Strep again....

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
This is the fourth time my daughter has had strep since Oct. I took her to the ER last night.
The Dr came in and wanted to put an IV in her and start fluids and I said no that I would like a strep test done first because I can keep her fever down with a suppository enough to keep her hydrated. She wasn't dehydrated so I thought it was something that did not need to be done.
We waited for a few hours and he came back and said "I guess you are a better clinician then me because she does have strep" I thought it was pretty sad he had to even say that. How can you not notice strep? You are an ER doctor?
I think her pediatrician is going to suggest getting her tonsils taken out. :(
I can't blame her school because they have been out for a week. So it's been one heck of a weekend.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Poor kiddo! I'm surprised you haven't been advised to see an ENT. Before kids I got strep repeatedly. My doctor sent me to an ENT, who put me on low dose antibiotics for 3 months. Haven't had strep since.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We did see an ENT and he tested her for allergens which came out negative and also for cystic fibrosis which was negative. I'm at a loss.
Any tips? I feel like I am grabbing at straws.
I don't know what else to do.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I'm not a doctor, but what do allergens and CF have to do with strep?? I'd seek a second opinion. As the ENT explained to me, sometimes a strong strain of strep is hard to wipe out with the usual antibiotics prescribed. They knock it down, but not kill it entirely, which means it returns again and again. He said his next line of defense is to use a low dose of long term antibiotics. Worked for me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We did the low dose of antibiotics and it still came back, we did the high does it came back.
Her sinus' are still full with no air flow present. I guess they did all those tests to try and find out what is causing the sinus issue which in turn causes strep.
I just think this is too much for such a little girl.
I'm really not liking the idea of all these antibiotics but if I don't I'm afraid she'll get rheumatic fever (sp)
I wish I had your luck Trina.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
What a nightmare. {{{HUGS}}} I have a cyber pal who went through similar issues with her DD, but she's doing great now since having her tonsils and adnoids taken out. She's in FL, too. I'll ask her for more details.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I used to get strep 3 or 4 times a year. My mom and I were on our way to meet my dad at a boat show when I was 12. I spiked a fever on the way there and she found the nearest ER because the day before I kept telling her my throat hurt.

They ended up giving me a shot in the butt which I almost flew off the bed and I've had it twice since then. Don't ask me what the shot was but it hurt for a week.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
She seems to be great today. So time will tell. Thanks for all your concerns. I appreciate that.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
My daughter was constantly having strep and ear infections. She ended up getting her adnoids removed and tubes put in about 2 1/2 months ago. So far, so good...no illness. Thank God, because we were in the doctor about once every two weeks for about 2 years!