Soon-to-be Bonus Mom needs advice...

NewBonusMom

Jan 18, 2008
Texas
Hi...I'm a soon-to-be bonus mom (I prefer the term to "stepmother") and I'm here for advice and chat with other bonus moms or people in blended families.

I meet my fiance's kids for the first time on Sunday. Eeeeeeek!

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
There are a few others here that have children in that age range. One of our other two forum moderators (Kaytee) lives in Texas. Fallon is the other moderator and she has a daughter that is 5 (I think).

NewBonusMom

Jan 18, 2008
Texas
jtee said:
There are a few others here that have children in that age range. One of our other two forum moderators (Kaytee) lives in Texas. Fallon is the other moderator and she has a daughter that is 5 (I think).
Cool. I'm sure I'll be asking all kinds of dumb questions. My fiance giggles at my naive questions. :veryconfused:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
WELCOME! There is no such thing as a dumb question, especially when concerning parenting. ;)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
it doesn't sound so bad that way...step parent seems to have a nasty stigma attached to it

NewBonusMom

Jan 18, 2008
Texas
fallon said:
it doesn't sound so bad that way...step parent seems to have a nasty stigma attached to it
That was exactly my thinking. :D

Apparently the girls really like the movie "Cinderella" so maybe they'd freak out if I was referred to as their "stepmother". Right now I'm going to be "daddy's special friend" but I'll be a bona fide "bonusmom" soon.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
NewBonusMom said:
That was exactly my thinking. :D

Apparently the girls really like the movie "Cinderella" so maybe they'd freak out if I was referred to as their "stepmother". Right now I'm going to be "daddy's special friend" but I'll be a bona fide "bonusmom" soon.
good luck with the first meeting, I hope everything goes well for all of you. Girls that age are a lot of fun :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
do you guys have something special planned for your first meeting? Kids that age will take to you quickly if you are fun and ready to play. Have dad give you a quick over view of their favorite things (barbie, ponys, movies foods) and ask the girls about those things, be interested and smile a lot. come down to their level and don't push, they will open up to you (as long as they are ok with a women in dads life)

NewBonusMom

Jan 18, 2008
Texas
fallon said:
do you guys have something special planned for your first meeting? Kids that age will take to you quickly if you are fun and ready to play. Have dad give you a quick over view of their favorite things (barbie, ponys, movies foods) and ask the girls about those things, be interested and smile a lot. come down to their level and don't push, they will open up to you (as long as they are ok with a women in dads life)
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind. It's my fiance's nephew's birthday party on Sunday, so there will be lots of people around; hopefully that will help!

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I love your postive energy. Fallon suggestion are GREAT I totally agree. I am a "bonusmom" of 4yo girl. I keep hoping that WOW will catch on. At her 3rd b day party they made me a mom badge to wear. I'm not mom so I just wore it upside down. Instant Wow.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have three children and I also have a 16 yr old step son who's the sweetest. :) It's fun being a step mom.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well congrats on the upcoming wedding and congrats on getting 2 bonus children!
I'm in the dallas area as well, but only one daughter who just turned 2. I am from a large blended family though!! I have 4 step brothers

NewBonusMom

Jan 18, 2008
Texas
Hi y'all...I met his kids on Sunday and I think it went pretty well. We went to his nephew's fourth birthday party at one of those places that has pizza and video games.

I think it was a good environment to meet in because the kids were nice and distracted by the environment...so they saw me and got sort of used to me but they mostly played and went crazy. Afterwards we went to his sister's house and I got a chance to play with the kids on their level. I'm seeing them again on Saturday...will let y'all know how that goes. :)

PreSchool Mama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008
Hey Bonus Mom (love that moniker!),

Glad it all went well at the Big Meeting. Kids that age are more into fun and playing, than getting worked up over relationships. Anybody who can talk to them at their level, and engage with them is on their buddy list. :)

You seem to be a fantastic bonus mom. They're lucky to have someone who's making such an effort to get to know them better! :)

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
Hey bonusmom...any questions you got, I've probably gone through the same thing you will or have!!! Stepmom to 10 yr old and have been involved in his life since he was 6...there's a lot of adjustments but even when it seems hard, it's mostly fun ;-)