State to mom: Stop baby-sitting neighbors' kids...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
currently only family watch my kids (and not all family)...lol not because I don't trust my friends but because my mom or MIL are always willing and able. I totally get what you're saying though Xero. When I had DL none of my friends were moms. we were all young and I didn't leave her with anyone but my mom or my close friend at the time who is about 7 yrs older than me and already had 2 kids of her own. She was a huge help for me as a young mom

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
background checks and licenses only go so far, and they've become a panacea. If parents did their work then we wouldn't need the state to make such ridiculous laws.

All of these cases where good, well intentioned people are cited for technical violations while grossly neglegent cases continue to allude the protective agencies is ludacris.

We trust the care of our kids to an in home daycare mom who is not licensed. She was upfront with us on exactly why she wasn't licensed and it's not illegal here for her to operrate that way. We know her, we've done our investigative work, she was the long time assistant director of a daycare center where we took our older child, so we feel as comfotable with her as we would any licensed caregiver, probably more. Does that mean we don't have misgivings from time to time, or question the way something's been done? Of course we do. Nobody's perfect, and she has to make judgement calls daily. When we have questions about the way something was handled, we ask her. Just because you place your kids in someone elses care, doesn't mean you get to stop parenting.

This kind of institutional "oversight" is scary and dangerous. It's turning us into a society that subjugates our responsibilities to the state. We are close to having a society that can in no way take care of itself without government.

rant over.
(sorry)