Sorry to post ANOTHER thread, but I think her speech is behind......

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
17 months and the only thing I know of her saying is purple. Maybe she talks in her sleep. But I doubt it because we share a bed. I'm doing what all of the books I've read say to do. Talking in simple sentences and announcing the names of different things to her, etc... nothing. well, I'm worried, because she should be further than this by now, I'd think. But then again, my sister didn't speak until she was almost three and at that time she spoke full sentences. Well, should I be worried? Is there something I'm missing, here?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Don't worry about it. Nothing you posted would be consider abnormal.

I know how you feel. I have the same problem with my 16 month old. He just 'mmm' whenever he wants something. We go to play dates and his peers are talking alittle. Most say mom and thats about it. I think that he will talk when he is ready tho. Just the same with your daughter.:cute:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
They catch up and then you won't be able to shut her up. It's normal to have all your worries. Granted I was 27 when I had my first but they came fast and I was all alone. So I had a 13 month old and twin newborns. I was scared as hell and totally alone.
Many many sleepless night. I had PPD which I recieved help for. That was a scary place for me and I can see where it could get dangerous.
You just do the best you can with what you have. Your daughter doesn't have to have a super parent. They just need love, food and shelter everything else is extra.
You need to watch that movie "I am Sam" it will lift you up. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think your daughter will catch up at her own pace...the fact that she says purple leads me to believe she will just start talking up a storm soon enough

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
Thanks for the link, that's helpful. Yepp, haha, I kinda hoped for something like "daddy" or something like that, nope... purple. Of course it sounds more like pwipolh that's kind of hard to sound out. Hmm.

parentinzen

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
Purple is a big word! I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure she will start talking soon. Especially if your sister didn't talk until later, I wouldn't think anything is wrong. Just keep doing what you are doing, and eventually she will want to speak. :)
-Amy
http://www.parentingzen.com