Stay at home mom: not a real job?...

jgomez65

PF Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008
&lt;r&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;, where the local wireless telephone company refused to sell a high end cell phone to a stay at home mother simply because she did not have a regular job outside the home. To add insult to injury, the sales person recommended to this woman to go out there and find a “real job” if she wanted to qualify to purchase the phone.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt; &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I am upset, but I am not surprise. More and more every day, society looks at stay at home moms as second class citizens. They are ridiculed in TV series, they are criticized by the feminist movement and they are not appreciated in general.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt; &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;How many of us would work 7 days a week, for 12 to 14 hours a day and not receive a single penny in return? How many of us would take a job with no health insurance, no paid vacation, no 1 hour lunch break and no paid sick days? I can assure you not many would do it, yet that is what stay at home moms do every single day. And what do they get in return from society? Nothing but criticism. The feminist movement called them submissive and unliberated, corporation tell us that they are not worthy of owning a cell phone and society tells them they are not successful because they don’t have careers in some big corporations.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Have we gotten to the point where we put more value on the material things than in the value of a family?&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;As a final note, several women groups are calling for a boycott on the telephone company. Hopefully enough people will join the campaign to make the company change its policy and start valuing what really matter: having a mom at home doing what thy do best, being a mom.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
it is pretty amazing how peoplelook at SAHMs like they don't actually work...lol I work harder than a lot of people I know

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Have we gotten to the point where we put more value on the material things than in the value of a family?</SIZE>[/FONT][/quote]

Heck no. We haven't just reached that point, we passed it ages ago.

This year it became clear that we've also passed the threshold where our society puts more value on the acquisition of material things than it does on the value of human life.

:veryconfused:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I feel tha womans pain, even though my husbands income (in our state) is 50% mine, I still have to take him in and have him sign for things "because he is the one who works and brings home the check". It urks me to no end that I have to have my husband sign everything that involves andy form of credit, makes want a part time job just so I can feel grown up and get something on my own!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I've been a SAHM for 12 years and have never had any problems like this. Both our names are on the mortgage and all accounts. We both have excellent credit and I've never had to get my husband to sign anything for me.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I have told DW a million time that I would not want to trade places. I love my kids and love being around them. But I dont have the patience for that 24/7

Thats why I always try and give her a break when I am home.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Trina said:
I've been a SAHM for 12 years and have never had any problems like this. Both our names are on the mortgage and all accounts. We both have excellent credit and I've never had to get my husband to sign anything for me.
It's probably a bit different for you Trina, since you were in the "career" field before you were a SAHM. What about the SAHM's that were never "employed".

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Dadu2004 said:
It's probably a bit different for you Trina, since you were in the "career" field before you were a SAHM. What about the SAHM's that were never "employed".

I have never really had a career, and I do think that makes a difference, it has been 11-12 years since I have held any form of job and I was in my mid 20's at the time, so I do think that makes a difference.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I was a waitress before being a SAHM, I couldn't get anything without DH even though when I was working I made more $$ than him

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
So...I'm going to derail this thread just a touch, yet still kind of stay on topic. I think we all (hopefully) agree that a SAHM is an incredible job done by an incredible woman.

For you SAHM's, what do you find to be rewarding about it? Are you thankful that you are a SAHM, or do you want to get back in the career field?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I wouldn't go back for anything. I love that I get to watch every second of my childrens development and be a part of things at my daughter's school without hassle.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Dadu2004 said:
So...I'm going to derail this thread just a touch, yet still kind of stay on topic. I think we all (hopefully) agree that a SAHM is an incredible job done by an incredible woman.

For you SAHM's, what do you find to be rewarding about it? Are you thankful that you are a SAHM, or do you want to get back in the career field?

It can be rewarding, but there are days that make me question why I stay home. I am thankfull that I have the option to stay home (which is my husbands preference). But it is also know that at some point I want a job, doesn't have to be "career" orinented, just something where I am with adults again.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
But we all know that the people at Vodafone are a bunch of idiots...

Im tempted to go in there now and try to purchase a phone.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Of course it's a <I>real</I> job. But I can't really blame them for not giving her a phone plan without proof of income. It's not like it's unheard of for people to run up phone bills and not pay them.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I'm with Sirk on this one, and sadly I have to agree with the phone company...they weren't really asking "what do you do all day?", they were asking for proof of income, and the person did not have that. Chances are the bank, the car dealership, the credit card company etc, will all say the same thing. "Sorry about your luck"...but you have to look at their theory...you could have the richest hubby on the planet, but if he leaves you, and takes his fortune with him, where are they gonna get their money, that's why they want his signature to protect themselves.

I guess I get the best of both worlds being a Stay/Work at home Dad...I love it.

What behooves me about it, is that this actually passes for news.

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
Only a moron - or someone who doesn't have kids - would think the job of a SAHM is easy. I honestly don't know how my wife does it - she's awesome.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
jayman said:
Only a moron - or someone who doesn't have kids - would think the job of a SAHM is easy. I honestly don't know how my wife does it - she's awesome.
Wanna hear about my day?

I woke up at 7:30am...got K fed, dressed and ready for school, walked her to school at 8:30...walked home, house is clean, so what else is there except "Nappy Time" on the couch - hahaha...had lunch, read for a bit, watched TV...shoveled a bit of snow, lazed on the couch a bit more...picked up K at 3:00pm, came home played games...babysitter showed up (actually more like occupier, as I'm just teaching downstairs)...K went to bed 8pm and now I'm just chillin'.

I have to admit not all days are like this, but most are.

I actually do find it pretty easy. I even thought it was easy before she started school, but I imagine several kids and your child's behavior is where it gets trickier.

So far, so good for me though. Zero complaints.