep 15, 2010
Dallas, Texas
So my 22 year old son Blake, came back home here to Dallas for a visit from Texas Tech the other week. I was in total disbelief when I saw what he was wearing when he stepped out of his truck. He had on this black and white plaid button up western style long sleeved shirt with the snap buttons tucked into a pair of Wrangler jeans (the ones with the brown patch label on the back pocket) and a pair of cowboy boots on. He's never tucked his shirt in before. On top of that he had a thick western belt on with one of those big buckles on too. Then before he shut the door of the truck, he grabbed a black Stetson hat off the passenger seat and put it on. He even had one of those big tall wallets a lot of cowboys seem to have. I couldn't believe this was my baby I was looking at. He was clean shaven for once, had a short haircut finally (although it looked like a military haircut it was so short), and had this really nice smelling cologne on all of a sudden. He even called me ma'am, and shook his fathers hand before he hugged him. I was dumbfounded. This is a kid who used to dress in scruffy jeans or shorts and the first t-shirt he grabbed out of his closet. I was so happy to see him, that I said nothing about what he was wearing and helped him take his things in the house.

His father and I asked him later though what was with the sudden wardrobe change. Come to find out, our son has gone and joined the rodeo club / team at Texas Tech, and that he went out and bought a whole western wardrobe from Boot Barn and Cavenders, as well as a couple of other pairs of cowboy boots, and chaps for rodeo. He says he feels comfortable dressing like this, and is going to continue to dress this way, and that a lot of the girls at his college like him dressed like that. This is a complete shock to me, I mean I know we live in Texas, but I still can't comprehend my 22 year old dressing like a cowboy, he never showed interest in anything like this before. The only thing remotely close to all this is that he's always been a sucker for country music though. His major is in Petroleum Engineering, but he's joined the rodeo team? I don't understand. I'm am so scared he's going to get hurt. All he could say was "Mom I love you, but please don't worry, I like what I'm doing and for once I'm happy, and I wan't you to come see me at a rodeo, so you can see what I do and sleep easier".

So we went out to Lubbock the other day and watched what he did in the rodeo. I was in disbelief, my son was actually riding a horse, roping, etc, and even rode one of the bulls. For just starting out, he was really good at it. We tried to go congratulate him and everything, but a couple of these girls beat us to him and started swooning around Blake flirting with him, and he was all smiling and posing for pictures in all his rodeo gear with them. I suppose this might help his social life, since he's always been pretty quiet and shy. He seems really happy doing it, but I'm not sure if I can stop worrying about his safety now. My husband is saying I'm worrying to much about him and that if this is what he wants to do for fun and to keep himself out of trouble, we need to support him 100 percent. I just don't know, I never figured my son being into rodeo of all things. I'm worried he is going to get hurt participating in these rodeos. I mean, I know he's 22 and I should really start letting go of him more, but it's really hard for me. He may be 22 and a grown man now, and he's matured a lot since he's been at college, but he's always going to my first born baby boy in my eyes.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Your his mom, you are always going to worry, if it wasn't a rodeo I am sure he would find something else.

Boys....sheesh, they love to give their momma's heart attacks!

He's grown mom, support him and hope for the best.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
It's funny, before I even got to the third paragraph, I knew my first question was going to be "What's her name..." girls can have a strange power to influence a young man's actions. ;-)

Be happy he's having fun and passionate about something. Love him, keep telling him you're concerned, he know's that, you're his mom, so it's your right and priviledge to keep worrying about him, but be happy also that he's happy.

Helen1965

Sep 15, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Oh, I do support him. He's really happy with what he's doing. It's just I still have a tendency to worry about him, and honestly I have a feeling he is doing it for the girls ;) I just don't want him to end up getting injured really bad, and I definitely don't want it to go to his head and get in the way of his schoolwork.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
haha thats pretty sick. i love western clothes but i dont have the balls to where it where i live..except the boots. who doesnt like cowboy boots man
thats pretty excitin for him...gettin into a new hobby. he'll be fine momma

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
As long as it makes him happy support him all the way and he's doing well so it's not a bad thing.