Such A Tragedy...

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
A girl that I hung out with in elementary school and went to high school with was found dead :( Her fiance is nowhere to be found. This is such a tragedy!!! She has a 4 yr old son who will never get to see his mommy again. I was not super close with her in the last 8 or 9 years, but whenever I saw her, she was such a sweetheart and always had such kind words. Apparently there is a police investigation happening, and it just makes me sick to think someone could take anothers life so easily. I feel for her son, and her sons father and her family (I know her younger sister as well), and couldn't imagine the hurt and pain of losing someone so dear. If there was only a way to bring people back who pass on so suddenly and without cause. She was only 26. Life is far too short.. RIP Laura. xoxo

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm sorry to hear the news. I hope both of their families are holding up during this time, and wish them all the best in dealing with this tragic loss.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That is so sad... :( A girl I went to highschool with passed away a year or two ago, was actually murdered in her apartment building. It was awful. And I was really freaked out over it for a while.

I feel so bad for her little boy and her family. My thoughts are with them. :(

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
That is very sad.

I never understand (as much as anybody can understand murder) peope who hurt people they are in relations with. If you have a beef with them, move on, live and let live. I can't help but think of my own kids when i see something like this and think what pain this child is and will be going through. Makes me want to leave work and go get my kids and hug them.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
so true. Even though it didn't happen in my city, it still hits close to home. her fiance is from here as well, and his sister is at a loss as to what has happened (he is nowhere to be found after they found laura dead) so its my assumption that either he did something, or something happened to him....i personally think its the first of the 2. And I agree IA dad. How could someone hurt the other person they are in a relationship with, move on and let bye-gones be bye-gones. but I guess some people are overwhelmingly jealous.... *sigh* my heart is heavy today.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
I'm not too sure. I think he has been with his dad fulltime, so thats probably how it is gonna stay. They set up a trust fund for him, which is great. Poor kid :( I thought he was 4 but hes actually 5. I feel so bad for him, because hes at the age where he will probably have some form of understanding of whats going on. Laura's funeral is on hayleigh's birthday (saturday) :(. So so so sad.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Yeah, you're right, he will comprehend more than people think.

But kids are resilient, and with lots of love and professional help, he can move on and cope.

When DS1 was 6, a classmate of his was the victim of an attempted murder at the hands of his mother and he witnessed the murder of his baby brother. No, I won't say the kid is fine, who would be after that? but he is coping, and he is getting continuing help and he's making it through, frankly , much better than I'd ever expect.

One thing the counselors told us, that may be useful to anyone you know close to him, is answer his questions, but only answer what he asks and tell the truth in ways he understands. Our tendancy as adults, is to try to circumvent thier questions, to try to explain thing we fear they may be concerned about, and the result is that sometimes we plant fears they otherwise wouldn't have. So, let them think, encourage them to ask, answer them simply and honestly and know it's probably harder on us to hear their questions than for them to ask them. Youth has brought them certain innocence that pays off in situtations like this.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
IADad is right - kids understand more than we think, but fortunately they are also very resilient.

My DD was 3 years and 2 weeks old when her mom died. I took her to a child-therapist, and she did weekly play-therapy sessions for a few months. Now, she goes back every six weeks just to make sure she's still coping, but really, she's OK. I can't say that she's 100% fine 100% of the time, but mostly she's a normal, happy (naughty :rolleyes:) little four year old, who twists her dad around her little finger :p. I don't think that she will grow up with too many issues. At least no more than any other child who looses a parent at such a young age.

Then again, who grows up without issues? Aren't all homes slightly dysfunctional on some level?

I think that getting a child like that professional help is essential, however. They can't really process what happened on their own, and now matter how much we love them, a parent who is dealing with their own grief just don't have what it takes to help them.