stomach flu in 5 day old...

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
My wife and I have a new baby boy: just 5 days old.

we also have a 2 year old daughter. On exactly the same day our son was being born, she came down with a terrile stomach flu. She's getting over it now quite well, and thankfully our son doesn't seem to have it... yet.

But I worry.

What if he does catch it? How does a 5 day old handle viral infections - specially the kind that upsets the stomach and puts you at risk for dehydration (it was bad enough to warrant an IV for our daughter). As I say, he doesn't seem to have it yet, but I worry.

What are the signs in a 5 day old of having the stomach flu and what are the prescribed actions to take? I can't imagine it would take long for things (like dehydration) to take hold on a child just newly born. I heard that breast feeding can work wonders because of all the antibodies in the breast milk. Is this true, and if so, how powerful a defense is this against viruses?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Breastfeeding is definitely a powerful defense against things like getting sick, so if mom is doing that then baby is just that much more protected. :) And chances are, that little, he probably wont get it. Especially if sister is already getting over it, he would have had it by now I'm thinking. I just wouldn't allow too much close contact with sister until she's all better, and wash your hands/use hand sanitizer often. I wouldn't worry too much, I be he wont pick it up. If he does though, you'll know pretty much right away. Its not a mysertious thing. DS had the stomach flu a few times as a baby, the youngest being probably like 3 months old (ugh, awful) and the first few things you will notice would be like loss of appetite, lots of crying for what appears to be no reason (but you might be able to tell its out of discomfort), then of course throwing up. DS would just throw up and throw up and throw up oh my goodness it was awful. We were always pretty good at preventing dehydration, we just kept giving him small amounts of pedialyte pretty often, even if he kept throwing it up we would offer it to him if he would take it. One way or the other, at least he wasn't dry heaving (ouch) and at least the few minutes it did stay down he was probably absorbing something. I always felt terrible when he got the stomach flu though, he would generally lose a couple pounds, which is a lot when you only have like 10-15lbs to work with to start, you know?

But good luck, I hope it stays away from the little guy. :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
First of all, Congratulations on your new arrival! What a joy. I have a two month old baby boy myself, as well as a 9.5 year old boy.

When my son was born, my husband and son were both sick. I too was pretty worried about the baby being exposed. Breastfeeding is probably the best thing you can do to keep the newborn healthy. Breast milk is loaded with just the right stuff to keep a baby healthy. The next best thing is to limit exposure to anyone who is sick. Your daughter is probably not contagious any more, but it never hurts to take this opportunity to teach her about hand washing. And you might want to tell her that she shouldn't touch her baby brothers hands (because babies put their hands in their mouths a lot) unless she has washed or used hand sanitizer. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my diaper bag just in case I know my hands are not so clean and I can't get to a sink to wash them. I'm not crazy about the stuff...but I do use it on occasion (especially after a diaper change!).

Hope your daughter is feeling better. And again, congratulations on your new addition!

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks everyone for your advice,

Yes, he is breast feeding... a lot! Boy can he eat! And he's good at keeping it down. I've only seen him spit up once. His sister is over the flu now and no one else (except grandma) seems to have caught it (I'm taking Cold-FX just to be sure). So I think we're out of the woods. Again, thanks for the advice.