Son Likes Villians...

Kohnwood

Jan 29, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've notice that many children, especially boys go from wanting to be the hero to the villain when they get older. At Halloween I see that the older kids want to be scary costumes while the little ones want to be hero roles.

Anyway, my 6 year old loves to say he likes the bad guys. We watched Star Wars and he was rooting for Darth Vader. This really concerns me because it seems that no one ever wants Darth Vader to win. Being only 6 this seems inappropriate to me. I tried to explain how bad Darth Vader but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I would sya this is probably normal. He is six, and I am pretty sure in time he will see the sense in your words. I know my son always had a dillema because he thought bad guys were "cooler" but good guys were "more right" (I used to love it when he said that). If he keeps thinking this I might want to have a more serious talk, but I would not worry for now.

Good luck!

Illumination

Jan 28, 2008
I definitely don't think you have anything to worry about. 6-year-olds who love villains? That seems very normal to me. There always seem to be more Darth Vaders trick-or-treating than Anakins (or Lukes, or Han Solos, etc.) If he likes Darth Vader, he likes Darth Vader! If he's still dressing up as Darth Vader by the time he's twenty-five, you might have reason to worry. ;)
But then again, maybe not!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don't have a son, but I do have nephews, the older ones do like the villians to. The little ones do not yet. I would say it is normal. I remember when I was little (grew up with 5 brothers) they would play GI Joe while I played with my animal family dollhouse. Well they would kidnap my babies an dput guns in their little hands and then tell me that they were recruited to kill things. So yes bad guys are everywhere!! lol

Kohnwood

Jan 29, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks to everyone for replying. That makes me feel better. My older son never did that so I got worried.

He said "But Darth Vader is cooler".

I agree that if he is still dressing up like Darth Vader at 25 then we might have a problem! LOL!

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
Well todays society glorifies violence. While people say it is wrong look at movies and tv it is everywhere. I say do not worry unless he is bullying kids like darth vader lololol.

WorriedDadinUT

Jan 24, 2008
Utah
I wouldn't worry a whole lot I am a die hard Star Wars fan, I remember as a kid the feeling Darth Vader gave me as a kid, (he still is my favorite:) ) Anyway for me it was about this mysterious individual who we knew almost nothing about, now that I am older with my own daughter Darth Vader to me represents what most of us actually are, the real us buried behind a mask. However as long as you explain to him that what Darth Vader does is bad then you won't have cause to worry, besides he does redeem himself in the end.