speech development of 3 year old...

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
i recently wrote an article concerning my 3 year old son and no one really responded so im writing again, im trying to get him into a headstart program at our local schools and it would be easier to get him in if i could prove he has a speech impairment, but i dont know about how to prove it, i made an ENT appt a few months back and they say his hearing is fine so thats not it but i really feel he would need speech, on the application for school it asks if he has been diagnosed with a speech impairment and what was his IEP (individual education plan) i never heard of that,, im just tryin to find out more information, i have an appt with his pediatrician to get evaluated,, i think thats a start, but i dont know where to go from there,, can someone please help ??

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay, what makes you think he is having speech problems? Have you talked to his doctor about it?

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
well there isnt too many words you is speaking, he doesn't say sentences, and certain things he can't pronounce, like motorbike, he says brobrike, if i make his split the words, motor bike, then it sounds a lil better but he will go back to saying it brobrike, when he says daddy, he says daeeee, we have a dog named rosco, he says soso, this is the big one we are tryin to correct, if he says im hungry, it sounds like im horney, and we can't fix that word,, if he says lizzard, he says gogot, i dont know where he gets that from either, and when you try and correct him, he says it the same way everytime, i've tried everything, i dont know what else to do, im readin up on an Early Steps Program in my area designed to help children with speech delays, but i need a refferal, i guess from his peds doc, i called a speech therapist and they said i need work orders from his peds doctor, so i have an appt next week to get more advise

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
sounds like he may have speech problems, but they are right he needs to go through thte ped first. Glad to hear he has an appintment soon.
Start there, your ped will advise you where to go next.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I'd say the speech therapist appt, is a good place to start. I was asked to help a young girl with her speech, in tandem with a ST, I basically taught he to sing. Her issue was pronunciation, she was 6 at the time.

After about 6 months, she was speaking beautifully.

She made me a CD I will cherish forever, where all she says is one word, the word we had the hardest time with:

Cathedral

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
Hi. I just went through this with my son. Thankfully he went through a speech explosion and is really catching up.

So, with me.. I went to the ped first. They scheduled an evaluation for him. 2 ladies came to the house, one was to evaluate speech and the other behavior. Didn't ask for the behavior eval, they just come as the evaluation package. With our program here in IL, if the results conclude that the child is more than 15% behind the avg - they will qualify for the (mostly) state funded speech therapy. If not, and you still think the child needs therapy there are private therapists out there. My son didn't qualify .. they told me we would see a huge progression from him shortly (he was right on the edge), and we did. My friend's daughter does qualify.. in her case a speech therapist comes to her house 2x a month and works with her daughter.. they are seeing nice progress.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
My daughter had a slight speech impairment at 3 yrs. old too. When she was evaluated they said it wasn't bad enough to need therapy. I never did understand what that meant. Anyway, they also told me alot of letter's she didn't pronounce right was developmental. Meaning she wouldn't develop those sounds until 1st or 2nd grade. I know one was the "L", she pronounced it as a "y". Anyway, she is 9 yrs. old now and speaks fine. I would definitely start with your doc though.

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
the first thing i did was get his hearing tested but the ENT said it was fine, i spoke to a speech therapist and she said i need doctors orders before i can make the appt, so thats what i did, then i reserched state programs in our area and found Early Steps which is for under 3, but the lady i spoke with was very helpful, she told me that over 3 of age goes through the school, so i spoke with them and because its the end of school year they wont do testin untill july or aug, then if he qualifies for speech development a theripist will come to our house 2-3 times a week, i told her i would rather him in school and she said yes he would probably quilify regardless of our income cuz of the speech impairment,, so on the application for head start put that he is in the process of Early Steps program,,, wow, i been online and on the phone all day today and yesterday,, sad thing is , im his stepmother, but im just thankful my son will finally get the help he needs,, thanks everyone for replying, yall really helped alot

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
ooh i am having the exact same problem and my child is three too.

I had to first take her to the peditrician. There they recommended places to go. She had her hearing tested it was fine.
The school is out so we have to wait till fall for an IEP. So we now have to take her to a mental psychologist to get a diagnoses without the IEP so we do not have three months to get help.
I am suppost to enroll her in some infant learning program that will help and sign up for TEFRA ( a way to get medicaid based on mental need instead of income through welfare). We are also working on eye contact, flash cards and sign language. i have even got a CD that is fun for my child that is mouth excerscizes to music i do with her and she thinks is funny and fun. I fyou would like to check it out its called speechercise. Its not made her speach clearer yet but then i atleast know she has the muscles capbility for speach when or if the brain ever decided to regnize it. :)
Please keep me informed with what you find out and I will do the same.