Standerdized testing... in Kindergarten???...

When do you think standerdized testing should start?...

• Nursery/Preschool...

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • You should need to take a standerdized test to enter school...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The first year of formal schooling...

• Not until 3rd grade...

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Not until Middleschool/Secondary school...

• Total voters

buddylovebabi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2011
Mighigan
Well, I work in a Kindergarten (I know there are a lot of UK users on here, but I have no idea if you guys have kindergarten, it's basically the first primary school year, before 1st grade) Anyway, these kids are 5-6 years old, and they have to prepare for standerdized testing!! They don't fill in bubbles like other students though, they are orally gven a question and have to answer a certain way in an allotted time. I for one, never took a standerdized test until I was in about 4th grade. And I'm only 20, so it hasn't been that long!!

Is it ok for 5 year olds to take standerdized testing? I just couldn't beleive it when I found out!

buddylovebabi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2011
Mighigan
and apperently it has something to do with the no child left behind thing in America, but I really don't know much about that and would rather not get into that topic in this chat.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
There are several issues here: standardized testing, the format of tests, and high stakes testing.

I don't have a problem with the idea of standardizing assessment. There needs to be some sort of standardization. To give an example, I went to a private school and my gpa might have been lower than students at the local public school, but when it came time to take the ACT, my scores were in the top 6 percent of my state, in the top 8 percent of the nation, but only in the top 15 percent of my school. That meant that I scored higher than just about everybody at that public school, but lower than 15% of my classmates, yet my gpa was lower than people at the public school who scored much lower than I did on the ACT. That's because the expectations at my school were higher. So if everything depended on gpa and there were no standardized testing, I wouldn't be accepted into higher learning while people in the public school would.

But the real purpose of standardized testing is to test the education is because of No Child Left Behind, to make sure that students in schools around the country are not being left behind with regards to the standards.

The problem is that these sorts of tests are objective, and therefore often arbitrary.

The other problem is when these are high stakes. I certainly don't think any kindergarten child should have to take any high stakes tests. They should be held to certain standards and should not be moved into the next level unless they can demonstrate the benchmarks because that wouldn't be fair to them, but that can be anecdotal.

I'm not familiar with the sorts of tests given in kindergarten, but I can envision tests designed to help teachers determine if the children can demonstrate the skills and knowledge they will need to succeed on the next level. I hope the tests are designed that way, but I don't have a lot of faith that they are, because they end up being a "test" of teachers.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Here (england and wales) standardised tests you take at school are
We don't have Kindergarten here, we start school at four, but we do have optional nursery school which is mainly popular amongst those who rely on childcare, it's skills based, so improving speech, cutlery use etc, it isn't academic education based.

S.A.T.S when the student is 9/10
CATS when the student is 11 (Lincolnshire only to test self ability, e.g. solving simple problems, more of an IQ test really)
S.A.T.S when the student is 12/13
GCSE's when the student is 15/16 (enable entry to college/sixth form)

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
The only standardized test my child has had so far (2nd grad) is reading. The results show how many words she read per minute and how accurately she comprehended the content. Also, there are some signs to indicate whether or not she has developed a certain skill. It by no means gives a relative standing of my child among her peers.

I heard that schools in my neighboring areas give national percentiles in report cards beginning at kindergarten.

I support the idea of testing kids on basic skills such as reading early on. As long as there is no relative grading, I see no harm in it. However, I would oppose if the schools ranked the kids and gave out the national percentile. That will fuel the unnecessary anxiety and competition among the parents more than among the kids.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I don't have an issue with standardized testing in and of itself. I have issues with how we use standardized testing results. I think the bottom-line is that our kids are going to have to take tests for the foreseeable future, so they might as well get used to taking them every year. My son took them in K, and they aren't a big deal, they are "standardized tests with traininng wheels." If there's a real positive, it may help kids not become anxious about them, the more early exposure they get.

Aussie Barb

PF Regular
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney Australia
Standardised testing does seem a bit extreme when a child is young. However the great thing is that, should there be some problem areas that need attention early testing will highlight this and the child can get help sooner rather than later. All evidence points to early intervention being the most effective.
Aussie Barb, Speech Pathologist

mrrobinson

Banned
Mar 22, 2011
buddylovebabi said:
Well, I work in a Kindergarten (I know there are a lot of UK users on here, but I have no idea if you guys have kindergarten, it's basically the first primary school year, before 1st grade) Anyway, these kids are 5-6 years old, and they have to prepare for standerdized testing!! They don't fill in bubbles like other students though, they are orally gven a question and have to answer a certain way in an allotted time. I for one, never took a standerdized test until I was in about 4th grade. And I'm only 20, so it hasn't been that long!!

Is it ok for 5 year olds to take standerdized testing? I just couldn't beleive it when I found out!
How better to single out the weak minded early for assimilation into the proper professions?