Spanking Children...

civilized

Jan 19, 2008
I'm only 21 and just became a daddy, but I say there is no point in physical violence as discipline. Yes it works for the moment but not in the long run. My dad spanked me all the time with a belt and now that i'm all grown up I do love my dad and were good friends but there is a lack of respect. I agree completely NaNaJennifer, my mom has never laid a hand on me or any of her 4 kids were now 16,21,26, and 29 and all still afraid of upsetting her out of respect but yeah like Jennifer said don't spank your children

civilized

Jan 19, 2008
CJ's mom said:
Spanking is "physical violence?"...yea you ARE still young!!!
Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing...

Spanking - A number of slaps on the bare buttocks delivered in rapid succession, as for punishment.

you can find that in the dictionary and I think spanking falls under that category in all honesty sounds physical and violent to me

CJ's mom

PF Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008
Connecticut
Wow, I didnt know spanking was only done on the Buttocks...I've spanked their hands plenty without being "violent"....bad dictionary editing! LOL...

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
CJ's mom said:
Spanking is "physical violence?"...yea you ARE still young!!!

I'm 46 1/2.....hitting another person is physical violence, no matter what name you give it.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I dont like it. if you would not hit a co worker or employee when they do not do what you want why do it to your child? The one time I did this it was out of anger. I felt like I was going to throw up afterward and cried as much as the kid. Then kind of spoilt her to make it up. So it sent a totally mixed message.
I find it interesting that some of those on the board who are 100 percent in favor of this are also sarcastic about other methods. Why would anyone be this way if they were not felling a bit defensive?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
This will be interesting lets list all the forms of discipline you have heard of and what you do.
Send to room
Write an essay
spanking
talking and verbal apology
standing in the corner
push ups
jumping jacks
sit ups
taking away toys
taking them to the sheriffs dept (if they stole)
taking them to the store to return and item.
Do chores

That's all I can think off, what do ya'll have?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Well, our discipline tactics are usually situational....the consequence relates directly to the misbehaviour in some way whenever possible.

Leave toys out.....those toys disappear for a day or two, and for longer each time they are left out.

Don't put clothes in hamper....clothes don't get washed.

Don't do chores....don't leave the house until they get done, except to go to school.

Break curfew....curfew gets cut back half an hour the next time you go out.

Stealing....return item, apologize in writing, and then write an essay on how stealing impacts others.

Lying....written apology and essay.

Chores or homework not done because of television or computer....lose television or computer privileges.

Grades lower than a C....you need more study time, so you have less social time until next report card/progress report.

There have been more, over 22 yrs of parenting, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have found that the discipline changes as their age changes. Do you think that as well? It's constantly learning as they learn. The fun of parenting.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Yes, I agree, especially with our method. Consequences have to be age appropriate as well as behaviour related.

MammaOf4

Jan 18, 2008
Dallas TX
I don't spank my kids anymore but I have and I don't object to it. I think It depends on the child and the actions of the child. I was spanked as a child quite often, that was our only source of punishment. I don't feel it affected me in any negative way. I don't feel resentment or anything towards my father. It was their choice as parents.
I used to spank my children but i don't anymore not because I think it's wrong but Because it just doesn't work. My 9 year old son would be more upset by losing his xbox 360 time or his TV time, My 10 year old daughter loses her cell phone, My two youngest get time outs and extra chores. I know what gets to my children so that is what works for our family.

I don't think spanking is physical abuse, but that is just my opinion. When I have given my children spankings in the past, I talked with them to make sure they knew what they were being punished for, and talked with them afterwards to let them know that I don't enjoy spanking them and explained to them that when they misbehave they get punished for their actions.

Every parent has a right to make their own choices. JMO

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I don't spank my kids anymore because honestly it didn't work. Time out chair has been the main form of discipline in our house and it works. They hate that chair and do everything they can to not be in it.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
twistertiger said:
spanking children will only get them mad at you. give them positive reinforcment. dont abuse and hurt your children. it will just make them hurt inside and out.:arghh:
honestly lots of things that we will do as parents will make them mad at us.

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
fallon said:
honestly lots of things that we will do as parents will make them mad at us.
yes and we should try to steer a way from making them mad within reason. for example if they want new shoes and you just bought them some then you can turn them down which will make them mad. but you have to tell them why you did that.