Son Gets Sunburn, Father Charged With Abuse...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
BEREA, Ky. -- Police have charged a man with abuse after his 2-year-old son was sunburned.

According to police, Bobby Jones, 27, left his son in the sun for 90 minutes without any sunscreen.

"When you've got a fair-haired kid out there with no shirt on, it's not going to take very long for that child to basically get roasted," said Berea Police Capt. Ken Clark.
Jones was charged with criminal abuse. Police said he didn’t take adequate care to protect the boy's welfare.

Doctors said the boy had second- and third-degree burns. "Just looking at these pictures makes me cringe," said Clark.

The child’s mother reported the burns after she picked him up.

Son Gets Sunburn, Father Charged With Abuse - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
jesus, 3rd degree burns from being in the sun for 90 minutes??
Poor kiddo. :(

I'm hoping there's more to the story than him getting changed with abuse for an accidental sunburn.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think it's sad but I think that's a harsh charge even for a bad sunburn. I hope he fights it. Sounds like a bad divorce issue to me.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
that's a pretty serious burn, though. How does that happen w/o you realizing there is something wrong? THIRD DEGREE BURNS???? My first summer as a lifeguard, I burned so bad the first week that the top of my nose would bleed if touched because it was so burnt (and remained that way all summer).. my shoulders looked like elastic was run through them the way they puckered along the suit lines. It was horrible - but even they weren't 3rd degree. If this kid was burnt even worse than I was, there's something more to this story

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I'm confused...am I understanding this right? the fact that the mother reported it when she picked him up is a red flag? A child suffers THIRD DEGREE BURNS and the mother is the problem?
You know what? I get my son and he's burnt that badly, you'd better BELEIVE that I am going to be reporting it. It has nothing to do with vindictiveness, it is a matter of neglect. How much attention are you paying to this small child if you don't see what is happening? Purple skins? Chills? how do you not see this?
The DA obviously doesn't see this as a case of pettiness on the mother's part. I am surprised that people don't think this is a problem...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I don't remember anyone saying the mother was being vindictive....I think it says a lot that mother reported it and the father didn't see a problem. It says a lot about both parents but nobody said the mother was wrong

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I'm not saying the father is completely innocent in the whole ordeal, but it would be very interesting to hear the WHOLE story. Unfortunately cases of bloody custody battles (where one party abuses the system to get back at the other) are becoming way too common place these days. It's sickening.

Perhaps the father was completely neglectful - perhaps he sent the kiddo out to play and didn't supervise.... or perhaps he didn't even realize... I know that GW can go outside and end up as red as a lobster and you can't even tell until later in the day.

Truely there is no way to really know and I don't trust that all DA offices always have the best judgement or all the facts.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
HappyMomma said:
I know that GW can go outside and end up as red as a lobster and you can't even tell until later in the day.
I'm like that and so are Aaron and Lily. We are all so pale that I have to watch them closely in the summer time. I went to the lake with a friend of mine while the ex had the kids last summer and I got so fried. I didn't even know it was so bad until I got home and sat down, I couldn't get up my skin hurt so bad. I was so tired that I kept falling asleep and when I finally did get up one spot on my leg hurt so bad and it was purpleish so I went to the doc. He said it was just a really, really bad sunburn and to take a couple days to recover, stay out of the sun ect. I used to get so sunburned as a kid I would get huge blisters all over my body.

I think the charge for the dad is a bit much, some people just burn easier than others and although it suck and is really dangerous, its not neglect. But then again 3rd degree burns is pretty horrible...so I don't know.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
They only took a picture of his arm where there was a burn I know it patches like that because my sister who has red hair and freckles got a 3rd degree when we were farming. Though his looked different than hers and my sister burned even more than just her arm. I wonder why they only took pic of his arm? and why wasnt the rest of him as red as my sister was?
The story seems not all together.