Soo.....

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
I know I'm new here... so no one knows but I was adopted.
I was just a few days old so I don't remember anything of course.
My family was my family.. My Mom was my Mom and my Dad was my Dad.. I grew up with 3 crazy older brothers as well.

Well, to catch you all up.. My mom died in 2000 after a 5 year fight with breast cancer and my oldest brother died in 2001 after a sudden heart attack (he was only 41).

Well, after I had the girls in '93, I secretly contacted the lawyer that was involved in my adoption to find out who my 'birth mother' was. Shockingly, it only took one phone call and they gave me info. I called her mother (maternal grandma) first and she gave me the number for my birth mother.
We talked back then and she got a little too wanting to have a motherly relationship with me.. kinda weirded me out.. so admittedly, I kind of cut ties at at time. I had a mother.. one who would be devastated if she ever found out I looked her up.

Long story short.. years after my mother had passed away I tried to look her up again. No luck. I thought.. maybe if I google the last name.. I know I had 2 half brothers.. Sure enough.. I found one of them on facebook. Oddly enough he was in Iraq and actually answered my comment and gave me her info.

Anyway.. longer story short, she and her husband drove up from FL to see us (and others in the area) this weekend. We had a BBQ with her yesterday and it was nice. They are good people. She was happy to be here and gave me a lot of genetic type info.

I didn't think I looked anything like her.. but my husband told me later he could see some likeness in different ways.

I didn't get the camera out, but kinda dug around tonight to see if I could see it.. Check this out..

Here is a pic of her now

Here is a pic of me now

Nothing alike in my mind.. but look at this

Pic of her

Pic of me around the same age

There I can see it!

Anyway.. it was nice but she'll never be my mom. My mother was my best friend and is still my hero.. I appreciate so much that she gave me life, and love that we've caught up with one another... but not my Mom.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Wow definitely a resemblance...I too share a similar history to yours, I have one birth sister who could pass for my twin (although many years younger), also it's not hard to tell the similarities between me and my birthmother.

I love old photos, thanks for sharing.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I see a resemblance as well. Mouth and nose mostly.

I think its great that you are trying ot have a relationship with your birth mom. Even if you don't want a mother/daughter relationship.

I can relate there though. My birth mom abandoned me when I was 12 (she was gone before then technically, but that is when I officially moved out) I didn't talk to her again till my 20's. Even now that we talk almost weekly if not more, she is not my mom any more. My mom is my step mom that took care of me and was there for me. SHe is my mother. BUT I still talk to my birth mom and we do have a good relationship now. Its just not mom/dd one ya know?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
wow...I think you 2 look exactly alike.

I'm glad you had a good time with her. I can only imagine what it must have been like for you.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I am so happy that you were able to locate your first mom! Thank you for sharing, and yes, you do look like her I think :)

Hope you can join us if you ever need any adoption-related advice or feedback :)

Adoption Threads