Start liking books...

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
Is there a reason why you want him to read more? I never was a reader, though I was very good at it. My advice would be to make it seem more interesting and fun to him. Try to help him see that the stories are exciting and fun to read.

PeggyJo

Dec 23, 2014
Reading comes to one by itself. Some may not be readers. Try buying him some books or taking him to the library.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
I'm with Cybele, let him pick his own books, that might help.
But PeggyJo has a point too, not everyone likes to read.

How you approach it will also depend on his age, what is his age?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Reading is important. Kids won't be into reading when they are having trouble with reading so pick out some really simple books, but also pick out books that are a bit harder and read them to him. Some parents point out the words while reading. You can also take turns reading sentences. When he comes to a harder, longer word break it down for him by covering half the word and sounding out the syllables. There are also books that have no words, just pictures so you can make up the story according to how you interpret the illustrations. It can be something different every time.

TiffanyLovesBil

Jul 2, 2014
My little one is still to young for that but I want to share what my parents did to motivate me and my brother to read. We had our cute cozy reading corner stuffed with picture books, and we also did brain breaks to let our wiggles out. Sometimes our mom asked us to play and imagine that we are those characters that we had just read about. For example, she used to ask us to imagine what happens next and then act it out.